Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 63

Author Topic: Only War: Warband OOC FULL  (Read 54098 times)

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only War: Warband OOC 5/6
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2013, 02:55:41 am »

I know I meant just fold in a larger number of them as infantry. Or you can always fold in some Kasrkin instead, either one fits the character I was designing.

I've been designing my character around being medium/heavy shock infantry. I have a general dislike of cavalry in this setting for some reason.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:14 am »

I know I meant just fold in a larger number of them as infantry. Or you can always fold in some Kasrkin instead, either one fits the character I was designing.
We're not Cadians, and personally I'd really rather not fight near the Eye.
Attaching some standard Storm Troopers should be fine, though. Perhaps the regiment commander pulled a favour somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:16:44 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2013, 03:13:55 am »

You're all fighting in a homebrewed sector on a homebrewed planet. I highly doubt you'll see any famous or well known regiments in this corner of the galaxy, especially not any Cadians.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2013, 03:16:56 am »

"What's that, oh roller? You wish to make a techpriest? And you need Characteristic scores? Well, ok then..."
WS   15 (+20)   35
BS   10 (+20)   30
STR   15 (+20)   15
T   9 (+20)   29
AGI   20 (+20)   40
INT   16 (+20)   36
PER   14 (+20)   34
WIL   16 (+20)   36
FEL   9 (+20)   29
"Oh god this is horrible, must re-roll toughness!"
And that's the story of why my dice are on fire.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 03:21:07 am »

Lol nice.

Yeah I figured, shame though. Did I mention I love Cadians :P. Because I really love Cadians.
Seriously give me 10.000 orks to fight and a choice between 10,000 normal imperial guard or 1,000 Cadians and I'll take the Cadians every time.

If you don't mind a mixed regiment we can add a storm trooper regiment as the minor regiment. I'm sure we can find a way to make a commando infantry force work for us.

Will we frequently be off on our own? Or will we be working in larger forces?
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 04:22:16 am »

Lol nice.
Bah, humbug.

If you don't mind a mixed regiment we can add a storm trooper regiment as the minor regiment. I'm sure we can find a way to make a commando infantry force work for us.
We don't need a minor regiment, we can either go with a Stormtrooper Detachment or count you as a Grenadier.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:10 am »

Regardless of the rest, you need to take all the Drawbacks. All of them, and damn the rules.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:56 am »

The detachment would be a minor regiment though wouldn't it? They'd have to have been folded in from another regiment and it's the only way to actually have them armed as stormtroopers from what the rules say.
Otherwise it has to be a pure regiment. Isn't that the point of the mixed regiment rules being added?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:29:09 am by Alexandria »
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 05:00:50 am »

The detachment would be a minor regiment though wouldn't it? They'd have to have been folded in from another regiment.
Otherwise it has to be a pure regiment.
Um, what? No. We can go with either a Storm Trooper detachment to the regiment (which is how all Storm Troopers work, kind of like how Naval assets are used to ferry Guard around), or use some sort of local Storm Trooper equivalent like Grenadiers, which would be all from our regiment.

and it's the only way to actually have them armed as stormtroopers from what the rules say
Where does it say that?

Isn't that the point of the mixed regiment rules being added?
No? The point of those rules was to provide a rules framework for mixed regiments, which are a well established part of IG fluff.
Probably cashing in on all the people wanting to play as that mixed Valhallan regiment Cain was in, heh.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:03:18 am by Harbingerjm »

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:08 am »

Maybe, the information for it says that it's to allow forces that are not from one type of regiment to still be used in it, but I might just be misunderstanding it.

Although a storm trooper attachment to a mounted force? Seems a little odd to attach a relatively slow moving infantry force to a high speed mounted one.
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:31 am »

Yeah, like using a siege regiment with an armoured regiment, or a reconnaissance regiment with an artillery regiment. Not only do you not need to use mixed regiments to use Storm Troopers, you can't anyway: There's no "Storm Trooper" Regiment Type, and both sides of a mixed regiment use the same gear list.

And Storm Troopers are supposed to be the opposite of slow moving, they're all about spearheading assaults, infiltration and behind-enemy-lines operations, and airborne or mechanised assault. Pretty similar to Rough Riders, though with slightly different terrain issues.

Anyway, odd decisions are pretty damn common in the Imperium. It's a pretty wacky place.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2013, 06:07:11 am »

Fair point, though I meant slow compared to rough riders themselves. Infantry can't keep pace but I suppose you could carry them in on the back of the riders then deploy them a mile or two short of the battlefield.

Let the infantry push in then smash the flanks with riders once they're distracted by then storm troopers.

Siege and armor actually makes a lot of sense, siege regiment softens it up, the armor smashes through the weakened line.
Artillery and Recon makes some sense as well, artillery bombardments are great for making people duck to let your scouts slip through.
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2013, 06:14:19 am »

Fair point, though I meant slow compared to rough riders themselves. Infantry can't keep pace but I suppose you could carry them in on the back of the riders then deploy them a mile or two short of the battlefield.
See: Mechanised assault. Stick the Storm Troopers in Chimeras or whatever, they should be able to keep up fine.

Let the infantry push in then smash the flanks with riders once they're distracted by then storm troopers.
A valid tactic.

Siege and armor actually makes a lot of sense, siege regiment softens it up, the armor smashes through the weakened line.
Artillery and Recon makes some sense as well, artillery bombardments are great for making people duck to let your scouts slip through.
I know, that's why I chose those specifically, as examples of what the mixed regiment rules were created for.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:56 am »

Still doesn't make a huge amount of sense to place 2 such different forces together, but it has potential if the commander has the balls to take risks with it.
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:00 am »

See:
Anyway, odd decisions are pretty damn common in the Imperium.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 63