Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT  (Read 52550 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT
« Reply #435 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:00 pm »

You could at the very least shoot out tires in some old GTA games as well - iirc even in GTAIV - I remember there even being those police-thingy-tire-piercer-spikes that cops would put out in the street in front of your car in one or two games.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 20, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »

You can shoot the tires out in GTA 5 or at least I assume you can, you can buy bulletproof tigers at least.  But I've never actually seen it happen.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 20, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »

you can buy bulletproof tigers
Holy shit
Why is this not a bullet point on the box?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 20, 2015, 05:46:00 pm »

I'm gonna leave that typo.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:35 pm »

Cthulhu very obviously hasn't reached Trevor yet.

One thing I've noticed is that this game is making me angry and bitter every time I play it. I think I just hate all the supporting cast as they're all (intentionally) imbeciles and social failures. I just don't like any of them that I've met so far. I don't want to help them, I don't want to do missions for them. I just hate them.

It also annoys me how you can't save cars. I thought parking cars in the garage would save them, but it's still using the old GTA system where if you lose your car outside the garage, it's gone. Except for the character's fixed cars which you can't change. What's the point of even buying and modding cars if you're going to inevitably end up losing it in a few minutes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:09 pm »

One thing I've noticed is that this game is making me angry and bitter every time I play it. I think I just hate all the supporting cast as they're all (intentionally) imbeciles and social failures. I just don't like any of them that I've met so far. I don't want to help them, I don't want to do missions for them. I just hate them.

All very much intention on rockstar's part. They're SUPPOSED to be that way!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 20, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »

I've reached Trevor, Trevor's rad.

Yeah, they all suck but they've always all sucked.  Lamar's comment in the motorcycle repo mission pretty much hits hte GTA formula on the head.  You work for a guy a few times, he sends you on a big mission, it goes bad, he's dead, move on.  But lamar's a fuckup like all the other supporting characters.

Also, I'm starting to think GTA 5's wound system is even better than 4's.  I dunno if caring so much makes me a serial killer, but I went on a cop-killer rampage and recorded it to play around in the editor.  GTA 4 had very reactive models and all but they also had a very clear health system so you always knew when somebody was alive or dead.  There was alive, on the ground and trying to get up, mortally wounded, and dead.  There's lots of interesting variations now that I've had a chance to watch a very spooky slow motion video of cops getting shot.  Sometimes they fall down and sit there for a few seconds, then slump, sometimes they try to roll over or move around, sometimes they do the classic lie there and squirm for a while, and it's all in the euphoria engine so it's not canned animations.  Great fun for serial killers like me.

These kinds of details aren't the kind of thing you notice when you're actually fighting which is why I probably didn't realize how nice it was.
Shoes...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:59 pm »

These kinds of details aren't the kind of thing you notice when you're actually fighting which is why I probably didn't realize how nice it was.
You also need to double check the vehicle damage engine as well.  It goes SO MUCH further than any mod could do in IV.

Different wind shields break differently.  Front usually just leave a hole when shot but goes out as one piece while side and rear will break in a circle around where a heavy round hits.  Tires go flat and will ride flat (you can see the tire flat on the ground) before finally popping and going to rim.  You can HEAR the damage to engines.  Damaged fans, loose belts, and even single cylinders just stopping.  Sadly not all vehicles go to the same lengths when it comes to impact damage though, cars added in updates usually don't crush up like ones that were in release.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:37 am »

That's why I said he hasn't reached Trevor yet. His first few missions are just blowing shit up. You'd notice the detail instantly (or have an eye-for-detail like Hellen Keller).

Also one of his missions is literally "shoot out the tires on three cars". Since Cthulhu apparently hadn't seen tires get shot out... well...

If these sentences sound angry, blame the game for influencing me.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 21, 2015, 01:02:26 am »

I found out why I liked San Andreas more than GTA 5 : San Andreas is "smaller" (counting only the first island).

You play with characters who lived in this town for years, who should kno the city, at least as much as any city where you've lived for years. Except you can't, as you've been playing the game for a few hours (at least as long as you've not 100%ed the game).
I like GTA:SA because after only a few hours, I knew where I was and didn't need a map or a GPS to go in a specific area.

Moreover, I think that the colors were a bit more flashy and distinctive in GTA:SA, so you could recognize where you were only by looking around, thanks to the patterns. Tehre are patterns ehre too, but less distinctive, I think.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:36 am »

GTA 5 doesn't have you watch CeeLo Green shoot spitballs at gangsters on a train for six hours though so there's that.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 21, 2015, 04:05:17 pm »

So, I'm trying to join the crew, and the web page isn't loading. Is the social club super slow for anyone else?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:18 pm »

Again, watching vehicles getting shot in video mode has convinced me.  In retrospect I was thinking of Saints Row, the vehicle damage in GTA 4 wasn't very good.

Also I feel like a lot of the schizophrenic aspects of the story are dealt with better in this one, aside from the violence.  One of the other issues in GTA 4 was most of the missions were slumming with neighborhood crime lords when you own a penthouse apartment and have 200 grand sitting in your pocket. 

Now all the missions make more sense for guys of your caliber and they solve the money thing by just not giving you any fucking money.  I can't decide if I'm just not realizing how much more there is to spend your money on in GTA 5 or if they're deliberately holding out to encourage people to buy those dumbass cash cards.  kek

It does seem like an inordinate number of missions don't pay any money.  Even ones that should.  I'm assuming whatever that first Trevor Heist was is gonna come back at some point but it's kind of annoying that only one of the three heists I've done has actually given me any money.  In retrospect that might be the only mission that's given any appreciable money.

The whole car system seems inexplicably bad too.  Who exactly  made the decision that you shouldn't be able to change your default car?  It basically forces us to only use the starting car and put all our upgrades into it cause everything else we'll have to waste time driving to the impound and picking it up every single time we play.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:32:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2015, 06:33:33 pm »

It also annoys me how you can't save cars. I thought parking cars in the garage would save them, but it's still using the old GTA system where if you lose your car outside the garage, it's gone. Except for the character's fixed cars which you can't change. What's the point of even buying and modding cars if you're going to inevitably end up losing it in a few minutes.

Any car lost (stolen from you, despawned due to distance, lost when entering a mission etc) that has been modified gets impounded.  You can pay $250 at the Impound Lot to get them back.  This does not apply to destroyed vehicles.

You can definitely modify personal vehicles too, no idea why you think otherwise.

Again, watching vehicles getting shot in video mode has convinced me.  In retrospect I was thinking of Saints Row, the vehicle damage in GTA 4 wasn't very good.

Also I feel like a lot of the schizophrenic aspects of the story are dealt with better in this one, aside from the violence.  One of the other issues in GTA 4 was most of the missions were slumming with neighborhood crime lords when you own a penthouse apartment and have 200 grand sitting in your pocket. 

Now all the missions make more sense for guys of your caliber and they solve the money thing by just not giving you any fucking money.  I can't decide if I'm just not realizing how much more there is to spend your money on in GTA 5 or if they're deliberately holding out to encourage people to buy those dumbass cash cards.  kek

It does seem like an inordinate number of missions don't pay any money.  Even ones that should.  I'm assuming whatever that first Trevor Heist was is gonna come back at some point but it's kind of annoying that only one of the three heists I've done has actually given me any money.  In retrospect that might be the only mission that's given any appreciable money.

I'm sitting at over a billion on every character.  Save Lester's assassination missions until after the last heist and you can make a fortune on the stock market.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »

You can definitely modify personal vehicles too, no idea why you think otherwise.
When playing the Xbox 360 version, driving up to the mod shop gives you a message like "This is Franklin's personal vehicle and cannot be modified." I don't know about PS3 or PC.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38