Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 575668 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4140 on: January 23, 2021, 01:12:50 am »

I like how the detailed explanation of the trap's mechanism shows that Rich too has dealt with players who ask way too many question about how my BBEG Artificer made a portal gun.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: January 23, 2021, 05:38:49 pm »

I would think all xylon would need to do is cast a magic missile.  This was ages ago in I think 3rd edition but I remember planning a campaign in an old PC game where the good guys were fighting the big bad and he was toying with them by being set to only only cast level 1 spells.

It ended up not working too well because his magic missile still hit for something like 20.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: January 23, 2021, 06:16:27 pm »

Ahh yes, back when "Caster Level" was a thing, and a very *big* thing for certain spells...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: January 23, 2021, 08:04:09 pm »

I would think all xylon would need to do is cast a magic missile.  This was ages ago in I think 3rd edition but I remember planning a campaign in an old PC game where the good guys were fighting the big bad and he was toying with them by being set to only only cast level 1 spells.

It ended up not working too well because his magic missile still hit for something like 20.
Was it Baldur's gate? First foe you met in Friendly Arm can oneshot you with magic missile. He's not even that high level, he's probably level 4 or so. Its just that even his lame wizard level is enough to oneshot you with a single cast of magic missile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: January 24, 2021, 04:41:34 am »

Was it Baldur's gate? First foe you met in Friendly Arm can oneshot you with magic missile. He's not even that high level, he's probably level 4 or so. Its just that even his lame wizard level is enough to oneshot you with a single cast of magic missile
Tarnesh... *Shakes fist at sky*

Tarnesh is actually level 5, which is exactly high enough to get that third missile in Magic Missile for (1d4+1)x3 damage at a time when you're most likely still level 2-3 at most. And in BG1, the Shield spell doesn't block it... Yippee!

When I played as a kid, I used to just get him to spot Montaron first and try talking to him, while I kited him around the back of the building :P... Sacrificed the wee midget, but it got that darn mage out of my hair!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: January 24, 2021, 06:23:32 am »

Honestly I kind of assumed that Xzar and Montaron were the default "canon" party rather than Khalil and Jaheira, simply because the trip to FriendlyArm was so suicidal.

I think level 2-3 is overoptimistic and reliant on doing Nashkell first. The way the game is set you are supposed to go to Friendly Arm first and you'll be a flat level 1. It's nuts.

For that matter I have to say something that I only realized after beating the game: the level 5 cap means playing as a wizard is insta-hardmode in vanilla BG1 as you'll be dramaticaly underpowered compared to most encounters.

(Also for what it's worth: Edwin is a far better wizard than PC will ever be in either game. Sorcerer PC comes close thanks to versatile spells and the possibility to do high wis high int to abuse the wish spells. But other than that particular setup there's no wizard approach in which Edwin won't perform better.  Shit, he even has more spell slots than a *sorcerer* PC.

I think that outside the sorcerer/wish scenario if you want a spellcaster it's probably better to play a self-buffing ranged bard or wizard/thief than a regular wizard.

Or a priest I guess. But tbh priests always felt kind of weird in D&D and feel even weirder given the plot of BG 1&2.

Unless you choose to interpretate them as PoE style priests (or Fall from Grace in Planescape:Torment) in which a priest's power comes from their faith/conviction, and alignment to a deity is frequent but not mandatory (Eg: FfG's belief in experience, Durance's mighty priestly abilities despite being on non-speaking terms with his goddess due to his firm belief in his goddess' principles.)

Those takes would work I guess. Otherwise... well I wont spoil the reveal in case someone hasnt played it and wants to, but those of you who have... it doesn't make a lot of sense that the main PC would be a *regular* deity aligned character, does it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:39:44 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: January 24, 2021, 07:39:49 am »

"MONTARON! You are so AGGRAVATING! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

There's also stuff like the (in)famous Fighter-Mage dual class, but that's not really much of an option for BG1, regardless of how much face it might kick later on.

Or, in the old versions, Cleric/Ranger multi and opening up the entirety of both the Cleric and Druid spell lists :P

But yeah, the cleric devotion thingy was definitely something I thought about as well... Although to be fair, they *were* raised in what's effectively a monastery, and I'm sure there are plenty of deities out there who wouldn't pass on the chance to have *that* as a devotee.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: January 24, 2021, 06:03:29 pm »

Nah it was a really old game called Unlimited Adventures, predates Baldur's gate.  Does not run on modern PCs, even DOSBox crashes last I tried a few years back.  You could create your own game in it. It was really ahead of it's time.

Baldur's gate is an awesome game though, I remember it had a Drizzt cameo, which was awesome to younger me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:06:45 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: January 24, 2021, 06:08:07 pm »

It definitely did, yeah. I spent more time than I probably should have killing him for his loot before leaving the starting keep, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: January 26, 2021, 12:38:05 am »

Can someone explain this to me like I'm 12?  I just don't get it.  (and the GiantITP thread didn't help.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.)

Roy:  "The floor color basically confirms our hypothesis.  It's a sign that we're not in the same tunnel."  But doesn't that mean they WERE gated?  After disabling the "trap"?

Roy: "I think we're in the actual tunnel that's physically connected to that door." - While pointing at the doorway they just walked through.

Wouldn't that mean they WEREN'T gated???

I'm so confused.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1223.html

Edit: I'm saying Gate because a Gate spell might actually work like this.  A triggered teleportation wouldn't.  But as V pointed out, the gate the baddies took has to be to the prime material plane.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:41:33 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: January 26, 2021, 01:23:33 am »

I think the trap works in both ways and the tunnel's floor was painted with the trap active.

So the painter started at the door with green, triggered the trap, and continued with green.
Then he returned, not triggering the trap, an ended in the dead end. He then started with yellow, went through the trap triggering it again, and painted the real place yellow.

When Roy looks back through the trap, it is active and he looks through the stargate.

And "the same tunnel" I understand as "the same tunnel as Blackwing and team Xykon".
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: January 26, 2021, 10:08:08 am »

It could also just be that dirt has accumulated in the "accessible" parts of the trap, i.e. the places where you go if you don't figure it out. That would make the floor darker in everywhere else.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:57 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: January 27, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »

Those are clearly the wafting waves of someone making delicious food.

The paladins are surely in for a tasty treat!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4154 on: January 29, 2021, 04:11:33 pm »

Could be wafts of cold arctic farts
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 313