Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prepared Bumblebee Brain  (Read 2578 times)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prepared Bumblebee Brain
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:09:02 pm »

Found in my embark list. Could someone please explain this madness to me?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prepared Bumblebee Brain
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »

supply and demand does not apply in df yet hereby you have people making a living squeezing brains out of bumblebees and preparing them for domestic consumption

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »

Partially a bug, anything within region that a civ controls have all of their organ meats offered, and blood too. Even vermins or critters too small to have meat.

On other hand, with how many migrant mountainhome sends, maybe they're just that bored :D

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:19:36 pm »

I personally never embark without it.  The "free barrel" bug makes the first year or two of the fort (before I can get the rock pot industry going) a TON easier, letting me focus on that starting furniture. 

If you don't know, its the fact that you get storage for every item you embark with.  So if you take sand, you get a bag (more valuable than the sand).  If you take food, you get your food stored in as few barrels as possible, but matter from different animals will always be stored in different barrels.  Brains are the only body part small vermin like insects have avaliable, so I buy out 2-point prepared brains (including all the insect ones) as my embark food to maximize barrels.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »

Well, you know how beekeepers will sometimes get confused and just stand around claiming they're trying to install a colony to a hive? The truth is, they're actually killing the bees one at a time and trying to prepare their brains...but they know it would take a dwarf most of their life to prepare a full barrel of bee brains, so they pretend to be doing actual work so the overseer won't notice they're wasting time on such nonsense.

In the big rock candy Mountainhomes, of course, there are no overseers (and the little streams of alcohol/ Come dribbling down the rocks), so a dwarf can get away with wasting their life that way there.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:55:09 pm »

Partially a bug, anything within region that a civ controls have all of their organ meats offered, and blood too. Even vermins or critters too small to have meat.

On other hand, with how many migrant mountainhome sends, maybe they're just that bored :D

Partially a bug,

PARTIALLY A BUG

I see what you did there.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:45:00 pm »

Partially a bug,

PARTIALLY A BUG

I LOL'd
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

Partially a bug,

PARTIALLY A BUG

I LOL'd

Ditto

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:30 am »

I understood that blood and insect brains were for/from trading with the other races.

Goblins don't now, but they should in the future, drink blood from barrels much like dwarfs drink booze.

I assume that sprite like fairy creatures need trade too, so they gather insect brains.  Imagine an entire nation of fey working all year collecting millions of fly brains to produce that one barrel for trade.

What they trade it for is beyond me.  Maybe that toy forge just happens to be a fully operational toy forge.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:42:28 am »

I understood that blood and insect brains were for/from trading with the other races.

Goblins don't now, but they should in the future, drink blood from barrels much like dwarfs drink booze.

I assume that sprite like fairy creatures need trade too, so they gather insect brains.  Imagine an entire nation of fey working all year collecting millions of fly brains to produce that one barrel for trade.

What they trade it for is beyond me.  Maybe that toy forge just happens to be a fully operational toy forge.

And now I want to play Fae Fortress, if only because it sounds amusing.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:51:11 am »

And now I want to play Fae Fortress, if only because it sounds amusing.

'Attack of the Sugar-Plum Fairies'?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:11:50 am »

I was thinking more, Olde School Fae, the ones where they're 6 cm tall and pants shittingly terrifying.

Seriously, the Olde Fae were twisted. If they were kind (by our standards), they would simply murder you. If they weren't, you could be made to dance for centuries on end, driven mad by hunger, thirst, and exhaustion but kept alive against your will so that they might watch you dance further until they get bored and end you, and even then they might bring you back because it'd be funny to watch you break down into tears after being dragged back to the world of the living.

The Olde Fae had all the worst parts of elves, but you were too scared to upset them to do anything about it.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:44 am »

The Olde Fae had all the worst parts of elves, but you were too scared to upset them to do anything about it.
You call them "The Fair Folk" because to refer to them by an unkind name would be to draw their ire.

And, of course, they weren't always small, either.  They had some of the nasty parts of goblins too, being babysnatchers and all.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

Some fey from european (and those from the brittish isle, scottland, and ireland) legends are simply "inscrutable."

Take for instance, brownies. These are often depicted as living inside houses with the residents completely unaware of their shared habitation, where the brownies clean the house when the "owner" isn't looking, and other potentially useful actions. (in addition to several not so useful actions, like eating food, moving furniture, altering the decor, etc.) So much so in fact, that they have incentive to keep a "good, moronic human" in the house they live in to keep their cover. So, if he/she is a baker, they will help with the baking when nobody is looking-- etc, to help that human "keep the house".  However, if the human at any time realizes that he/she is a host to these fey, they resent being "expected" to help, and will either switch into full on peevish mode, or simply abandon the home owner to his/her own misfortunes.

The "Evil, make you dance forever", "Turn you into stone", "Turn you into a tree", "Turn you into a spring" type fey are usually the more fickle nature and forest fey that are opposed to human activity. Presumably, they can't reproduce by themselves reliably, and steal human babies to raise up as surrogate children that they then marry off, or otherwise discard later. In place of the child, they leave a twisted magical construct, or failed offspring of fey origin. (Most folklore has this exchanged object being an enchanted lump of stone or clay. In some circumstances, an actual child is present, but it is sickly and unhealthy, and usually dies. The ones that do survive infancy tend to be decidedly non-human in temperament and appearance as they get older.) This is not indicative of all fey however.  Gnomes are similar to brownies superficially, and are typically benign. Other nature spirits that could be called fey are considered essential in some european cultures, such as in the ancient norse traditions. The ritual known as the Nithstang is said to "Infuriate" these spirits, causing them to vacate the area, resulting in the land becoming barren and infertile, and inhospitable to human occupation. (please ignore the political stuff at the bottom.)

While all of these entities are decidedly "Fey", the "We get off on torturing you with magic, like a child enjoys roasting ants with a magnifying glass" types are only one kind.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:49:42 pm by wierd »

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

Yes, but tell me which would be more fun to play, a group of Fae/Fay/Your-Choice-Of-Spelling where you help whoever you happen to be hitching a free ride from, or ones who bend nature to their twisted and alien whims and engage in blessed kindness and abominable horrors?

[insert joke regarding Bay12 habits here]
Pages: [1] 2