Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107556 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:35 am »

Imp, do you feel that passive play on day 1 is scummy?

If you mean passive play during part of D1, no and especially not by itself.  If you mean passive play throughout the entirety of D1, yes.  In general, I expect people to play in ways that they both enjoy and which supports achieving their wincon.  A Scum wincon typically seems to require less activity than the Town wincon and more activity gives more information, which Town has more need of.  I'm far more interested in overall and broad patterns than I am occasional moments, but I'm really interested in trying to differentiate Scum from Scummy and I believe that shows best in behavior over time.

We're here to do a job.  I don't hear much about passivity finding Scum.  Could you offer some links to help me find where passive play has been used effectively to assist and ensure Town wins?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

The_Iqovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:07 am »

Alright, let's rock.

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?

I'd rather enjoy being confirmed town, since I've always wondered what it feels like.
I'd like Cheeetar to be confirmed town, so I don't have to plot against the only person here that I know.
Apparently Tiruin being a townie is good? So I'd like that.
And Toaster is apparently the most devastating scum, so I'll say him.

The_Iqovian - Same question as Deathsword. You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?

All other things being equal? The seedy guy, especially if he's stayed seedy all the way through the end.

The_Iqovian:  Ignoring the lurker versions, which role(s) have you least enjoyed playing against?

I once played with a ventriloquist in the game. Really, really annoying.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:32 am »

We're here to do a job.  I don't hear much about passivity finding Scum.  Could you offer some links to help me find where passive play has been used effectively to assist and ensure Town wins?

I think it's more that being too aggressive, or tunnel visioning on the wrong person, might lead to a townie lynched.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2013, 07:33:55 am »

PFP:'( // :-\ // :( are my twohree predominant moods IRL and thus I believe I'll be lacking to post in quite a few hours because stuffy stuffs.
???

Webadict: May I use that as an example in any future social/philosophical experiment I'll be taking?
Well, I don't own the game, so yeah. However, I demand 100% of the money. No, 150%. Yeah. 200%...

Vote Count
------------------------
birdy51 -
Cheeetar -
Deathsword -
Hapah - birdy51,
Imp -
Nerjin -
notquitethere -
Shakerag -
The_Iqovian -
TheWetSheep -
Tiruin -
Toaster - Hapah,
TolyK -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Cheeetar, Deathsword, Imp, Nerjin, notquitethere, Shakerag, The_Iqovian, TheWetSheep, Tiruin, Toaster, TolyK,

7 To Hammer. Day ends Monday 8 PM Central.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2013, 07:41:52 am »

Nerjin
@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devastating as scum?
This is not too bad a question as it at least informs you of how familiar each player is with the meta's of other players. I'd like The Iqovian and Cheeetar confirmed town as I've never played with them before and newplayers often get lynched for making retrospectively obvious mistakes. I'd obviously like myself confirmed as town as it's much easier to press cases when players can't counter-accuse you of having a malevolent agenda (I've actually been in a similar situation a few times having been confirmed benevolent 3rd party). I think Imp could be devastating as scum as she puts a lot of effort into the game and so can probably throw up a passable town-facade with bogus scum-hunting. What's your answer to the very same question?

Birdy
Honestly I don't know. I really have a good feeling about Toaster being town.
Even before he's posted in this game?

Cheetar— in a role madness game like this, how much stock do you put in traditional scumhunting vs. players relying on their abilities?

Toaster— do you anticipate Nerjin following up on the replies he's got from his catch-all question?

Hapah— do you think it's important to talk to everyone on Day 1?

Tiruin— if you're a benevolent third party will you be tempted to claim early again?

Imp
notquitethere: could a picture of your role be accurately described using less than 1000 words?
Possibly. It depends on what the criteria are for 'accurately described'.

If initial D1 questions have any use beyond just starting a conversation, it's to get a feel for player's style and set up verbal traps that you can catch them out on later (when they behave contrary to the way that they stated). Your question is cute but what does it achieve?

The Iqovian— your opening post in this game was wholly passive. Is this kind of play normal for you?

TolyK— you've played a lot of role heavy games right? Are there any really common things we should be looking out for?

Shakerag— I might be wrong but think the general subforum consensus might be moving away from random votes and hypothetical questions at the beginning of games. What do you think is the most fruitful-for-town way to start D1?

Deathsword, ol' buddy ol' pal, are massclaims pro-town and if so when?

Sheep— how would you play the game if you were a Survivor?

Spoiler: In Another World (click to show/hide)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2013, 07:57:59 am »

Cheeetar— in a role madness game like this, how much stock do you put in traditional scumhunting vs. players relying on their abilities?

Scumhunting is just as useful as it always is to ensure a town victory.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2013, 08:03:14 am »

That's a very bland response, but from this would I be right in assuming then that you intend to actively pursue scum in this game?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:41 am »

Alright, let's rock.

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?

NQT, Tiruin and Hapah for both. It can be hard to get reads on them (for me, anyway), so knowing if they are town can reduce confusion, while, if they are scum, it may be more difficult to figure it out.

Deathsword - You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?
I'd be more suspicious of the "seedy" player, since, after all, they have been acting shady.

Deathsword: Pretend your only night-useable ability allowed you to choose to either block someone (both from receiving or taking actions) or to redirect someone (again, that redirection applies both to actions targeting that player, and to actions that player tries to make).  Which would you probably use more often, and why?
Redirect. I really like redirects and it can, if used right or with enough luck, destroy the plans of scum or third party.

Deathsword, ol' buddy ol' pal, are massclaims pro-town and if so when?
In any situation, it depends a lot. It can be quite effective to remove scum near the end of the game, but it also tells scum just who is the most dangerous player, power-wise. So, to answer you question, they are neither pro-town or pro-scum, but instead can benefit both. An early massclaim would probably benefit town less than a late-game one.

Iqovian: You have previous forum mafia experience, correct? Where did/do you normally play?

Birdy: How would you play if you were a sk?

TheWetSheep: Let's say that you have a protect power and another player claims to have a cop-like power. Would you protect that player, even though they may be scum?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:11 am »

That's a very bland response, but from this would I be right in assuming then that you intend to actively pursue scum in this game?

If I wasn't planning on actively pursuing scum then I'd be a very poor townie. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when somebody does something I think is scummy, and jump on it.
I've played some mafia.

The_Iqovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:43 am »

Iqovian: You have previous forum mafia experience, correct? Where did/do you normally play?
I do have previous mafia experience, although it is email mafia, not forum mafia.
I played a few times with some friends after one of them found and became obsessed with it on the pokemon forums. It was a while ago, so I'm rustier at this than a very rusty thing.

The Iqovian— your opening post in this game was wholly passive. Is this kind of play normal for you?
Well there's no one to shift any of the large amounts of blame I'm sure to accrue onto yet, and I can't read any of you. So there isn't that much to say, yet.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »

Nerjin:
birdy51, The_Iqovian, and Imp for the first and Toaster for the second.

How does asking this question to everyone lead to you getting leads on scum?

birdy51:
Shakerag - What do you think creates a dangerous scumteam?
Underpowered town, overpowered scum, and/or lack of participation from town.

Toaster:
Shakerag:  Did you submit a role that is going to fundamentally alter the game for everyone, much like you always try to do?  (You don't have to actually answer that.)
I just try to keep things interesting, is all.  It is in webadict's hands. 

Would you ever consider shooting for a refuge in audacity gamibt, and if so, when?

Imp:
Shakerag:  When you are Scum, which Town role(s), and which third party role(s) do you find the most problematic?
Hmm.  Have to think back here.  As scum, I'd say anything investigative (watcher, tracker, cop, etc.), and third party roles would largely be serial killers.  I can't remember having many issues with third party roles in previous games as scum.  I also have a poor memory, so that may not be saying much. 

NQT:
Shakerag— I might be wrong but think the general subforum consensus might be moving away from random votes and hypothetical questions at the beginning of games. What do you think is the most fruitful-for-town way to start D1?
Honestly?  I don't really know of a better way than how we're doing it already.  I know this topic has come up before, but I don't remember any particularly good conclusions coming from it. 

TolyK: What do you make of there being little voting so far in the Random Voting Stage of this game?

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »

Just a heads up, I'm going to be pretty busy over the next week or so, so posting will be limited and my answers won't be overly detailed.

Nerjin:
Confirmed town: Hapah, Tiruin, Shakerag
Dangerous scum: Tiruin or Toaster

What have you learned from peoples replies? Were you surprised by anything?

Birdy:
TheWetSheep - Do you believe in policy lynching? Ex, kill all Third Parties, lynch the AFKers, lynch all self-voters, ect.
No. I don't think there is any event that always merits the same action; every circumstance must be taken into account.

Cheeetar - Are you satisfied with your role?
I love the smell of rolefishing in the morning. Why did you ask this?

Imp:
TheWetSheep:  What part of D1 do you like best?
When we leave RVS and get some actual suspicions.

NQT:
Sheep— how would you play the game if you were a Survivor?
I would try as hard as possible to be mediocre and not stand out.

Deathsword:
TheWetSheep: Let's say that you have a protect power and another player claims to have a cop-like power. Would you protect that player, even though they may be scum?
Yes, if nobody else had claimed.

Iqovian: Do you trust common methods, or do you prefer to be innovative and unconventional in your scumhunting?

Toaster: What do find is the most effective scumhunting tactic?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:01 pm »

Shakerag

birdy51:
Shakerag - What do you think creates a dangerous scumteam?
Underpowered town, overpowered scum, and/or lack of participation from town.

Deathsword

Deathsword - You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?
I'd be more suspicious of the "seedy" player, since, after all, they have been acting shady.

Birdy: How would you play if you were a sk?

What stops a righteous individual from being scum as well? The people who are scum very well could be the people you last suspect.

For a point of interest, as a serial killer I would do my dandiest to look like I am a earnest townie. I would not sit on the sidelines, as my only chance of winning would mean not attracting a lynch while still flying under the radar of the Mafia. Once they are disposed of, I can continue to pick off the townies until I remain the last man standing.

NQT

Birdy
Honestly I don't know. I really have a good feeling about Toaster being town.
Even before he's posted in this game?

Preemptive intuition. Something tells me that Toaster is going to do something interesting in this game. What that might be, I have absolutely no clue.

Birdy:

A question for you:  How concerned are you about lurkers, and what are your primary strategies for dealing with them?

Lurkers bother me, because I tend to be lurker on occasion myself. It's not something I usually mean to do. I simply get caught up in something or another and I have to take a break.

This makes me wary with dealing with them, mostly because I am largely sympathetic with their plight. Mafia can be very time consuming. Then, attacking a faceless target seems redundant to me. So, as to a strategy to dealing with them, I try to be accommodating. If they need an extension, I am normally willing to give it. If they absolutely will not post, let them either be replaced or have the Mod Kill them. At the end of the day, I would rather work with who is still in the game.

Hapah

Hapah - You were rather passive in your last game as scum, and managed to survive a good time for it. For do plan addressing this game scumbucket?
(I'm guessing there's some autocorrect issue going on there and the question is something along the lines of "How to plan to address it this game?")

To be fair, I got drafted into that game (the reason I didn't sign up initially is that I didn't think I had enough time to do it justice; I absolutely love LNCP games). And the game was a little unusual in and of itself: I was "scum" without a kill that needed to figure out how to keep 1 3rd party dead and another alive. I noticed a couple of things that I didn't bring up because it wasn't in my interests, but be aware that my play can almost always be described as a little reserved.

Ergh… I should not type posts so late at night. That is a very fine example of poor english and I am a bit ashamed of it now. Regardless you did figure out what I was attempting to say, so I can accept that as an answer. I look forward to seeing what you can do this game! unvote

Tiruin

birdy51
Tiruin - I consider you one of the most dangerous players in the game for how you manage to diffuse attention against yourself, and for generally being the last person I suspect to turn into a mutant dinosaur monster. So I shall ask you directly. Are you a mutant dinosaur monster this game?
*RAAAWWWWRRRRGHGHRAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!*
Translation: {...I'm FoS'd for some reason already? Huh. Why is that?
Aaaalso, rawr >:3 I is a reptile! Or..amphibian. I'm unsure what dinosaur I was as it seems you're referring to that one game where I was a benevolent SK..until I became an SK. No, I'm not a mutant dinosaur nor anything related to reptiles. I am a tangible person with no abnormalities and anything related to genetic origin. I am not a monster, you mean jerk :I
Why do you ask such questions without leaving a pertinent note to the question? Also why that exact question? How do you view the usefulness of a FoS and a vote?

RAWR!}

SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!
Translation: {I'll have you know that Dinosaurs are the natural enemy of all Avian creatures of the sky. I shall not be roared at with impunity! It ruffles my feathers!

Now, I note that you use the word tangible in your response. This suggests that you might be actually implying the very opposite of what you are trying to say. In others, I believe that your role is intangible, something that cannot be touched. Furthermore, you related to me the fact that you are not a monster and that you are a person. What is not a monster and can't be touched? Casper the Friendly Ghost. I have you all figured out now.

Time for a more serious response though. First, Dinosaurs are not terribly common in Mafia. We both knew what dinosaur related incident I was referring to. Secondly, I was curious in seeing how you would respond. To the third and final question, last game (Witch's Coven) I used my vote piteously little. However, voting is important, as it is the main way that a Townie can telegraph his main suspicions effectively.

Part of me fears both you and Hapah. I am wary of what both of you could do as scum, so I chose to elect you as my main targets of suspicion. Thus, a vote and an FoS this early on.

TheWetSheep

Birdy:
TheWetSheep - Do you believe in policy lynching? Ex, kill all Third Parties, lynch the AFKers, lynch all self-voters, ect.
No. I don't think there is any event that always merits the same action; every circumstance must be taken into account.

To the first, fair enough. I am in agreement in the idea that every situation demands it's own respect.

To the second, why are you so concerned about that question in particular? Are you really worried that I might be role fishing, or are you simply looking for a prospective target?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2013, 06:55:23 pm »

To the second, why are you so concerned about that question in particular? Are you really worried that I might be role fishing, or are you simply looking for a prospective target?

It's probably best if you answer the question proposed to you before you ask questions of Wet Sheep. You're deflecting a bit there.
I've played some mafia.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2013, 08:40:50 pm »

Cheeetar:
I haven't played elsewhere either, unfortunately.
Useful in what sense- useful to you, Toaster, or useful to the town? If you were scum, and everybody told you who they thought the best townie would be (and as scum you knew for a fact that they were a townie or third party) then you'd have a pretty good night one target for mafia kill. Useful to the town, I suppose questions like 'if you were scum what would you do in this circumstance', comparing their responses to both their previous games as scum and how they act from then on.

More me, but hey, if anyone can find scum with it, they can go ahead.  Scum Toaster doesn't need anyone else's opinion when finding a NK target- in fact, any scum that needs help from the town picking a NK target is not a very threatening scum.

Tiruin:
Toaster: Given the randomness in a BYOR, is there any notes which would stand as a rule for you compared to how actions come and go? If you were a tracker-type, how would you judge seeing someone go to another and then see a kill come as a result? If you were a doctor-type, how would you see the general audience and upon what would you judge who to target?

Assuming I can't pick myself, I'd go with one solid playmaker and two people I can't read.  NQT might be interesting in the former position- he's willing to do the analytical work.  For the latter, uh... someone I've never played with and can't read like The_Iqovian and then perhaps Tiruin.

As scum?  Hmmm... really, I have trouble picking any one name out of this lot.  Hapah, maybe?
...But you play with me commonly. Why am I on that list?

With Web's BYORs, you have to play fast and loose and think on your feet.  He's good at putting in crazy actions.  Would I claim a guilty-looking track?  There's a good chance I would, especially if it wasn't from N1 (so there are fewer players involved.)  It's a good way to get the target to break town or scum.  Plus, you can analyze the reactions of others to it.

As a doc, I'd protect people that best filled two criteria: 1) Are likely town  2) Are likely NK targets.

I put you on the list because I have trouble reading you.

Imp:
Toaster:
Imp:  Assume you have a one-shot daykill.  Under what circumstances would you use it?  Specifically, if you were about to be lynched but had no suspects at the time, would you fire it at random?

Toaster, pretend you have a one shot power: at the start of play you pick any two players and they swap roles (but not alignments), neither is informed that you caused the swap.  If you choose to use this power with yourself as one of the players selected to be roleswapped, one of your newly swapped-in abilities, whatever those are, will gain a single unblockable use.  Who would you pick to swap with whom?

Fair enough on your response. 

That's a fairly specific power.  Whether I swapped my role away depends entirely on the value of my own role.  If I liked it, I'd keep it; if not, it'd be gone.  If it's at start of play, picking players is really irrelevant since I would have no data.  I'd pick people I wanted to screw with, I guess.

NQT:
Toaster— do you anticipate Nerjin following up on the replies he's got from his catch-all question?

Nope.  I don't expect anyone who asks such broad-spectrum questions to do much following up at all.  This applies to individual questions to everyone like you did as well.  Aren't you doing that just to defeat your own tell?

Shakerag:
Toaster:
Shakerag:  Did you submit a role that is going to fundamentally alter the game for everyone, much like you always try to do?  (You don't have to actually answer that.)
I just try to keep things interesting, is all.  It is in webadict's hands. 

Would you ever consider shooting for a refuge in audacity gamibt, and if so, when?

Probably not.  I tend to play it safe, and I have a poor track record of pulling off crazy gambits.  (See: WC3)

Sheep:
Toaster: What do find is the most effective scumhunting tactic?

Playing it by the books.  Read posts, question anything suspicious, follow up on those things that are still objectionable.  Present a clear and concise case when the time comes.   

How valid of a tell do you think rolefishing is?

Birdy:  Do you think OMGUS is a valid tell?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48