Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So I created a permanent source of fire... now what?  (Read 7014 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: So I created a permanent source of fire... now what?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:59 pm »

Or these are more than glass and closer to gem windows?
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »

Oh the beautiful one. 10$ per block.
Finis sanctificat media.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:36 am »

I hate to be the rational dude in DF, but the undead won't let your dwarves eat if you do that in the dining room. You should do this in a statue garden or another meeting spot to prevent parties.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:32 am »

I hate to be the rational dude in DF, but the undead won't let your dwarves eat if you do that in the dining room. You should do this in a statue garden or another meeting spot to prevent parties.

Less breaks spent eating means more time working so i see no problem with them eternally shitting themselves when they imagine lunch time.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:50 am »

The problem is that they will cancel eating every single time they see a zombie, so they just won't eat. And that is not good for the average dwarf's health.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:00 am »

The problem is that they will cancel eating every single time they see a zombie, so they just won't eat. And that is not good for the average dwarf's health.

Maybe we should vampirise the whole fort?
You, sir, have just taken the hint.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »

I once ended a fort by doing that, except my mushroom men were tame for decades (judicious modding of the cavern creatures to have [PET]) and I lit the whole tribe on fire at once and then let them meander to their favorite dining rooms. It mostly worked. There were still survivors in the end. Some tantruming dwarves even started killing the mushroom men (although at the time they were not too picky)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 01:54:06 pm »

Actually, I was thinking about how this could be used to perform delicious science experiments on dwarves, concerning diet and fatness.

I have seen dwarves with descriptions like "Once thin frame now belarded with untold amounts of fat", which leads me to suspect that obesiety can be "induced" by diet.

So, installing undead in the dining room using my peepshow booth setup would allow "on demand viewings" of undead in the dining halls, which would basically make food "on/offable", given the mechanic described.

One could carefully keep the fortress 'just' at the edge of starvation this way, while still having lots of food on hand, in order to better study the effects of hunger and food choice on dwarven obesity.

Thank you for mentioning this curious behavior!

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 05:24:24 pm »

Did you just weaponize food?
Or you could just, you know, throw it at the enemies?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02:41 pm »

Possible uses:

"Party interrupt lever"
"Dietary science"
"Crowd control"

For the first, install the peepshow booth inside the statue gardens and dining halls. Link all devices to a single lever.  Any time you get the "X has organized a party at Y" message, throw the lever, wait a few seconds, then throw it again. Party cancelled.

For the second, I have already stated the intent.

The last is a little curious...  say you have an area of the fort that you need to keep pathable, but want to keep dwarves out of. Installing the peepshow booth with dancing skeletons inside will make dwarves cancel whatever they are doing in proximity with the booth, while being perfectly safe otherwise. This can keep dwarves away from dangerous locations, assuming you have dealt with the issues of "saw the undead" thoughts contributing to fortress wide neurosis.

The normal peepshow booth system poses a significant risk of atomsmashing friendlies, so a little modification to the design is in order:

O÷÷÷÷÷÷÷O
÷_________÷
÷_OBBBO_÷
÷_B÷÷÷B_÷
÷_B÷N÷B_÷
÷_B÷÷÷B_÷
÷_OBBBO_÷
÷_________÷
O÷÷÷÷÷÷÷O

It's a little bulky, but installing it inside a hallway intersection would render the hallway essentially impassible to dwarves on demand, since they would see the zombie and cancel their current pathing job, and run way.  The outer ring of fortifications allows LoS TO the zombie, but prevents pathing on the "smashy" floor tiles, allowing perfectly safe operation of the booth. Such a booth could be installed decoratively inside the legendary dining hall, and in the statue gardens quite easily.

(Key:)
O == wall
÷ == fortification
B == raising bridge
_ == floor
N == zombie

I normally don't include the outer ring of fortifications, since I put these outside, and put syndrome secretion spewing FBs in them, and if gobbo mcgoblin decides to stand on the smashy tile, well, one less body to clean up.

Being "on/off-able" like that means such a feature could be used quite inventively.

An improvement on the design would put a walled in necromancer directly above the zombie chamber, standing on a floor grate floor. That way, if Urist McMarksdwarf decides that seeing the animated skeleton of his dearly departed aunt ducim is just more than he can handle, and opens fire and kills the zombie, the necromancer will immediately see the corpse and raise it, while being safely out of LoS from the marksdwarf. Getting necromancers in sufficient numbers may prove problematical without using Embark! on top of a necro tower though.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:18:13 pm by wierd »

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:38 am »

Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

See if you can find a way to reliably melt the fat off your dwarves. Supposedly it makes them pain-resistant and virtually fireproof.

Also, you can use flammable artifacts to create permanent fire. As amusing as the idea of burning a plump helmet man for years on end is, crappy wooden artifacts are way more common.

What's all this "reliably"?  Just set up a migrant-entrance-gauntlet where you set them all on fire and/or drop them down about 3 z-levels.  Into a hospital of course so you can train doctors.  Survival rates won't be good - but migrant dwarves are a nearly limitless resource.
Pages: 1 [2]