Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Bins Only  (Read 925 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Trading Bins Only
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »

I've been away for a couple years, and decided to play DF again.  However, (in addition to starving my animals because I didn't let them graze, nice feature) I am unable to trade contents of a barrel/bin individually.  They only show up as "Food Barrel 24" and "Finished goods bin 2".  Is there a hotkey I am missing?  I looked around the game and looked at the wiki but couldn't find anything.  Made the elves quite mad, not that I care.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Bins Only
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »

Barrels works that way and gotta sell it whole, but bins I've always been able to trade the content of without selling the bin itself. The content's name is shifted to the right a bit, no idea why you'd not be able to sell the content without the bin.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:42:38 pm »

The bin has everything in it, but it shows as "trading goods" or "weapons" bins.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

The bin has everything in it, but it shows as "trading goods" or "weapons" bins.

Right, but I'm not able to select individual items out of it like I used to be able to.

I'm hoping now that they were all barrels....still it would be nice to be able to sell individual roasts to the elves.  Oh well, better planning next year (get things dumped out of a barrel first, then take to the depot

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

for bins, you can't (i think) carry individual items within to the Depot. But once there, in the trade itself, the bin will show in the trade menu, and below that will be a list of all the contents. they should be selectable individually, though if you select the bin itself, it will deselect all the individual items. Then, you are telling your trading partner that you are selling them the bin and all its contents.

If you are on the trade menu, and you can't select items within the bins, then I don't know whatthe issue is, unless, like was said, it was all barrels.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:54:30 am »

Well you can search for prepared meals in the depot list, but I am pretty sure they will still transport the ones you pick with the barrel that holds them.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »

Well you can search for prepared meals in the depot list, but I am pretty sure they will still transport the ones you pick with the barrel that holds them.

Yeah It was barrels not bins, no big issue.  I can always do a forbid dance with the barrels if I want to keep some items, I just needde to be sure I wasn't trading away my seed-bearing plants alongside my masterwork meals.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »

Yeah It was barrels not bins, no big issue.  I can always do a forbid dance with the barrels if I want to keep some items, I just needde to be sure I wasn't trading away my seed-bearing plants alongside my masterwork meals.

Checking o-m to no mix makes it doubly sure that everything's separated, I don't know if it goes as far as keeping even same type stuff separate by specie. Meat, plant, milled product, leaves and prepared meal are automatically kept separate in barrels/pots that I've found.

If there're still worries, then just setting stockpiles for specific materials works. There're a whole selection for prepared meal in the food stocks under the letter u on lower right.