Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 575678 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4110 on: December 22, 2020, 12:03:43 am »

It would make sense that the key to actually finding the rift is having a Rogue.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4111 on: December 27, 2020, 02:46:08 pm »

It would make sense that the key to actually finding the rift is having a Rogue.
Of course he would make a 5 dimensional dungeon, rogues not even once

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 01, 2021, 12:12:46 pm »

I realized the other day, there was an Evil Rogue in the comic: Nale*. Granted, probably not a good... effective Rogue, but he still had levels in that class.

Might be a good thing he died at the other Gate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: January 01, 2021, 01:03:09 pm »

Might be a good thing he died at the other Gate.
Oh, for sure - his death advanced Sabine's character development!  I'm looking forward to how her seemingly genuine rage and sorrow over his death is followed up on.

Edit:  It's just kinda weird - she's literally a demon, not even a devil.  But even outsiders aren't purely defined by their alignment (just... almost purely).  There is that succubus paladin in official material who showed up both on Detect Good and Detect Evil or whatnot.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:05:47 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 01, 2021, 01:25:27 pm »

Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: January 01, 2021, 03:02:53 pm »

Fall from Grace was in theory Lawful Neutral. Though in practice she behaved like a genuinely good person.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: January 11, 2021, 10:14:29 am »

I was thinking about something else. You know how, of the Southern Gods, the Rat is aware of The Dark One being a new color quiddity and Redcloak is the only (known) cleric of TDO that is powerful enough to channel his power into sealing the Rifts?

Going back to the battle of Azure City, Soon Kim and his group of Paladin Deathless very nearly kills both Xykon and Redcloak. This would have prevented Team Evil from threatening the gods with releasing the Snarl into their planes. But it would also have prevented Rat, Tiamat, and Thor&Loki from getting The Dark One's help in creating a nearly permanent seal on the Rifts. And what stopped that from happening? A series of events, highly unlikely individually and almost certainly providence taken together.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: January 11, 2021, 07:08:39 pm »

But I mean, as of right now Redcloak dying might actually be better for the Dark One in the long run than him being around...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:07 pm »

I like the theory about Rat.  Miko's story doesn't *demand* it, but it would fit very well.

And yeah, the Dark One definitely stands to benefit here.  Redcloak's semi-justified xenophobia is standing in the way.  I wonder if tDO may become aware of the deal through Redcloak being his high priest, or if Redcloak can keep that information from his god.

Ur-priest Redcloak when? (pretty obscure 3.5 stuff so probably unlikely, but I'd love it).  The very short description would be "A cleric who steals divine magic from deities and other spellcasters". 

(I've always held the idea that a Cleric's level represents their power to channel power like any other spellcaster, not just the favor of their deity.  So why couldn't a powerful Cleric "shop around", or even leech divine spells via deception (the ur-priest prestige class.))
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4119 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:42 am »

So if Miko was being played for a pawn who was playing her? I would guess Hel or Loki but I've lost the plot of OOTS multiple times in between updates

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: January 19, 2021, 11:16:12 am »

I like the theory about Rat.  Miko's story doesn't *demand* it, but it would fit very well.

And yeah, the Dark One definitely stands to benefit here.  Redcloak's semi-justified xenophobia is standing in the way.  I wonder if tDO may become aware of the deal through Redcloak being his high priest, or if Redcloak can keep that information from his god.

Ur-priest Redcloak when? (pretty obscure 3.5 stuff so probably unlikely, but I'd love it).  The very short description would be "A cleric who steals divine magic from deities and other spellcasters". 

(I've always held the idea that a Cleric's level represents their power to channel power like any other spellcaster, not just the favor of their deity.  So why couldn't a powerful Cleric "shop around", or even leech divine spells via deception (the ur-priest prestige class.))

I have another idea though. If Redcloak's actions go against both goblinkind and tDO, tDO may excommunicate him and pick another high priest.

I also think that clerical level is their power, rather than their direct standing with their god. Otherwise it would not make sense, that a gods Chosen One can be on level 1.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:33 pm »

Clerical level is just an indication of how much paperwork they've sorted out and filed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:32 pm »

I'd kind of find interesting a system where different classes/jobs get xp/level up by doing different things. Fighters level by fighting things, Clerics level by pleasing their god, Wizards level by finding knowledge and performing experiments and such.

It would be impossible to balance and would fuel division in the party, but... it'd be cool? :v

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: January 19, 2021, 12:53:13 pm »

Bards though
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: January 19, 2021, 12:55:32 pm »

TBH I find the idea of clerics as independent power-channelers more appealing. Like in PoE, where the power came from their belief in some principle which might match a deity´s(with potentially odd situations like Durance who was in *very* bad terms with his deity yet was fairly mighty as a priest due to his dedication to his principles). Alternatively, make clerics god-dependent but not fully free-willed, their actions and their outcomes influenceable by whoever they´re channeling. Thus, even a cleric that abandons the principles of his church will have power because some other entity will be willing to charge his batteries (and in exchange, influence events through the cleric)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 313