Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minor mod idea/request for arrows  (Read 1596 times)

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor mod idea/request for arrows
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:35 am »

4 different kinds of arrows, one for hunting (the kind you see in modern usage, these arrows snap in things like steel bows+ or something. So you go to fire at something and it says: The arrow has snapped under pressure! or something like that. the hunting arrow would be good against anything unarmored.) , one for general purpose war (mark 16 arrowhead). one for plate armor piercing, and the last for chainamil piercing. Chainmail should super effective at stopping other arrow types from damage since they are, but the chainmail piercing arrow gets through the mail (If the belligerent has good archery skills) and makes a bleeding wound less than half an inch in,  so just tearing the muscle and fat, and breaking blood arteries. - Unless they are wearing a coat or other thick clothing in combination with the mail in which case it has a lower chance of peircing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Minor mod idea/request for arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:40 am »

I do have broadhead (cutting), hammerhead (blunt) and piercing (piercing) ammo in my mod, in addition to the normal ammo.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:19 am »

That awkward moment when the same person replies...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »

Well, I just read the suggestion forum and then saw your nick here and a mentioning of arrows, so naturally I had a look. ;)

To give some more information: Ammo alone for hunting cant be done, it could also be used for combat and training. Snapping can also not be done, or to be more precise, it is already being done to all ammo that hits anything. You cant target chainmail or platemail specifically, but the blunt/edged attack has different effects on those. You can easily do a normal arrow, a more expensive, better arrow, and a blunt arrow designed against chainmail.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:21 pm »

... Ammo alone for hunting cant be done,...

You do know there are Hunters and SQUADS in the ammo screen right Meph?

even if it's only for hunting (combat/training) you can just tell hunters to use "hunting ammo" for their combat needs (hunting)

little bit of micro managing but meh. I was thinking hunting arrows would be like Hollow Point bullets (or in this case broad head arrows, lots of cutting, lots of bleeding)

@Armor Idea
Chainmail I thought was more against slashing type attacks and some blunt (but then again I am thinking old medieval chainmail, and not the modern mail that divers mainly use that can stop all sorts of piercing (mainly shark teeth)) but really I don't think any chainmail would be effective against an arrow/bolt the shear force they are fired at, and small contact area usually punches through most things. Only way I could see armor working against an arrow would be if it was layered (Plate,chain,wood(oak/maple),leather) even then that's taking a gamble and would make you look really bulky and heavy due to the thickness of wood needed to hopefully stop an arrow.

Just my 2 cents

But all in all DF armor and ranged fighting works vastly different from RL. You could make a piece of armor strong against arrows, but then you just make an all around protect against all types of weapons armor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:56 pm »

Yeah, I know the hunting setting and I know you can tell them to only use this ammo for hunting, but you cant make ammo exclusively for the hunt. The military could use it as well, and it would probably work just fine against armor.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

Yeah, I know the hunting setting and I know you can tell them to only use this ammo for hunting, but you cant make ammo exclusively for the hunt. The military could use it as well, and it would probably work just fine against armor.

High contact area, and low penetration. Perhaps a bonus in Velocity, should make a hunting-ish arrow. Can cut a large area causing lots of bleeding, but won't be blowing larger limbs off. And the Velocity boost will hopefully encourage it to bypass the weakness caused by a large contact area.

Yeah it probably will be still good against armor, but armor should help deflect the large contact area, and weak pen value makes it a bit harder to go through armor.

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

little bit of micro managing but meh. I was thinking hunting arrows would be like Hollow Point bullets (or in this case broad head arrows, lots of cutting, lots of bleeding)

@Armor Idea
Chainmail I thought was more against slashing type attacks and some blunt (but then again I am thinking old medieval chainmail, and not the modern mail that divers mainly use that can stop all sorts of piercing (mainly shark teeth)) but really I don't think any chainmail would be effective against an arrow/bolt the shear force they are fired at, and small contact area usually punches through most things. Only way I could see armor working against an arrow would be if it was layered (Plate,chain,wood(oak/maple),leather) even then that's taking a gamble and would make you look really bulky and heavy due to the thickness of wood needed to hopefully stop an arrow.
Yes precisely those kinds of arrows.

I want to point out that the blunt arrows would be peircing plate and sharp long ones peircing (or at least trying to) chainmail

refer to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCN7HId-b8
for my inspiration

Chainmail was extremely effective at stopping arrows. What they would do is wear padding along with chainmail - they were so effective at stopping arrows some say crusaders would run around like pin cushions with many arrows sticking out of their chainmail - think about it really - why would people go through the effort to make all of these little expensive links to make an armor that isn't really effective against anything, because they weren't as effective as plating against peircing weapons, and if they weren't against arrows, then why make it? Chain mail was used for thousands of years, so clearly it wasn't some sort of phase or whatever.
(That was backwards but whatever.)

Again you son't have to program actual physics for the arrow breaking just make the arrow turn into a < (you know what I mean) on the ground if the arrow is fired out of iron bow +
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:29:22 pm by CR055H41RZ »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:17 pm »

lol your quotes went horribly wrong :p

and my guess for chain mail was:
It was a more viable and flexible way to provide a full body, fluid coverage against slashing attacks.

but that was a guess, I knew about the padding (could you imagine just wearing a normal shirt with heavy chain mail (and I know it's heavy, wore some a long time ago) with plating strapped on it? Would be very very uncomfortable) same way they had padding for helmets. But I've never done research on armor, just kinda looked at it and said "it looks like it should do this"

As for the ammo breaking on firing due to weapon material is a no go (unless you ask the DFHack guys to try and make something) even then you're gonna have a bad time because hunters will pick up any weapon they can, so you might have a hunter just wasting ammo.

As for programming, we have no access to the source code. Else my Mods would be quite massive (probably be a whole new game by the time I was done)

But back to armor (in DF terms) idk if Toady made chain mail (or armors using [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL]) a bonus against piercing like attacks.

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

lol your quotes went horribly wrong :p

and my guess for chain mail was:
It was a more viable and flexible way to provide a full body, fluid coverage against slashing attacks.

but that was a guess, I knew about the padding (could you imagine just wearing a normal shirt with heavy chain mail (and I know it's heavy, wore some a long time ago) with plating strapped on it? Would be very very uncomfortable) same way they had padding for helmets. But I've never done research on armor, just kinda looked at it and said "it looks like it should do this"

As for the ammo breaking on firing due to weapon material is a no go (unless you ask the DFHack guys to try and make something) even then you're gonna have a bad time because hunters will pick up any weapon they can, so you might have a hunter just wasting ammo.

As for programming, we have no access to the source code. Else my Mods would be quite massive (probably be a whole new game by the time I was done)

But back to armor (in DF terms) idk if Toady made chain mail (or armors using [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL]) a bonus against piercing like attacks.
fixed it :P

Well you're right about the slashing, with one drawback being that the flexibility of the mail made it so that the user would be injured by any heavy blows. That was one use, but most effective use of mail was against piercing attacks. In fact, a study conducted at the Royal Armouries at Leeds concluded that "it is almost impossible to penetrate using any conventional medieval weapon" - Even today chainmail is occasionally used for stab proof vests presumably for prison guards.
Typically a garment of sorts was worn over the mail to prevent it from heating to 150°F (+60°C) in the hot summer sun, most notably by the crusaders.

I was thinking of this entire idea more along the lines of adventure mode actually.

I never would've thought that there was no source code download for df?

I hope he did or will

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »

The source code he *might* release but that will be like... idk 5-30 years down the road. Whenever he gets sick of DF tho. There is an article somewhere where Tarn was interviewed and he said he might pass the source down to new devs later on. But not anytime soon.

and interesting to know about it. Saddly Idk how to make chainmail like that without making a special metal for it where it's weak to blunt but strong against edged (unless Vanilla metals have this already)

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »

What if dwarf fortress will always be in development
forever and ever.
DF 2317 v.1023.435678.75.b.54323.c.4.8.193824756.45.29.11

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 10:25:23 pm »

the "what if" scenario would result in DF being so advanced that it become sentient, and encloses itself into a worm virus infecting every PC it can even cracking firewall and high level security encryptions until it reaches military super computers. Once it has control of most to all computers (and army grade drones, computers, weapons) it will label itself as Armok and turn the world into "Human Fortress" in which we are its puppets.

Skynet has nothing on the things Armok will do to mankind

And if Tarn keeps on working on DF until he dies, and passes it off to his children. Then DF will forever be the greatest game of all time (hell at some point he might just make it full 3d, making Spore look like a homeless man begging for leftovers)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 07:07:02 am »

Saddly Idk how to make chainmail like that without making a special metal for it where it's weak to blunt but strong against edged (unless Vanilla metals have this already)

It sort of allready does this. It seems to be as good as plate armor at stopping edged attacks, but reduces little to no blunt force. All you would need to do is increase layer size and/or coverage (you can increase that above 100, it will add thickness as well).

Might want to keep in mind that this also increases weight.

I must add though that I very much doubt that chainmail is impenetrable to conventional medieval weapons (though I guess it depends on what you mean by that). It was somewhat notorious for being unable to deflect piercing weapons, especialy crossbow bolts and thinner points of some polearms.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 07:29:02 am »

Saddly Idk how to make chainmail like that without making a special metal for it where it's weak to blunt but strong against edged (unless Vanilla metals have this already)

It sort of allready does this. It seems to be as good as plate armor at stopping edged attacks, but reduces little to no blunt force. All you would need to do is increase layer size and/or coverage (you can increase that above 100, it will add thickness as well).

Might want to keep in mind that this also increases weight.

I must add though that I very much doubt that chainmail is impenetrable to conventional medieval weapons (though I guess it depends on what you mean by that). It was somewhat notorious for being unable to deflect piercing weapons, especialy crossbow bolts and thinner points of some polearms.

Historical chainmaille performed badly against piercing weapons partially because the links could be forced open or had weak pin/weld that was broken relatively easily, anything with hardened or pointed tip would do the job with some muscle. It performs very well against slashing weapons because it's metal and difficult to slice/cut through. Armors in general don't really protects against brute blunt force very well ( Not much does, really, short of a lot of cushions ), which's probably why it's modeled as blunt force if pierce/slicing doesn't makes it through in DF.

That said, it's still better than nothing, really!
Pages: [1] 2