Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84574 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds [5/13/2016 - GoG Launch!]
« Reply #570 on: March 03, 2017, 07:06:31 am »

... even though I know my comp can't handle it, that rule tempts me.

Mostly because I spent most of my time playing so far tooling around with custom races. I'm pretty much equally unfamiliar with all the default ones :P

Other the other hand, it could potentially get y'stuck with the plant ship things, too, and it's friggin' miserable to design those things. Don't think there was anything else in the game that entirely drove me away from playing with that part, but those ones managed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #571 on: March 03, 2017, 07:09:00 am »

I actually liked the plant ships, They were neat to build because they're very different in design from the standard races.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2017, 07:46:50 am »

Eh, they were neat, but the process of putting them together was a PitA. Game's ship design doesn't mesh that well with the adjacency thing, and accommodating that just... took far more effort than it was worth, for little gain (and often enough active detriment, iirc). Interesting but notably unfun, t'me.
Ask not!
Ask!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:55 am »

Fair enough. I disliked the plant guys because they couldn't make the more efficient city buildings which free up room on the planets. I found the ships enjoyable to make, as opposed to standard ships with are kind of boring. To each their own.

Honestly I have played whole games without ever designing new ships, just scaling up a standard design and upgrading the weapons/power gen.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 03, 2017, 10:14:09 am »

So, a fair warning, when my friends and I played we found the game stalled to a halt whenever a fleet battle happened. We think it was a bandwidth limit. Why fleet battles are sending at least a megabyte of information we never found out, nor how to fix.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:57 am »

All the little ships do spew out a lot of particles and whatnot. If you're looking to pin down cause, maybe have a zero-tinyship dustup to check if that has something to do with it?
Ask not!
Ask!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 03, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »

About the Oko, perhaps the most efficient and easiest thing you can do is to make the sinew in a spiral pattern.
Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've done multiplayer once before and didn't experience any technical problems afair, but it was just two players.

Probably want the host to be whoever has the highest upload. Mine, from beta.speedtest.net:
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #577 on: March 04, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »

Well I will be around most of the day, if anyone wants to play PM me here or chat me up on Steam. My name is the same there as here

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:00:54 pm by TripJack »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 23, 2018, 08:56:11 pm »

Huh. Can't say I expected that. Also didn't realize it had been years since the last update, heh.

Kudos to the studio, though. Deffo one of the better things you can do with a defunct-ish game.
Ask not!
Ask!

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 24, 2018, 12:47:19 am »

Is first one open source too?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 24, 2018, 11:04:14 am »

Is first one open source too?

Not at this time. It has been considered -- but it's a bit of a mess in there. Last I heard Reaper wanted to build proper documentation and clean the code up before making it open source. That was some years ago though.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 25, 2018, 02:47:54 pm »

...Last I heard Reaper wanted to build proper documentation and clean the code up before making it open source. That was some years ago though.

I'm pretty sure it would take at least several decades to clean up spaghetti code.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]
« Reply #583 on: July 25, 2018, 03:23:14 pm »

Making the source open is awesome. Internet points to the creators.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]
« Reply #584 on: July 25, 2018, 03:35:01 pm »

I always, always have the greatest respect for developers who make their game open source after it tails off popularity wise. Whilst I don't get too much into the 'games as a medium of art', I do imagine it's difficult to completely open something that you've poured your heart and soul into to complete strangers. I know in coding myself that there's a lot of 'me' in the code, and it'd be difficult for me to open it up to people.

More than all that though, if your game is a bit of a mess it can be saved by the community, and there's a ton of games I wish could have been continued if someone had the wish to.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40