Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 559932 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1075 Shuffle the Deck
« Reply #2130 on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »

Alternatively one could view it as: Belkar now has additional ballistas.
And he can dual-wield...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 1077 All Clear
« Reply #2131 on: June 24, 2017, 09:32:39 am »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:02 am »

Lots of fourth wall commentary this strip. I'm not sure if it was successful, overall.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2133 on: June 24, 2017, 09:42:28 am »

Anyone know who this "Vaaruvius" person is? Some new supporting character...? :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 24, 2017, 04:24:33 pm »

So, what's the AC on the skin of a potato, that the attack of a raven familiar* could fail to pierce? Assuming we don't count him rolling a natural 1.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:09 pm »

Ravens have weapon finesse, so he's not actually half bad in the actually physically managing to hit department. However, since a potato is an object, it has a Hardness rating of some sort. Of course, I think most gms would call it hardness: 0. But maybe it was a tough old root and the gm called it hardness: 1, because of some oversight I can't imagine, there's not actually a hardness rating for a potato, that's within the realm of the gm to make up on the spot and thus possible. Ravens only do 1 damage, so, if it did have hardness 1, it would be immune to their scratches.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:34:57 pm by Criptfeind »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 24, 2017, 04:38:38 pm »

Use the master’s base attack bonus, as calculated from all his classes.
Oh wow, I'm not sure whether we used that.  My character, a druid, had an animal companion which basically just maximized AC and never dealt damage. (but we also had a wizard who would use that rule)

I called her Duskwing.  RIP Dustwing Bloodwing, fuck me, I've had it wrong for a long time somehow!  I really thought the Borderlands2 bird was "Dustwing"!

Duskwing did survive the campaign, at least, after I retired my character.  Druids OP pls retire
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 24, 2017, 04:40:23 pm »

So, what's the AC on the skin of a potato, that the attack of a raven familiar* could fail to pierce? Assuming we don't count him rolling a natural 1.
@ the abbreviation: It could have happened a while before, when they were lower level, and thus had a lower BAB.

The rules for inanimate objects' AC are: 10 + size modifier + Dexterity modifier. Quoting the SRD:
An inanimate object has not only a Dexterity of 0 (–5 penalty to AC), but also an additional –2 penalty to its AC.
Let's say a potato's a Diminutive object, so +4 to AC, giving it an AC of 7.

V would have to be pretty low level for a raven to not be able to hit the skin of a potato, but that's kind of irrelevant: a raven can't even do any damage, since it rolls a 1d2-5 for damage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 24, 2017, 04:44:44 pm »

but that's kind of irrelevant: a raven can't even do any damage, since it rolls a 1d2-5 for damage.
Damage rolls that result in lower then 1 still do one damage though (that's where the house cat vs commoner meme comes from after all). So technically it can still do damage. Just a very minute amount of it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 24, 2017, 05:45:56 pm »

That's just for the roll+modifiers. Hardness and Damage Reduction apply after the "minimum 1 damage" rule kicks in, and can reduce the damage to (but not below) zero.

Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Attacks that deal no damage because of the target’s damage reduction do not disrupt spells.

Hardness

Each object has hardness—a number that represents how well it resists damage. Whenever an object takes damage, subtract its hardness from the damage. Only damage in excess of its hardness is deducted from the object’s hit points (see Table: Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points; Table: Substance Hardness and Hit Points; and Table: Object Hardness and Hit Points).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:47:27 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 25, 2017, 01:21:07 am »

Anyone know who this "Vaaruvius" person is? Some new supporting character...? :P
Actually the elf is Eglamore.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 25, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »

So if I'm understanding this correctly in order to defeat a 20th level fighter with some 150 hp you would only need to summon about 200 ravens to take im out in one turn?  Isn't there some low level spell like 'summon swarm' or somesuch that could do that?   No wonder everyone says fighters suck.

Heck even less if the poor sod didn't take Great Cleave...   'I attack the ravens.'  "Ok you kill one raven."  'Ok cleave' "you killed another raven. Sadly you don't have great cleave. roll 198 D1 for damage."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:54:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 25, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »

Linear fighter, quadratic wizard.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: June 25, 2017, 12:58:48 pm »

So if I'm understanding this correctly in order to defeat a 20th level fighter with some 150 hp you would only need to summon about 200 ravens to take im out in one turn?  Isn't there some low level spell like 'summon swarm' or somesuch that could do that?   No wonder everyone says fighters suck.

Heck even less if the poor sod didn't take Great Cleave...   'I attack the ravens.'  "Ok you kill one raven."  'Ok cleave' "you killed another raven. Sadly you don't have great cleave. roll 198 D1 for damage."

Swarms work a little differently, they do an amount of guaranteed damage if I recall correctly, not several hundred individual attacks because that'd be bloody stupid. Granted, fighters without extra tricks are still in trouble when it comes to dealing with swarms since they tend to be borderline immune or actually immune to weapon damage.

It also reflects that 200 ravens likely couldn't muster the necessary surface area to all attack one Medium-sized fighter. Even for Tiny or Diminutive creatures there are limits.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 25, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »

In 3.5, 4 tiny creatures can fit into one square, 25 diminutive and 100 fine.
A tiny creature like a raven has a reach of 0 feet, so it would have to occupy the same square.
Therefore 4 ravens could attack someone at once if they aren't being counted as a swarm.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 313