Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting a thief jailed  (Read 1206 times)

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting a thief jailed
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:46:03 am »

OK, there have been many times now that I have needed a goblin thief in a cage trap taken care of, now i'd preferably jail them but I don't really know how to go about it :/ I know about the justice system and jailing a dwarf that has killed but jailing the creatures is just a mystery to me :( If i cant jail them however how should I go about taking care of them?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a thief jailed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:55:33 am »

Dwarven justice applies to dwarves. Hostile creatures / sentients need only be disposed of. Preferably to train your military, just remember to disarm them.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »

Dig a pit as deep as you prefer yourself with no way out and dump them in via pit zone. Problem solved.
That is if you want to keep them alife for some reason. Otherwise slaught... let them talk to your military
or drop them into deep enough water or magma.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:15:31 pm »

You can designate a pit, and order the goblins to be dumped in.  However, unless it's a killing pit, you will either want to dump only a single goblin in each pit, or find some way of creating a blind to keep dwarves from looking into the pit as they're hauling goblins over to it, otherwise they'll be scared by the goblins they see in the pit and release the goblins they're hauling over to the edge so that they can flee from the scary pit-goblins.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:28:18 pm »

You can build cages and assign creatures to them, including enemies, dwarves cannot be outside of abusing justice system. Though I believe thieves tend to escape from bringer's grasp as soon as they're out of the cage. I've not dealt with any caged ones in current version yet.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:45:42 pm »

Use floor hatches to avoid your dorfs being scared upon seeing pitted creatures. And yes, some creatures will escape as soon as the cage is opened.

You can find plenty of info in the Mass Pitting article.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:22:40 am »

They can still move thief for one tile putting him in another cage or dumping him in a pit for example.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:03:44 am »

If it's already in a cage can't you just build that cage?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

You can build cages and assign creatures to them, including enemies, dwarves cannot be outside of abusing justice system. Though I believe thieves tend to escape from bringer's grasp as soon as they're out of the cage. I've not dealt with any caged ones in current version yet.

In the current version, thieves don't get a special bonus to escape their handlers - if the dwarf leading the prisoner is disturbed, they might let go, but thieves now appear to be handled just like, say axegoblins in that respect. I've ordered thieves transported over dozens to hundreds of tiles, and they didn't slip away.

EDIT: Yes, you can build occupied cages. You can also transfer captured creatures from a non-built cage to an already-built one, in case you e.g. want to collect all your goblins in a single clear glass box and then turn that into an aquarium.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:59:20 am »

What about more "dangerous" creatures? Will a caged Cave Dragon, cave crocodile or similar flee away from Urist Pitprisoners?
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:12:20 am »

In the current version, thieves don't get a special bonus to escape their handlers - if the dwarf leading the prisoner is disturbed, they might let go, but thieves now appear to be handled just like, say axegoblins in that respect. I've ordered thieves transported over dozens to hundreds of tiles, and they didn't slip away.

EDIT: Yes, you can build occupied cages. You can also transfer captured creatures from a non-built cage to an already-built one, in case you e.g. want to collect all your goblins in a single clear glass box and then turn that into an aquarium.

Ah good to know, I've not actually tested goblin thieves since 31.08 or so, they used to escape all the time once they're out of their cage, even just hauled.

What about more "dangerous" creatures? Will a caged Cave Dragon, cave crocodile or similar flee away from Urist Pitprisoners?

They've been docile while being taken or pitted. So far, for me, at least. Once they're free of their handler's grasp, well, normal behavior takes over.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »

Ok, thanks for the answer!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!