Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107654 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Sign Me Up, Baby! [Rolling Roles, Griffinpup Confirm?]
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2013, 10:39:12 am »

Moon to Webadict...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 11:34:37 am »

Eh, sorry guys. I haven't really been able to fully finish the roles, since when I'm not working, I'm sleeping or enjoying my time off. And it made things stupidly awful, since night was weird.

Anyhow, I'll finish up everything today and send them out! Woo! I've got a bit more time today, so this should work. I promise to get them working and sent out at 8 PM CST.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2013, 08:33:21 pm »

We haVe wHaT y0ur 1ook1ng FouR. Me3t uS at tHe DocKs.

12:04 a.m. The East Side Docks

"I ain't never seen anythin' like it before, Sam. I tell ya. This case is a pretty tough nut to crack. There's bodies all ovah..." the young detective paused for a bit, taking a drag from his cigarette. "D'ya think it's the gangs?"

Sam Webster had barely heard anything Johnny had said. He was too busy looking at how busy his week was going to be. "Ah jeez... Ya know the mob ain't gonna leave bodies out in the open like this. Not their style."

"Maybe they had a big showdown with anotha gang. Big firefight, ya know? See, dis guy here, he probably the lead-"

"You get the lab workin' on any o' this?"

"Sure thing, boss. Got some prints goin' righ' now. But, we found some ID fer this guy. 'Parently his name's Griffin Pup. Dumb name, right? Well, wanna take a guess what else he's known by?" Johnny pauses, expecting a guess. Sam stays quiet. "The Widow Mine. Ya, that Widow Mine. Looks like someone really had a beef with 'im. Well," Johnny laughs a bit, "who didn't this side of the rivah, am I righ'? The bastard killed 6 people. Wouldn' su'prise me if it wasn' revenge."

Sam takes out a cigarette and lights it. "Good work, Johnny."

Sam knew then that he was short-sighted. This was going to take months.

griffinpup has been modkilled!

griffinpup was a Widow Mine (sk).

Vote Count
------------------------
birdy51 -
Cheeetar -
Deathsword -
Hapah -
Imp -
Nerjin -
notquitethere -
Shakerag -
The_Iqovian -
TheWetSheep -
Tiruin -
Toaster -
TolyK -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - birdy51, Cheeetar, Deathsword, Hapah, Imp, Nerjin, notquitethere, Shakerag, The_Iqovian, TheWetSheep, Tiruin, Toaster, TolyK,

7 To Hammer. Day ends Monday 8 PM Central.

The Day has started.

griffinpup - Widow Mine
(Auto) Widowmaker, Undertaker: Kill actions that target you kill the user instead. You are immune to kills.
(Auto) Loose Cannon: Your tendency to explode and kill things means you have no vote. Just remember kids: Crime doesn’t pay.
(1-Shot, Night) Proximity Mines [target]: Cover the target in mines. If a player actions the target on a following Phase, all players that action the target during that Phase are killed (This is limited to 1 during the Day).

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »

Alright, let's rock.

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »

It has begun. The concert extravaganza of Christmas Concert is looming and I have a show coming up this month already, but I should be able to be reasonably active. This will be my first entering a game where I am not replacing into either, so for once I get to set precedence instead of worrying about what my predecessors have done.

This should be fun!

Cheeetar - Are you satisfied with your role?

Deathsword - You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?

Hapah - You were rather passive in your last game as scum, and managed to survive a good time for it. For do plan addressing this game scumbucket?

Imp - You are scum. Right off the bat, you are confronted with the devil himself in Townie Form during RVS and he tunnels aggressively. How do you get him off your back?

Nerjin - Glad to see you playing! What aspects draw you into Mafia?

Shakerag - What do you think creates a dangerous scumteam?

The_Iqovian - Same question as Deathsword. You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?

TheWetSheep - Do you believe in policy lynching? Ex, kill all Third Parties, lynch the AFKers, lynch all self-voters, ect.

Tiruin - I consider you one of the most dangerous players in the game for how you manage to diffuse attention against yourself, and for generally being the last person I suspect to turn into a mutant dinosaur monster. So I shall ask you directly. Are you a mutant dinosaur monster this game?

Toaster - What is your agenda for Day 1? How do you decide who to lynch?

TolyK - I have not seen you around much, but as I understand it you are a bit of a veteran. How do you define your own gameplay?

Nerjin:

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?

For confirmed Town: NQT, TolyK, and Toaster.

I respect NQT for his ability to rationalize, and his ability to keep tabs on a multitude of people at once. He's a good resource for a town team. I don't know enough about TolyK, but as I understand it he has participated in quite a few BYORs in the past. As for Toaster... Honestly I don't know. I really have a good feeling about Toaster being town.

Tiruin however, scares me the most as she strikes me as a very crafty individual. Given that I generally don't suspect her of ill, it makes her that much more dangerous in that mind. The innocent one is always the knife murderer. I just know it.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:12 pm »

I'd quite like if I was confirmed town so I could vote for and argue against whoever I thought was most scummy without them being able to redirect attention onto me. I haven't played with most of the people here so I'm having trouble thinking about who else I'd like confirmed town. The_Iqovian and Tiruin, are people who are generally quite smart and would make good confirmed townies.
The most devastating scum player would clearly be Webadict Toaster.

Cheeetar - Are you satisfied with your role?\
Absolutely!
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »

I'd put out my typical rant about how questioning everyone instead of specific people is much less effective, but at this point I think it's a waste of time.

Nerjin:

Assuming I can't pick myself, I'd go with one solid playmaker and two people I can't read.  NQT might be interesting in the former position- he's willing to do the analytical work.  For the latter, uh... someone I've never played with and can't read like The_Iqovian and then perhaps Tiruin.

As scum?  Hmmm... really, I have trouble picking any one name out of this lot.  Hapah, maybe?

Birdy:
Toaster - What is your agenda for Day 1? How do you decide who to lynch?

Find scum and have fun.  The same way I do always:  read the players, question what doesn't look right, and wheedle my way through the outer facade into the scummy nougat interior.

As for Toaster... Honestly I don't know. I really have a good feeling about Toaster being town.

I've always considered my town game weaker than my scum game, ironically.

Shakerag:  Did you submit a role that is going to fundamentally alter the game for everyone, much like you always try to do?  (You don't have to actually answer that.)

TheWetSheep:  Let's assume you're mafia this game.  If you could pick your scumbuddies, who would they be?

Imp:  Assume you have a one-shot daykill.  Under what circumstances would you use it?  Specifically, if you were about to be lynched but had no suspects at the time, would you fire it at random?

Cheeetar:  What have you learned about Mafia in your absence from playing here?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »

Quick post before bed. FYI, my posting might be a little light from now through about the middle of next week, but should be fine after that.

#1 Preferred Townie, far and away, would be Tir. She can put up a lot of text, and being able to go through it without trying to reason out every angle on every point would save me so much time and be a big help. Assuming you're only talking about people in this game, NQT and probably Toaster would probably be the other two.

As for scum, I dunno: I guess I'd say one of the new guys, as I tend to cut newbies too much slack. A new face with a decent grasp on the game could probably give me fits.

Hapah - You were rather passive in your last game as scum, and managed to survive a good time for it. For do plan addressing this game scumbucket?
(I'm guessing there's some autocorrect issue going on there and the question is something along the lines of "How to plan to address it this game?")

To be fair, I got drafted into that game (the reason I didn't sign up initially is that I didn't think I had enough time to do it justice; I absolutely love LNCP games). And the game was a little unusual in and of itself: I was "scum" without a kill that needed to figure out how to keep 1 3rd party dead and another alive. I noticed a couple of things that I didn't bring up because it wasn't in my interests, but be aware that my play can almost always be described as a little reserved.

Quote from: Toaster
Shakerag:  Did you submit a role that is going to fundamentally alter the game for everyone, much like you always try to do?  (You don't have to actually answer that.)
If D2 starts and votes are now determined by how long your winchain against Wuba in Liar's Dice is or something crazy like that, I'ma flip.

Toaster
You can wait until after he answers, but what could one learn about Mafia without playing Mafia?

I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2013, 11:27:53 pm »

I'm going to have to echo Hapah here- not really all that much.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:40 pm »

Hapah:
If D2 starts and votes are now determined by how long your winchain against Wuba in Liar's Dice is or something crazy like that, I'ma flip.

Oh come on- Liar's Dice voting would have been an incredible social experiment.  Hell to play, sure, but very interesting to look back on.

Toaster
You can wait until after he answers, but what could one learn about Mafia without playing Mafia?

Cheeetar too:

Note I did say "absence from playing here" implying playing elsewhere could have happened.  Also, I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before and gotten an informative response.

In any case, an expected answer would be something about shifts of perspective or how the reverse happened (how skills learned here were applied.)  In terms of scum hunting, probably not worth a lot, but at the start of the game, seeing how a question is answered can be as informative as the answer itself.

What kind of RVS questions do you expect to have a useful answer?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:22 pm »

Cheeetar too:

Note I did say "absence from playing here" implying playing elsewhere could have happened.  Also, I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before and gotten an informative response.

In any case, an expected answer would be something about shifts of perspective or how the reverse happened (how skills learned here were applied.)  In terms of scum hunting, probably not worth a lot, but at the start of the game, seeing how a question is answered can be as informative as the answer itself.

What kind of RVS questions do you expect to have a useful answer?

I haven't played elsewhere either, unfortunately.
Useful in what sense- useful to you, Toaster, or useful to the town? If you were scum, and everybody told you who they thought the best townie would be (and as scum you knew for a fact that they were a townie or third party) then you'd have a pretty good night one target for mafia kill. Useful to the town, I suppose questions like 'if you were scum what would you do in this circumstance', comparing their responses to both their previous games as scum and how they act from then on.
I've played some mafia.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:31 am »

PFP:'( // :-\ // :( are my twohree predominant moods IRL and thus I believe I'll be lacking to post in quite a few hours because stuffy stuffs.

Nerjin
Alright, let's rock.

Starting with a general question, eh? How will you learn from the actions and responses? What if a player gives a subjective response?

I would like Cheetar [Don't know you bro.], Imp [Is totally awesome <3] aaand Hapah [Vague reads all over and I still love his playstyle enough to regard him highly] to be confirmed town in that scenario. I think Toaster is the most devastating as scum because confirmation bias and that the only tell he'll be telling is if he's hyper aggressive and grumpy at the same time and and and...yeah. Experienced veteran shaped like itself - A Toaster.

Why did you not append a 'why' at the end of that query? Why do you ask in general instead of poking at specific people? Is voting pattern a plausible scumhunting theory to you?

birdy51
Tiruin - I consider you one of the most dangerous players in the game for how you manage to diffuse attention against yourself, and for generally being the last person I suspect to turn into a mutant dinosaur monster. So I shall ask you directly. Are you a mutant dinosaur monster this game?
*RAAAWWWWRRRRGHGHRAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!*
Translation: {...I'm FoS'd for some reason already? Huh. Why is that?
Aaaalso, rawr >:3 I is a reptile! Or..amphibian. I'm unsure what dinosaur I was as it seems you're referring to that one game where I was a benevolent SK..until I became an SK. No, I'm not a mutant dinosaur nor anything related to reptiles. I am a tangible person with no abnormalities and anything related to genetic origin. I am not a monster, you mean jerk :I
Why do you ask such questions without leaving a pertinent note to the question? Also why that exact question? How do you view the usefulness of a FoS and a vote?

RAWR!}

Cheet (This abbreviated name ok for you?)

I'd quite like if I was confirmed town so I could vote for and argue against whoever I thought was most scummy without them being able to redirect attention onto me. I haven't played with most of the people here so I'm having trouble thinking about who else I'd like confirmed town. The_Iqovian and Tiruin, are people who are generally quite smart and would make good confirmed townies.
The most devastating scum player would clearly be Webadict Toaster.
How do you know me? Where is your basis coming from? Who is The_Iqovian for you?

Nextly, would knowledge of the players give a more understandable view to you, or their posts by themselves, only?

Toaster: Given the randomness in a BYOR, is there any notes which would stand as a rule for you compared to how actions come and go? If you were a tracker-type, how would you judge seeing someone go to another and then see a kill come as a result? If you were a doctor-type, how would you see the general audience and upon what would you judge who to target?

Assuming I can't pick myself, I'd go with one solid playmaker and two people I can't read.  NQT might be interesting in the former position- he's willing to do the analytical work.  For the latter, uh... someone I've never played with and can't read like The_Iqovian and then perhaps Tiruin.

As scum?  Hmmm... really, I have trouble picking any one name out of this lot.  Hapah, maybe?
...But you play with me commonly. Why am I on that list?

#1 Preferred Townie, far and away, would be Tir.
<3 Thanks :)
She can put up a lot of text, and being able to go through it without trying to reason out every angle on every point would save me so much time and be a big help.
...Wait, I think that was a bad thing..erm, sorry for that. D:

Anywhoo, Hapah: A BYOR is different from a normal game, that can be said. How would you judge the general night action? Restating: Would things which would be considered exacts in other games (ie Protect > Signifies the person acting on such is most probably non-scum, or scum protecting another scum) be the same for you here, emphasizing on how they relate in guessing the person's alignment? How do you find BYOR's in general compared to a normal game?

...Why NQT and Toaster for the next two?

Hapah:

Oh come on- Liar's Dice voting would have been an incredible social experiment.  Hell to play, sure, but very interesting to look back on.
Bah. I played it with Web. I like guessing his stances. :3
Everyone is predictable to a point..differing between points. :P
But yeah, Liar's Dice. Awesome simple game. Webadict: May I use that as an example in any future social/philosophical experiment I'll be taking?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:39 am »

Cheet (This abbreviated name ok for you?)
How do you know me? Where is your basis coming from? Who is The_Iqovian for you?

Nextly, would knowledge of the players give a more understandable view to you, or their posts by themselves, only?

I was semi-following along with The Lonely Prince mafia game, which you won as a townie. The_Iqovian is a person who I know is smart because I've played strategy games with him in the past, and I think he'd be a boon as town.

I'm a little unsure about the last question, but I'd say knowing how a person generally acts would be great so I'd know when they were not acting as they usually are (and thus hiding a terrible secret).
I've played some mafia.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:16 am »

Nerjin:

I'll pick Tiruin, Toaster, and Shakerag as confirmed Town.  The first two because I've interacted a little with them and feel they're very strong players who I believe I can understand well and be understood by well.  I recall Shakerag as a player in some of the finished games I've read, and something I can't recall makes him my third pick, perhaps because he might be another in that category.

I have heard others talk about how Toaster is very hard to catch as Scum, so I'll name him as the most dangerous Scum - otherwise I have no idea.

Nerjin, your own question back at you, what are your answers?  Also, how comfortable do you feel keeping track of this number of players?

Birdy:

Imp - You are scum. Right off the bat, you are confronted with the devil himself in Townie Form during RVS and he tunnels aggressively. How do you get him off your back?

Very situational, to accurately answer I'd need to know his exact attack(s).  My method would probably take one or both of these main paths - I'd interact with his tunnel in a reasonable fashion while mostly ignoring it to do my own Scumhunting (which may or may not include him for reasons that may or may not include his tunnel) or I'd directly confront the logic and statements made by him in his tunneling to challenge his arguments' accuracy, his motives in the tunnel, and his overall Scumhunting and the rest of his play.

A question for you:  How concerned are you about lurkers, and what are your primary strategies for dealing with them?

Toaster:
Imp:  Assume you have a one-shot daykill.  Under what circumstances would you use it?  Specifically, if you were about to be lynched but had no suspects at the time, would you fire it at random?

The 'under what circumstances' question is so vague I can only answer with 'those that suited my understanding of the game and my wincon'.

Your specific version, I would not fire my oneshot at random, though I'm confused why/how I could have no suspects by the time a D is ending.

If I was certain I was the lynch choice, I would claim my oneshot kill and discuss with everyone active to help evaluate a good second choice for Scum (clearly I'm top choice since I'm the lynch pick) and I'd use it on that person before I died.

Even if others have Daykills too and someone used theirs to stop me from using mine, that's the same outcome, only actually better.  I was about to be lynched; I die anyway. The second scummiest was about to be one shot, that player almost certainly gets the lynch.  But anyone who'd use their oneshot on me to keep me from oneshotting the group's second lynch choice - that's a Town hostile dayshot and I'm glad to carry it out of the game with me.

Toaster, pretend you have a one shot power: at the start of play you pick any two players and they swap roles (but not alignments), neither is informed that you caused the swap.  If you choose to use this power with yourself as one of the players selected to be roleswapped, one of your newly swapped-in abilities, whatever those are, will gain a single unblockable use.  Who would you pick to swap with whom?

notquitethere: could a picture of your role be accurately described using less than 1000 words?

TolyK: would you have felt disappointed if your role was assigned a jester's wincon?

Tiruin: Why do you like me so much?  I know why I like you, but I have no idea why you like me!

Cheeetar:  You're active!  You're answering!  Why are you not also asking?  .... Why do you think no one else has asked you this question before I did?

Hapah:  Which would you enjoy playing more, the role of a guardian angel or the role of a brother?  Would your answer change if you got to pick who your role was connected to?

Deathsword: Pretend your only night-useable ability allowed you to choose to either block someone (both from receiving or taking actions) or to redirect someone (again, that redirection applies both to actions targeting that player, and to actions that player tries to make).  Which would you probably use more often, and why?

The_Iqovian:  Ignoring the lurker versions, which role(s) have you least enjoyed playing against?

TheWetSheep:  What part of D1 do you like best?

Shakerag:  When you are Scum, which Town role(s), and which third party role(s) do you find the most problematic?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 01:48:01 am »

Cheeetar:  You're active!  You're answering!  Why are you not also asking?  .... Why do you think no one else has asked you this question before I did?

I realise the worth of the wild mass questioning of day 1 in that it gives people something to actually talk about and helps clue the town in on who's scummy, but I feel that there're more than enough questions already being asked, and I'd feel more confident asking questions when I have something of substance to act upon. I've probably (?) not been asked before because people are trying to draw everybody into the conversation.

Imp, do you feel that passive play on day 1 is scummy?
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48