Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best execution methods?  (Read 1856 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Best execution methods?
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:17:59 pm »

I'm thinking of starting up a eugenics fort, and I wanna be able to kill off any dorfs with outstanding physical ( and maybe mental ) defects.  I'm thinking of using an atom smasher, because I want their sending off to be quick and efficient, but while I'm figuring how to do that, are there other methods of dorf-termination that you guys can recommend? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Best execution methods?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:39 pm »

water flooding room you can drain or room with repeatably triggerable upright spikes or stoppable minecart grinder lets you recover the dwarf's effects: useful if they were hauling an artifact when sent to their doom.  They also let you recover the body or body parts for burial, which saves a step over engraving slabs when it comes to dealing with ghosts: you can have coffins pre-built for the mass grave of unwanted dwarves, which feels more accurate than memorializing them to prevent your chosen ones from being torn apart by angry ghosts.  A spike room is probably easiest to build, taking 3 mechanisms, ten metal spears/spikes, and a door to do right.

If it weren't for the ghost issue, I'd say atomsmash or offer to Armok via magma.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »

Or a minecart system that sends the dwarves' brains all over the wall.
Black lives matter.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:44:07 pm »

I'm rather partial to starve/dehydration chambers. Easy to clean, and easy to make, incase more purging needs to be done in a shorter, less tantrum causing fashion.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »

Alright then...how do you actually make children go into these deathtraps? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure Children will respect burrows, though infants are likely stuck with their mothers.

I'm also pretty sure we're all horrible people for this.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:31:40 pm »

Technically, I'm the one doing this, so your souls are still fine. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »

How about a danger room with metal spikes instead of wood spears. Heck, even wooden spikes do the trick, usually.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »

Okay, so it appears that atom smashers are effective.  Thanks for all your help guys. 

Should I lock the thread?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:22 pm »

Okay, so it appears that atom smashers are effective.  Thanks for all your help guys. 

Should I lock the thread?
No, not when we can discuss methods of execution and death.

Redlog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:13:17 pm »

you can stuck them in a room with only serrated disks traps.
They will have to sleep, at the end, and then...
You can speed up the process by dropping them on the traps with a drawbriges, or target children by giving stupid floor removal orders above.(the cave in will make them fall).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:29:50 pm »

Zombie pit.

It's what I use!  :D

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 01:13:16 am »

You could use controlled cave-ins to cage the undesirables, and then (if this actually works) sell the cages to the elves. Improve both races' genetic stocks!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 01:42:09 am »

I don't partake in cleansing undesirables save the odd night creature or noble, unnatural selection tends to cull the weak for me. I do have a soft spot in my heart for trapdoor executions, though.

I make a small retracting drawbridge on the surface that spans an equally small but very deep hole, the most shallow stop at the roof of the first cavern layer. when my victim passes over I flip a switch and cackle as they plummet to their doom, or at least the first cavern. Also, with the way lighting currently works, the pitfalls that don't fit the job make for good meeting areas, the designation as a lighted area staves off cave adaptation. If I wanted to use them on my fortress population, it would be a simple matter of assigning victims to a burrow on the the drawbridge/trapdoor.

Someday, I hope to build a trap door in my throne room that drops all the way down to the circus. I dream to one day say to an uppity diplomat, "To hell with you," and literally send them to hell with the flip of a switch.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 01:07:57 pm »

Alright then...how do you actually make children go into these deathtraps?
I'd like to remind that children also take up deconstruction tasks. And you can filter the adults by using a hatch which is connected to nearby plate set to trigger at the dwarf size. Child care utilizes this trick to a great extent.
Also, doors prevent stuff from level above from falling even if there's no ceiling, as long as they're closed. Thus you can have stuff dropped on their heads or traps automatically triggered by water.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: [1] 2