Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This Human Lasher has a Silver Whip...  (Read 4056 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: This Human Lasher has a Silver Whip...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 09:20:34 am »

Ah. That explains it. They did have silver weapons though....

:D Amusing concidence, really. I think all entites can have any metal, except steel, which only dwarves have, or bluemetal, which have to be mined yourself. The limit for them is having control of region where the ore can be found and mined.

Kobolds might be even more limited, but I've had them stab my dwarves with silver and iron daggers.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 09:24:44 am »

My kobolds have been showing up with steel. My goblins only bring copper.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

Since kobolds don't mine, they steal all their metal and weapons. Hence, they can bring steel weapons if they're in the habit of sending ambush parties your way.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 01:58:29 pm »

Since kobolds don't mine, they steal all their metal and weapons. Hence, they can bring steel weapons if they're in the habit of sending ambush parties your way.
Wait. Does this mean that if a kobold steals my artifact adamantine dagger, he can come back next year with it and start stabbing some dorfs with his 4x roll modifiers?  :o

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 01:59:59 pm »

Wait. Does this mean that if a kobold steals my artifact adamantine dagger, he can come back next year with it and start stabbing some dorfs with his 4x roll modifiers?  :o

I've not seen any pull that off, yet. I suppose I should feed mine some steel weapons, they didn't come with it, just silver, iron and copper. But their ambushes are a bit... Painful, to say the least, to deal with, I'll leave it up to someone else.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »

I've yet to be able to get my dwarves to wield a whip.  Always comes up as 'foreign' and even if I directly equip the dwarf in the military they won't pick it up.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:11:11 pm »

Yes, whips are foreign. So are picks. Perhaps you can elaborate on how you are trying to get your urists to use whips?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »

Military equip screen.  Either assigning metal whip or assigning a specific one, in neither case will they wield it for me.  They don't even go pick it up.  I've made sure they're unforbidden, available, sitting in the stockpile, untasked, etc.  I just figured they couldn't wield foreign weapons.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:01 pm »

Military equip screen.  Either assigning metal whip or assigning a specific one, in neither case will they wield it for me.  They don't even go pick it up.  I've made sure they're unforbidden, available, sitting in the stockpile, untasked, etc.  I just figured they couldn't wield foreign weapons.

Yes they can...

(Note the title and the weapon)

My most devastating military I ever ran was 10 jedi warriors equipped with scavenged whips... they all trained enough to become legendary lashers.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 03:22:14 pm »

Do they go pick up other weapons?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:26 pm »

I thought Kobolds occasionally came with steel as a fail-safe should they not have other metals (much like how you get Steel Anvils on embark if your dwarven civ has no iron)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »

And a human lasher just brought a steel whip... I didn't even know those existed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »

For those moments where it is "make or break", it is really useful, but don't abuse it. It breaks the game, and ruins the fun.
Yeah. Where you feel like you must steal the whole caravan, just kill all the guards and merchants. A lot less work and it maintains the fun and Fun.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »

Do they go pick up other weapons?

Yup.  Went and got himself an axe just fine when I let him have choice of weapons.

I'll have to try this again...  :-\

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »

And a human lasher just brought a steel whip... I didn't even know those existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi
Pages: 1 [2]