Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water corrosion and impossible ramps?  (Read 1868 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Water corrosion and impossible ramps?
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:52:04 pm »

Looking through my stocks screen for furniture to melt, I noticed that of all my grates one in particular was showing damage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And it was then where I remembered there was also someone else who had their grates deconstruct beside a waterfall despite never designating them to. There is no deconstruction command here, no dump designations or any trickery like that, it's never so much as even seen contact with a single non-Dwarven creature let alone a building destroyer.
So ruling out magical teleporting magma, can water corrode metal furniture? I'm going to set up some grates in a tub alongside some other stuff to see if it does, even for things that shouldn't like silver or gold. I only noticed this wear damage after years of in game Dwarf time, so it's probably easier to just see if anyone else's noticed such wear damage?

And then there's this thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Essentially it's a ramp surrounded by a cross-shape of walls:
Code: [Select]
Z LVL -1
+O+
O▲O
+O+

Z LVL 0
+O+
O▼O
+O+

This ramp should be unusable. I stumbled upon it in Fortress mode with some poor designations when I noticed a sudden drop in FPS and one Dwarf refusing to eat or drink, digging away. I thought the ramps were broken but they appeared to work, with the Dwarf capable of traveling between the levels to dig, yet never leaving to eat or drink. Removing one of the walls on the top z-lvl fixes any pathing issues, but I'm also interested now in seeing how this works and how it can be exploited. Recreating the ramp in arena mode produced a ramp that was supposedly usable judging by the look tool, but failed to allow controlled and uncontrolled units to traverse through it. I'm still guessing that the ramps are unusable despite what the look tool says, even in Fortress mode [the miner's ability to traverse them owing to some choice undug walls] but there may be something stranger afoot, like how wagons are capable of traveling through some unusable ramps.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Water corrosion and impossible ramps?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:13:16 pm »

In response to long term underwater damage, no, I've never seen such damage. Unless it's been happening over decades, it haven't happened in any fortresses I've had. I suppose ice might do it, but I've avoided areas that freeze by luck lately.

Closest thing I can think of are some forgotten beast or titans wandering around. I know I once found some damaged thing and asked about it in confusion before figuring out it was some wandering Yeti trying to rip my things out for a while. Only things that's gotten damaged was either building destroyer or stuffs I've accidentally left on refuse pile for a while.

Come to think, I've not actually observed magma effects, I just assumed it went straight to melting for things without ignition point without showing damage signs and that only things actually burning would be damaged.

Can't really help with the ramps, though, outside of noting that pathfinding acts pretty erratically sometimes.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »

Experimentation would also require a matching grate in a salt water tub. Though a fresh water tub in a salt biome might not be the same as fresh-water biome water.

some 90-year old submerged wooden grates I have are still fine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »

Does the water ever freeze?

I have seen a nasty little bug, where a floor grate that is perfectly supported from the sides will deconstruct if water below it freezes, then thaws.  I suspect this to be a "support" related issue, despite the grates being perfectly supported on all 4 sides.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »

I have seen a nasty little bug, where a floor grate that is perfectly supported from the sides will deconstruct if water below it freezes, then thaws.  I suspect this to be a "support" related issue, despite the grates being perfectly supported on all 4 sides.

It happens with wells too, I think it's anything that let water flow through it get popped like that if it's built right above water. Haven't had any deconstruction if it's a z of empty air between it and water, though. Hatches haven't deconstructed on me, either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:32:59 pm »

Half way beneath the surface of the world? Not possible.

Closest thing I can think of are some forgotten beast or titans wandering around. I know I once found some damaged thing and asked about it in confusion before figuring out it was some wandering Yeti trying to rip my things out for a while. Only things that's gotten damaged was either building destroyer or stuffs I've accidentally left on refuse pile for a while.
Too many doors, Dwarves, passageways and layers of water for a Titan to get deep in the waterways without anyone noticing. It'd be even stranger for a building destroyer to leave every other creature and building alone, only to partially damage this one grate.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:30 pm »

Half way beneath the surface of the world? Not possible.

Too many doors, Dwarves, passageways and layers of water for a Titan to get deep in the waterways without anyone noticing. It'd be even stranger for a building destroyer to leave every other creature and building alone, only to partially damage this one grate.

:D as amusing the image of sneaking building smashers might be, was there any time the grates were moved around and rebuilt? I imagine not since it'd be noticed then.

Well, it's a mystery for sure, huh.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:25:11 am »

Was this grate by a waterfall? It could be that objects are falling off it and damaging the grate somehow. Or perhaps even falling water can do that now. Maybe?

What's the grate next to, above and underneath?

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 02:41:24 am »

I have seen a bed take damage from a tantruming dwarf once, is it possible something similar happened here?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:47:24 pm »

1. Might be interesting to inspect other built furniture with DFHack to check the amount of wear on each item.

2. Does the strange ramps count as passable for the purpose of "no access to construction materials"?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »

Some types of ghosts can damage building items (that's how all the building are toppled). Are you sure you didn't have any energetic poltergeists?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:29:28 pm »

I have seen a bed take damage from a tantruming dwarf once, is it possible something similar happened here?
Tantruming Dwarves would drown before they got the chance to break this grate.

Some types of ghosts can damage building items (that's how all the building are toppled). Are you sure you didn't have any energetic poltergeists?
Everything's slabbed and buried immediately.

2. Does the strange ramps count as passable for the purpose of "no access to construction materials"?
It says no access last I checked.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »

Not tantrumming vampires

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »

Not tantrumming vampires
If the grate is only bottom-accessable, they can't ;)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.