Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107576 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2013, 06:36:21 pm »

Cheetar
Why are you so concerned with who everybody else thinks is scum? Shouldn't you be focusing on your own investigation instead of finding out who the easiest person to bandwagon on is?
I don't think Nerjin's necessarily on the wrong track here. Often scum find it hard to give legitimate reasons why other players are scummy. Do you have any scum picks yet, with the day drawing to a close?

It's the person I'm voting for! (Nerjin.)

I heavily disagree- I wouldn't say scum are usually hyper active, but it's definitely not uncommon.
Sure, the more successful scum are more active. But my research has shown that the most active players tend to be town.

Being active is the easiest thing to fake as scum, and some people just naturally post a lot. Being inactive may be a tell, but I don't think it's wise to consider being very active a town tell.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00:06 pm »

Being active is the easiest thing to fake as scum, and some people just naturally post a lot. Being inactive may be a tell, but I don't think it's wise to consider being very active a town tell.
You've got twice as many posts as the second highest poster. Are you trying to tell us all something. Cheeetar?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2013, 07:15:14 pm »

You've got twice as many posts as the second highest poster. Are you trying to tell us all something. Cheeetar?

I'm trying to tell you, specifically, that in this game and the future having a high post count is not a good town tell.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2013, 07:19:50 pm »

Actual evidence says otherwise.

The_Iqovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:22 pm »

My sincerest apologies for my lack of posts, I spent the weekend sick and overwhelmed by uni stuff, since finals start in like, two weeks. This didn't start at a very good time for me. But enough about my obviously false excuses I'm using to cover up from my clearly well planned and deeply scummy activities. It's time to defend myself poorly while leaving enough holes in my arguments to allow Cirque du Soleil to come through!
Iqovian: Do you trust common methods, or do you prefer to be innovative and unconventional in your scumhunting?
If the method is tried and true, the scum have tried it and likely know counters. I try and be innovative, but people usually misinterpret that as acting scummy and I get lynched. Of course they interpret most things I do as scummy, so there's not much change there.

You know what might help you "innovation" a bit? Posting more and trying to figure out who's scum. Stop lurking, get off your lazy bum, and get to work peon.

Of your three posts, you've said:

1. I want to be confirmed town
2. Playing with a ventrilloquist is annoying
3. You've played email mafia and not forum mafia
4. I'll address this one personally here in a second.
5. You explain what a ventrilloquist role would entail
6. You have no trouble bussing a scum-buddy.
7. You don't have reads. So you won't do anything to get them.
8. See the above quote.

Now, onto #4, this struck me as HUGELY scummy:

The Iqovian— your opening post in this game was wholly passive. Is this kind of play normal for you?
Well there's no one to shift any of the large amounts of blame I'm sure to accrue onto yet, and I can't read any of you. So there isn't that much to say, yet.
So you have no one to shift blame onto? You know who shifts blame Iqovian? Scum.
While I'm touched that you'd read this much into me, I'm pretty sure that you're putting more effort into this than I am. Which is easy, since I am evidently a 'lazy bum'.
Alright, everything that's not #4 can easily be explained by my being a newbie, and a fairly quiet person. Not very good, but I never claimed to be.
#4 however, was a joke. I made a joke in my first post to try and lighten the mood, I don't think that's a lynchable offense. And right now, I clearly have plenty of blame to shift, that I have accrued in my role as a townie.

[snip]
This is an incredibly suspicious post. Iqovian hasn't posted as much as other people and that is your only reason to vote for him, disregarding his joke completely flying over your head. There are also other people who you've called out in your post for not posting as much, some of whom have posted even lesss but you seem much less concerned about it- is Iqovian just an easier target, given that he's newer to this style of Mafia than everybody else?
The Iqovian is certainly new, but don't you think this quote here...
The Iqovian— your opening post in this game was wholly passive. Is this kind of play normal for you?
Well there's no one to shift any of the large amounts of blame I'm sure to accrue onto yet, and I can't read any of you. So there isn't that much to say, yet.
... is somewhat strange? Why would town want to shift blame onto someone else?

What do you make of that quote?
Thank you, that quote was a joke. I make jokes. They are rarely good, but I must practice.
And, in regards to Cheeetar:
It looks like a joke to me.
Iqovian, what did you mean by that statement?
Aside from making a joke, it meant, essentially, 'the game has just started and I have nothing on any of you, nor do I have any reason to go after any of you. I am going to wait until the petty accusations start flying', which they have, hooray!
The Iqovian, Tiruin— you guys still about? Got any read on the game yet?
I'm still about, but since I haven't been following this actively I don't really have any good reads. Aside from mindless distrust of Nerjin now.

The Iqovian
At this stage of knowing absolutely nothing about the other players, any questions I pose will be horribly generic @everyones which will do nothing but display my own ineptitude.
Or land myself in hot water, like with Cheeetar's rolefishing fiasco.
You seem very concerned with not making a slip. Why so cautious? Also, tell me about Cheetar's supposed rolefishing.
Firstly, it wasn't Cheeetar's rolefishing, it was rolefishing directed at Cheeetar that was the problem.
And I'm cautious about not slipping up because doing so usually ends me on the business end of the Spanish Inquisition. The more I second guess myself before posting, the less others can guess me afterwards.
The_Iqovian:

Well with a ventriloquist in forum mafia, it might work as an ability, maybe something like
(?-Use/Day) Ventriloquist's Doll [target]: Speak through the target. Target must copy you directly and cannot recant for [arbitrary time period].
I'm sure I've left that wide open for exploits, but you get the gist. If someone who knew how to balance a game worked on it, I'm sure something vaguely tolerable could work.

Aha!  That works well for me, thanks.

Assuming we're not absolutely reliant on Imp for our wincon, and it's Imp's fault (the claim isn't based on something Birdy or I provably did), join the masses trying to lynch him, and furiously work in scum chat to get them out of it.

Assuming I wasn't vital for our wincon, what would you do differently if you felt the claim was Birdy's fault?  What would you do differently if you felt that it was your fault?
If the claim that they were about to use was based on something Birdy or I provably did, then even if you were lynched it could still be traced back to us, which would land two of us in hot water as opposed to just one. If we could prove that you were merely supporting a claim of ours, I think that the person who originally made the claim should be thrown under the bridge; you could get off on a sob story of being a poor townie who was tricked by the dastardly scum into supporting a false claim, and the other survivor gets brownie points for finding them out and exonerating a poor, innocent townie.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:23 pm »

A thread you created. It's a classy way to try to prove your point, if nothing else.
I've played some mafia.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2013, 07:39:06 pm »

Let me get this straight, Notquitethere. You believe that:

The Player With The Highest Post count Is Never Scum

I, the player with the highest post count (it's me!), do not buy into your theory. Thus, your immediate reaction is to FoS me because I am acting scummily in my disbelief? You asked earlier who my scum picks were. One of them is you.
I've played some mafia.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2013, 07:52:44 pm »

Cheeetar

A thread you created. It's a classy way to try to prove your point, if nothing else.
Let me get this straight, Notquitethere. You believe that:

The Player With The Highest Post count Is Never Scum

I, the player with the highest post count (it's me!), do not buy into your theory. Thus, your immediate reaction is to FoS me because I am acting scummily in my disbelief? You asked earlier who my scum picks were. One of them is you.
The fact I created that thread doesn't detract from the fact that of all mafia games this year, in only one was the top poster scum. This makes it a very good not-scum tell, but obviously not-scum doesn't mean town. 3rd parties can post a lot too. If you read the theory thread a bit further you'd see that it's not impossible for scum to be top poster (it has a 1/14 incidence this year, so I shouldn't have replaced 'never' with 'rarely') and so your insistence that your position as top poster wasn't a town-tell struck me as a bit eye-brow raising.

The Iqovian
Your concern about aattracting attention somewhat ensure that you do attract attention. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Now you're back and paying attention are you going to press a case? Is your distrust of Nerjin enough to vote him on?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »

Specifically, Cheetar, it appeared that you were implictly claiming a third-party role. So, straight face now: are you a third-party?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »

The fact I created that thread doesn't detract from the fact that of all mafia games this year, in only one was the top poster scum. This makes it a very good not-scum tell, but obviously not-scum doesn't mean town. 3rd parties can post a lot too. If you read the theory thread a bit further you'd see that it's not impossible for scum to be top poster (it has a 1/14 incidence this year, so I shouldn't have replaced 'never' with 'rarely') and so your insistence that your position as top poster wasn't a town-tell struck me as a bit eye-brow raising.

What percentage of the playerbase in those games was scum (25%?) and of those top posters which consistently post a lot in mafia games and which only post a lot when they're not scum?

Specifically, Cheetar, it appeared that you were implictly claiming a third-party role. So, straight face now: are you a third-party?

No, but nice fishing. Are you scum?
I've played some mafia.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »

Iqovian:
Do you believe a townie should be most concerned with avoiding suspicion, or finding scum? Before you answer, take a look at your own posts- you've been very passive, and now that people have put out much more content there's no excuse to not be looking for suspicious things and asking questions.
I've played some mafia.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37:00 pm »

Birdy:
You can make an accusation against me, but if it's weak you better as hell, you'd best understand that I will press you on it. To defend one selves honor is just as important as infiltrating and finding the traitorous scum who would kill us in the night. Further, when one strikes lazily with a sword in the daylight, you don't stand there and let it cut you, like a coward might. Nay, you parry and strike a stinging blow in return!
O_o I can tell you were watching Zorro.

But anyway, of course you can defend yourself. But defending yourself doesn't necessarily mean voting the other person, does it?

And can you please answer this question:
I was scumhunting. What made you mistrust my intentions?

More later.

The_Iqovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2013, 12:42:05 am »

Iqovian:
Do you believe a townie should be most concerned with avoiding suspicion, or finding scum? Before you answer, take a look at your own posts- you've been very passive, and now that people have put out much more content there's no excuse to not be looking for suspicious things and asking questions.
You're right, a townie probably should be more involved in scum hunting than I have been.

The Iqovian
Your concern about aattracting attention somewhat ensure that you do attract attention. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Now you're back and paying attention are you going to press a case? Is your distrust of Nerjin enough to vote him on?
Actually, yeah I think I will.
He's a bit to quick to leap onto scummy behavior in day 1, and his only real evidence against me is obviously a joke.
Trying to lynch me for a low post count? Go for it. But for making a bad joke? That's reaching.
It looks to me like he's trying to get rid of me - a laudable cause to be sure - but I think his motives this time are more along the lines of 'killing all the townies', than de-scumming the docks.
I now place my vote for Nerjin.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2013, 07:03:10 am »

Hrmm... Point of reference, the Day ends today and we are still missing a few posters. I need to check the Lurker Tracker and check specifically who, although I know off the top of my head that Tiruin might be able to make use of the extra time.

So, I am going to go ahead and throw out an Extend vote for now. I'll be working on the rest of business throughout the Day and have an actual post up later.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:32 am »

Been heavily distracted as well.  Extend.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48