Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: AREA GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like  (Read 15870 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: AREA GUNIN: Idea Dump, Things I Like
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:43 pm »

I can usually only follow this on my ipod, so trying to go back pages for references is a pain, and that update was a while ago.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2014, 04:59:42 pm »

I update these on my ipod m9. Get on my level.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »

I update these on my ipod m9. Get on my level.
Do you update in areas with sporadic internet availability on a time limit?
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:50 pm »

Code: [Select]
[15:19] GUNINANRUNIN retired swordsman is living a quiet rural life
[15:20] GUNINANRUNIN he's seen it all. he's killed all kinds as a freelancer.
[15:20] |<-- Reverie has left darkmyst.org (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[15:21] GUNINANRUNIN one day someone knocks on his door, an old friend about his age who gave up the merc life to become a commander for the militia
[15:22] GUNINANRUNIN tells him his son is dead
[15:23] GUNINANRUNIN and gives him his son's broken sword
[15:23] BMM42 ouch
[15:24] GUNINANRUNIN he's dying inside, and his friend leaves him to his grief
[15:25] GUNINANRUNIN he resolves to kill the guy who did it, problem is he has no idea who it was
[15:27] BMM42 So what does he do?
[15:28] GUNINANRUNIN so, unsure what to do, he reforges his son's blade (which he made himself in the first place so that only adds to the pain this guy is feeling right now) and abandons his home sets out to wander, kind of hoping someone will kill him
[15:29] -->| Culise (montblanc@84-133-59-8.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com) has joined #feftalk
[15:29] GUNINANRUNIN he travels for a year, he has yet to be killed by anyone he's picked a fight with, and one day he happens upon some mercenaries
[15:29] BMM42 That sounds real sad
[15:30] GUNINANRUNIN some of them knew his son
[15:31] GUNINANRUNIN he finds out he was struck down by another merc, a guy who's well known for working for the Empire
[15:32] GUNINANRUNIN and this is where the overarching plot about the big war between the Empire and the rest of the world gets exposited
[15:32] GUNINANRUNIN which has been going on in the background for a few years now
[15:33] BMM42 okay
[15:34] GUNINANRUNIN also i havent decided how is wife died yet
[15:34] BMM42 Natural causes is always good
[15:35] GUNINANRUNIN but its definitely going to be somehow indirectly his fault because his story isnt sad enough yet
[15:35] GUNINANRUNIN anyways: so imperials
[15:37] GUNINANRUNIN im going to make it a point that they're not all going to be completely irredeemable bastards who kick puppies, but they're definitely going to be ambitious
[15:37] GUNINANRUNIN in the sense that they're trying to conquer everybody :v
[15:37] Culise But I've been assured on the highest authority that puppies are so eminently puntable.
[15:37] Culise
[15:40] -->| Xanmy (What_Is_Th@209.106.wni.gn) has joined #feftalk
[15:42] BMM42 you never punt puppies
[15:42] BMM42 tiny dogs yes, but not puppies
[15:43] BMM42 hey xanmy
[15:44] Culise Tiny dogs? Our poodle's thoughts: http://i.imgur.com/Uiba0zP.png
[15:44] GUNINANRUNIN "punt me"
[15:44] Xanmy Ave, BMM
[15:44] GUNINANRUNIN said the dog's eyes
[15:45] Xanmy Also, heyya Culise, nice to see you here.
[15:45] Culise More of an "I will murder you in your sleep."
[15:45] Culise Hey, Xan. ^_^
[15:50] Culise Oh, drat. Got to go.
[15:50] |<-- Culise has left darkmyst.org (Quit: TTFN)
[15:50] BMM42 Huh. That was sudden
[15:53] GUNINANRUNIN where was i *scroll* *scroll*
[15:53] GUNINANRUNIN im glad you find this interesting though bmm
[15:56] GUNINANRUNIN so he thanks the mercs and moves on. he's feeling good now that he has a purpose
[15:58] GUNINANRUNIN he walks for two weeks until he finally reaches the Norzlands, where a huge battle is raging between the Empire and the Confederacy (these are just placeholder names)
[15:59] BMM42 okay
[15:59] GUNINANRUNIN the Norzlands are a big taiga-like region
[15:59] GUNINANRUNIN needs to build map
[16:00] GUNINANRUNIN they're duking it out atop a massive river that's frozen and been snowed over
[16:01] GUNINANRUNIN the protag doesnt want to get killed by someone who thinks he's a scout, so he goes upriver to try and get around the fighting
[16:04] GUNINANRUNIN he finds a safe place to cross where the river narrows, and he runs into a platoon of skirmishers who are watching the area
[16:04] GUNINANRUNIN they confront him atop the frozen river. he's totally outnumbered and they're not interested in prisoners
[16:05] GUNINANRUNIN thats when the river thaws
[16:05] BMM42 That sounds nice and dramatic
[16:05] Glowcat has been considering (ironically enough) a FEF game where players belong to the "Evil" Empire and fight against Liberty Coalition. Somewhat inspired by Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment.
[16:06] Glowcat Wait, that's more coincidence than irony
[16:06] Glowcat bops self
[16:07] GUNINANRUNIN spring came days earlier than expected, and all the warm water rushed down from the mountains right at the particular moment, as the Empire was mounting a cavalry charge
[16:07] GUNINANRUNIN across the river
[16:07] BMM42 that is spectacularly unlucky for them.
[16:08] GUNINANRUNIN basically everyone drowns except the protag and the skirmishers, who flee together to the opposite side of the river
[16:08] GUNINANRUNIN confeds take heavy casualties and empire forces, who were winning (and consequently had been advancing across the river) are completely wiped out
[16:09] GUNINANRUNIN they were located directly on the river, whilst the confed was just sort of largely located along the bank. so a couple hundred out of thousands made it to shore in time
[16:11] GUNINANRUNIN as soon as they get back onto solid ground, the protag and the remaining skirmishers who didnt drown or get wounded resume their fight. he takes them out in a lengthy scene of combat
[16:15] GUNINANRUNIN the protag is badly wounded
[16:15] BMM42 okay
[16:15] GUNINANRUNIN he's going to die
[16:16] BMM42 Yeah, then what happens?
[16:16] GUNINANRUNIN he looks up and there's an airship overhead. its there to pick up the broken confed army
[16:17] GUNINANRUNIN he killed all the skirmishers with his sword, so he walks downriver a bit until he finds one of them who managed to get to shore
[16:18] GUNINANRUNIN rather, all the ones who followed him. some of them had fallen in the river and one managed to get out from under the ice somehow
[16:19] GUNINANRUNIN anyways, he strangles that guy and puts on his wet clothes, then limps over and joins the stream of wounded boarding the airship
[16:20] GUNINANRUNIN sorry, not wounded. they didnt have any wounded, which is why he couldnt take any of the bloodied clothes
[16:21] GUNINANRUNIN so he's hurt, and trying to hide it, and trying not to die, and he's surrounded by people who are going to kill him if they find out he's not an irregular
[16:22] |<-- Khaiel has left darkmyst.org (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[16:23] GUNINANRUNIN airships are /big/, but he gets caught before he can hide
[16:23] GUNINANRUNIN doesn't make it very far
[16:24] BMM42 Okay, how does he get out of that?
[16:24] GUNINANRUNIN confed airships are slave-powered.
[16:24] GUNINANRUNIN so they treat him, then put him to work
[16:24] BMM42 ah
[16:24] Xanmy is curious what this is.
[16:25] GUNINANRUNIN the confederacy is an island nation, and they were in the heart of the continent, so it takes months to get back home since airships are slow
[16:25] GUNINANRUNIN that is, the Norzlands is located in the heart of the continent
[16:26] GUNINANRUNIN so thats plenty of time for him to recover and experience being a slave for a while
[16:27] GUNINANRUNIN more expositing about the other nations, since confed kidnap people from all kinds of places so he gets to hear stories when they're not shoveling fuel
[16:28] GUNINANRUNIN protag is /major distressed/ that he's being flown away from the empire, since he was pretty close to getting to the continent where he could then track down the guy who killed his son
[16:28] GUNINANRUNIN [s]continent[/s] country
[16:29] BMM42 Yeah, so what happens when they land?
[16:29] GUNINANRUNIN his resolve is stronger than ever.
[16:29] GUNINANRUNIN they dont land
[16:29] GUNINANRUNIN they're just about to clear the continent, when they get shot down
[16:29] GUNINANRUNIN by cannon fire
[16:30] BMM42 That's unfortunate.
[16:31] GUNINANRUNIN its fortunate for the protag, since now he's back on the continent
[16:33] GUNINANRUNIN earlier there would have been some overheard concern that they're being blown slightly off course by the summer winds. and as they were passing over the desert they accidentally came too close to the desert fortress Harfaz
[16:33] GUNINANRUNIN which is the only thing ive actually named so far
[16:34] -->| Furtuka (chatzilla@olnkw-60-035.resnet.wisc.edu) has joined #feftalk
[16:35] GUNINANRUNIN normally it would have been fine, since the confed give it a very wide berth, but the cannons on the walls had recently been upgraded, increasing their range by a few hundred meters. that combined with the unseasonal wind spelled their doom
[16:36] BMM42 ouch
[16:38] GUNINANRUNIN so boom, crash, airship plows into the sand. everyone onboard is actually mostly fine since the cannons only blew up some of the slave compartments on the starboard side that were turning the main prop, which had been keeping the ship aloft, so it just sort of reduced altitude at a slightly unsafe rate
[16:39] BMM42 and killed an ass-ton of slaves, but yeah
[16:39] GUNINANRUNIN ayup. its also on fire
[16:40] GUNINANRUNIN but this is pretty much exactly what the desert peoples want. to capture the ship as intact as possible. since they dont have the kind of material needed to build an airship
[16:40] GUNINANRUNIN i.e. lots and lots of stout timber
[16:40] BMM42 So, no longer a viable place to sit.
[16:41] GUNINANRUNIN yup. so desert peoples ride in. they have guns so when the confed try to fight back with pikes and crossbows they get owned
[16:43] GUNINANRUNIN huge battle though as the confed try to put out the fires and keep them from getting inside the ship. meanwhile the explosions from the cannons freed some of the slaves so they're seizing arms and fighting back, since one understrength company is not enough men to prevent thousands of slaves from overpowering them
[16:44] GUNINANRUNIN slaves kill off the rest of the confed before surrendering to the desert peoples who are actually pretty reasonable
[16:44] GUNINANRUNIN since all they want is the ship
[16:45] GUNINANRUNIN oh dear ive been neglecting the protag
[16:46] GUNINANRUNIN so he befriended a lot of people, a lot of guys were sympathetic to his story.
[16:46] BMM42 cool
[16:46] GUNINANRUNIN so when the ship exploded he was of course the one who leads the rebellion
[16:47] GUNINANRUNIN and he set it up during the 30-40 minutes while the ship was losing altitude
[16:47] GUNINANRUNIN ship hit the sand, and as soon as the desert peoples showed up they broke out and started wasting confeds and freeing slaves
[16:48] GUNINANRUNIN he also personally executes the captain in charge of the ship, and surrenders to the desert leader guy
[16:49] GUNINANRUNIN this is the start of his streak as a leader, something he never would've done before
[16:56] GUNINANRUNIN and thats all ive got
[16:56] BMM42 Sounds pretty cool
[16:56] GUNINANRUNIN i want something to happen to his son's sword, though
[16:56] GUNINANRUNIN and then he has to get it back
[16:57] GUNINANRUNIN after the crash. since it was taken away from him
[16:58] GUNINANRUNIN maybe some of the desert peoples are scumbags and are just there for the loots. and they steal the valuables from the ship along with the sword, and then he has to team up with good guy desert peoples and/or slave friends to get it back
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:28:11 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2014, 08:18:26 am »

This is wonderful and all, but is our squad still alive?

Am I still alive?

(It is cool, though. Even the puppy kicking.)
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:48 am »

This is wonderful and all, but is our squad still alive?

Am I still alive?

(It is cool, though. Even the puppy kicking.)
Who knows.

Most certainly not.

Thank you! :D

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2014, 09:23:44 am »

FIRE ZE MISSILES!
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »

From the same show, the missile bombardment of Iserlohn Fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a Galactic Empire destroyer firing missiles, thousands more ships can be seen in the background:

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:35 pm »

See?
GUNIN knows what I'm getting at.
The Derail Thread

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »

Needs moar dakka

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »

Needs moar dakka

A 788 UC era Alliance cruiser engaged and deploying decoys, Spartanian fighters can be seen berthed in the half-open hangar design:
Alliance cruisers launching ventral missiles:

Imperial ships being struck by a volley of laser fire at the Battle of the Corridor:

The Fourth Battle of Tiamat:

Iserlohn's main gun, the Thor Hammer, preparing to fire:

Thor Hammer shot just before it impacts on the surface of Mobile Fortress Geiesburg:

Reuental's fleet assaulting Iserlohn during operation Ragnarok, about to be struck by a blast from the Thor Hammer:

The Thor Hammer has been fired at least 16 times in it's life.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:15:37 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2014, 07:21:10 pm »

Yep, that's pretty much what I just showed you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »

Advance Wars is great. I love the simplicity of the game's design and the challenge that the scenarios offer, and I can really appreciate all the unit and character sprites. My favorite aesthetic next to Metal Slug.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14