Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84554 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/18/14 - Early Access Launched!]
« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2014, 02:01:31 am »

Mind that the price will go up $5 when we release the full version but yes, we try to keep our games affordable.

Here's the Early Access Trailer, by the way
"They are emptying everyone's wallets!... And then they are gonna empty mine!"

"Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooood!"

...Because this is so beautiful it almost brought tear in my eyes. I'm really happy this game is happening. I might even cave in and buy it now despite tight financial situation.

And I take it you still have the same guy doing the music for you? Because the trailer tells me it's of the same quality than in first one, that is, is absolutely fantastic.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [5/9/14 - New screenshots!]
« Reply #211 on: July 19, 2014, 02:12:21 am »

And Star Ruler 2 is now available for purchase.

heh. i remember playing the original, and then (it must have been a year ago) hearing that the second one was in dev "neat." and now i come to the DF forums and see that it's actually for sale. and i honestly can't remember how many years ago i even heard about it.

NEAT

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2014, 02:57:08 am »

And I take it you still have the same guy doing the music for you
Star Ruler 2's musicians are Daniel Swearengin and Jason Covenant -- both of which have been doing a fantastic job so far.  We only have part of our soundtrack at this time as well so more goodness is on its way.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2014, 03:07:26 am »

Game seems oriented toward early expansion and late warfare, I don't see warship really useful at game start - they only drain resources and enemy is too far to project force - a bit like civ start game

Anyway. Is it planned a way do destroy enemy colonies without taking the planet?

There is hardly a way to contrast early enemy expansion and to disrupt the trade routes but by capturing planets.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2014, 03:08:30 am »

Is it planned a way do destroy enemy colonies without taking the planet?
Bombardment cannons.  They're actually in the game right now.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:19 am »

Ops  :P

Do you ever sleep?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2014, 03:25:40 am »

Sometimes!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2014, 08:25:16 am »

Will you be adding human races and the ability to rename planets and stars (if the latter is in, I haven't found it...) ?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2014, 08:28:45 am »

We'll probably be adding the Terrakin into the game yeah.  Please don't take the current 'races' as canon at this time.  I just threw some race art together in Paint Tool SAI so you wouldn't be staring at flags or colored blocks for now.  More professional looking art is something we are considering.

Renaming planets is currently accomplished through the Diplomacy system with the "Name Planet" card (there is also a 'Name Flagship').  Naming a planet gives it a boost in its population and some free labor -- up to a lot of maximum population if you get your hands on a 3-star card.  They can only be named once though so be careful what you type!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:46:57 am by Firgof Umbra »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:36 am »

Game seems oriented toward early expansion and late warfare, I don't see warship really useful at game start - they only drain resources and enemy is too far to project force - a bit like civ start game

Early warships are nice for dealing with remnants. Very annoying when they're between you and all the worlds you want to colonize.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »

Maybe it's just bad luck, but it seems like the ratio between water and food planets is skewed really far towards water, especially when you consider how much more food your empire needs. Out of ~40 planets, I only had 8 that produced food, and 14 or 15 that produced water.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »

Maybe it's just bad luck, but it seems like the ratio between water and food planets is skewed really far towards water, especially when you consider how much more food your empire needs. Out of ~40 planets, I only had 8 that produced food, and 14 or 15 that produced water.
Spare water planets are really useful since you can combine them to make new resources.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2014, 03:10:16 pm »

it is more convenient to place mega farms anyway

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »

it is more convenient to place mega farms anyway

I feel that mega farms take a bit too much income, as do all imperial buildings. The Core buildings (essentially space stations) also seem to be a bit useless without the ability to make them orbit a planet; nothing really stops someone from simply avoiding that overbeefed defense station. Water is extremely useful en masse, as with 8 (I think) you get Clear Water, which removes all civilian production but converts it directly into budget.

The new planetary system tends to cause me to centralize heavily, and it's like a minigame in itself, though I'm usually very low on cash to start the game.

After playing it a bit, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. It's essentially a completely different game from the original Star Ruler, and feel like it's more meant for small skirmishes than huge 100,000 ship stomps, though that could be due to the way the trading system only works with adjacent planets. While some features have been made a bit easier (fleet management, for example) others have thrown a few more layers of complexity (diplomacy, which can have effects other than simply negotiating with other races, such as the "Name a Planet" card), and the research tree feels a bit sparse at the moment, along with ship building being a little more intuitive, but a little more limiting.

I like the different methods of FTL travel. Gate seems to be best fitted for me, as it means slow early expansion, but once you're in a system and have a new gate established, you're only a quick jump away from any other system under your control, sort of like the Hivers from Sword of the Stars. I think the Slipstream is sort of a direct upgrade to the FTL drive; though slightly more expensive, you can send colony ships through them without an issue. Haven't tried the Fling drive yet.

I know it's early alpha, and thank you for the opportunity to try it. Definitely looking forward to how this turns out in the future.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:49:35 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »

I know it's early alpha, and thank you for the opportunity to try it.
Of course; thank you for the support.  We welcome all constructive critique.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40