Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84539 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/18/14 - Early Access Launched!]
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2014, 04:15:47 pm »

I know it's early alpha, and thank you for the opportunity to try it.
Of course; thank you for the support.  We welcome all constructive critique.

So Firgof...When you gonna make the Galactic Senate not just pop into existence before the races actually meet each other? :P

You knew I was gonna ask. :)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2014, 04:17:54 pm »

Never!  Yeah, I dunno - that's something we'll probably consider closer to release when we're polishing stuff up.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2014, 04:25:13 pm »

You know, I'm glad I got in pretty much at/before the start, it feels like I'm all but designing this with you :P (though I wouldn't be much help there tbh. I can do simple text editing and that is where my programming talents end)

Indeed, I do this.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »

Hm. Spent a few hours with this. Combat feels a bit shallow at the moment but I'm sure that'll change. I really appreciate fleets auto micro depending on their make up (beamers move in close, missile ships stay at range).

More offensive diplomatic cards would be nice. Stuff like "enact trade sanctions" (reduces enemy empire's income) or "galactic war" (everyone declares war on an empire). Galactic Civilizations 2 has tons of stuff like this that might be worth a look.

FTL Energy doesn't feel restraining, at least with hyperdrives. I haven't messed around with the other drives yet. Maybe increase the default cost of using hyperdrive (and storage, to make it feel more strategic in use).

This is kind of a vague suggestion, but maybe to make combat more interesting you could scale down the fleets? Make them cheaper to upkeep and build, so that you'll have more operating at any one time. By midgame I had about 9 fleets, which was only enough for 2 task forces and maybe a defense fleet.

Also, it would be great if there was an option to auto rebuild support ships in fleets, maybe on by default.

Remnants feel a bit awkward right now. You can still colonize the system with them there, but they'll swat colony ships that pass over them, which causes problems later on. They're strong enough that you need a decent sized fleet to take them out, but the benefits (the little item you get) aren't that great. Maybe they could be support ships orbiting planets instead? That would block off colonization, making them a bigger threat, but also less dangerous as they wouldn't have a capital ship.

Bring back the rings from Star Ruler 1. The ones that showed military power. Those were great for seeing what was happening at a glance.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:06:27 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2014, 07:16:51 pm »

I miss automation option from star ruler. I could point a 2048 size ship to a sector to conquer it, while my 128 size fast defender ship zipped along countering all threat scouted in the universe

also the budget need a option 'stockpile' which moves leftover to successive periods, otherwise refitting costly ship will be impossible
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:32:55 pm by LoSboccacc »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »

I had a 1280 sized Titan with a full compliment of support ships end up jetting out of the galaxy for reasons unknown. Since I use gates, there's no way to get it back, and rotating the camera doesn't appear to show how far away it is... any way I can scuttle it and the supports without being able to click the ship itself?

Also, as a result, I would suggest a sort of barrier outside the edges, as I can't even pan the camera enough to see it.

Edit: A timeout for notifications on the right hand side for things that have been built (especially buildings) would be good. They tend to build up if I'm throwing a bunch of megafarms and hydrogenators.

Megafarms and hydrogenators also don't seem to free up the resource for the planet they're built on. For example, if I wanted to build both of those on a meat planet so it would stay level 1 without needing any imports, it doesn't show in the available resources category on the right.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:10:55 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »

Yeah, I just picked this up a few hours ago. Loads of fun. It's definitely the most interesting 4X game I've played in a while, in terms of pure mechanics. There's pretty much always something to do which solves a big problem I've had with other real time 4X games. Can't wait to see how it develops. I've only tried singleplayer right now, but multiplayer looks like it'd be a blast, too.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »

I had a 1280 sized Titan with a full compliment of support ships end up jetting out of the galaxy for reasons unknown.

Yeah, this happened to me too.
Twice.

Once was in the tutorial.

Make a copy of the save and upload it to their forums. Its what I would do if I weren't too lazy and inept at uploading things.

Indeed, I do this.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2014, 01:04:24 am »

Hm, after playing some more I found that if you right click a system, you can replenish your flotilla from there. Also, being able to repeat queue research like in Star Ruler 1 would be nice (1 of tech type 1, 2 of tech type 2, 1 of tech type 1...etc).
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:21 pm »

Just a shot in the dark here, but is there any giveaway anywhere about this game? Im dirt poor these time and i would like to try my luck if such place exist.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:00 am »

I've stockpiled two keys for christmas if you are patient enough

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2014, 10:29:57 am »

I've stockpiled two keys for christmas if you are patient enough
That is very appreciated, but by the time you make the giveaway I will be out of the rough patch. I will however send you an extra key before your giveaway to show my appreciation once I get more comfortable with my income.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 25, 2014, 10:58:54 am »

On the experimental branch we've just pushed some content that y'all might find very interesting.
The New and Improved Planet Tab
It can also show you where your money ...
... and, in fact, all your resources are coming from.

Also in this upcoming patch are two new shipsets to replace the temporary one we launched with (which has now become the 'remnant' shipset).  In both these screens my Empire's color is Orange.
Here's the first one.
And here's the second.

These aren't the final versions of the shipsets however - we only have their 'low poly' models at this time and there is still some additional variety we'd like to push in.

If you'd like to wait these changes (and some other improvements and bugfixes) should be coming out on the main branch very soon (assuming we don't run into dire bugs).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:04:59 am by Firgof Umbra »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2014, 01:38:26 pm »

Me likey the planet screen. Goes a long way to helping figure out where your income is going (or coming from), making it a little less magical as to why you suddenly lost x00k budget.

Would also help in lieu of my suggestion for freeing up basic food/water resources to the Unused section once megafarms and hydrogenators are built, though I would still like to see that implemented at some point.

Glad to see some tangible progress on the game so quickly. Are you guys trying for more of a "one small push at a time" or "throw a bunch of stuff out and fix it after" approach in development? Too early for me to say from what I can see.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »

We prefer large updates to small updates.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40