Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558517 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: The new Order of the Stick thread: 916 Executive Orders
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

Re: latest comic

Well then.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

Okay, Belkar dies, and Durkon rezzes him the fast way. Or he just stays dead. Also, not sure this is a good move on Tarquin's part- He's removing 3/4 of Elan's team!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »

Hey, you know how it is. Kill off most of the hero's friends, and it'll only make his resolve and cause stronger for the inevitable comeback.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:36 pm »

This is why I never play Evil-aligned characters - I'd have some degree of remorse when it came to pulling off something like what Tarquin is pulling.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

I don't. The people I put to the sword (actually, mostly axe when I play bad people) aren't real, so I get to just enjoy the glorious, glorious slaughter of the fictional innocent.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: The new Order of the Stick thread: 917 Hold On
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2013, 03:23:10 pm »

Aaand another one.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

Indeed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

Posting to watch for a dramatic opportunity tor my dark twist reveal.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »

hmm... I wonder if Tarquin's recent comments about Xykon being a sub-boss count as "pride before the fall". Particularily considering how underestimating X is correlated to bad things happening afterwards

(I also wonder if his comeuppance will be being brough down by him, both in the sense that it establishes HIM as the sub-boss, and that a chaotic character is the one beating him)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2013, 05:26:04 pm »

It's very likely that Tarquin will be casually murdered by Xykon at some point, yeah. He understands the rules of storytelling and all that very well, but the problem is that he misevaluates his own position in the story (amusingly enough, he'd probably be able to recognize this if he actually critically examined what his own role has been so far, but he won't).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2013, 05:28:28 pm »

I doubt Tarquin could be casually murdered by Xyklon. If nothing else, he would appreciate the potential of a shocking antagonist switch. Besides, both of them have vast armies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »

I'm pretty convinced Tarquin will be killed by the demonlady. Possibly while remarking on how he should have realised (because rule of drama) she would have to revenge her murdered boyfriend and how it would be her because it allows the hero to triumph over him without having the blame of murdered his own father.
Love, scriver~

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »

I think I like Tarquin entirely too much.

It's very likely that Tarquin will be casually murdered by Xykon at some point, yeah. He understands the rules of storytelling and all that very well, but the problem is that he misevaluates his own position in the story (amusingly enough, he'd probably be able to recognize this if he actually critically examined what his own role has been so far, but he won't).
I'm pretty convinced Tarquin will be killed by the demonlady. Possibly while remarking on how he should have realised (because rule of drama) she would have to revenge her murdered boyfriend and how it would be her because it allows the hero to triumph over him without having the blame of murdered his own father.
The problem with both of these is that he's not stupid, he's not careless, and he's not insignificant in pretty much any regard. Getting taken completely by surprise, even by an epic or nearly so lich, doesn't sound likely unless Xykon gets reeaaaaally clever pretty much out of nowhere- something he hasn't really been known for so far.

Getting taken out by Sabine in some fashion is far more likely, but she'd also need to get incredibly clever and/or pull some strings regarding her superiors. I don't doubt she'll be relevant to something in some fashion, but she doesn't really have a visible path to Tarquin at the moment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »

I wouldn't underestimate Xykon too much, I think to some unknown extent the stupid act is just an act. I mean I'm pretty sure he suspects that Red Cloak is keeping back details about the whole rift situation, and he's had some very shrewd moments in the past. But that aside you're kind of ignoring Redcloak here. I mean it may sound kind of weird, but I think that Redcloak is actually a more important antagonist to worry about that Xykon.

I mean Redcloak may be playing a very dedicated advisor role, but at the end of the day he's been lying to Xykon about the rifts (Xykon can't feasibly use it to take over the world), and he's always been the one with the plan that gets things done. I reckon that once Xykon has helped him secure the last rift, he's going to just wind up offing Xykon, and then becoming the primary villain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2013, 09:02:59 am »

Xykon isn't stupid, he's lazy. Important difference. And after the stunt with the elf and the paladin he's going to make sure not to play around anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 313