Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf in mood will not build(have the mats)  (Read 1249 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf in mood will not build(have the mats)
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »

I have an armorer who has taken over a metalsmiths forge in the secretive mood who will not start building.

He sketches "pictures of rough gems" "shining bars of metal" and "skeletons"

I have 51 rough gems, 8 bars of metal(2 silver, 5 copper, 1 bronze) and many bones(turkey, boar, reindeer)

None of which are forbidden, yet he just won't start building. What could be going wrong? Does he need a certain labor enabled? I fear he will starve soon. :(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:34:50 pm by Art »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in mood will not build(have the mats)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »

Check the dwarf's preferences.  If he likes a particular type of metal, he might require it for his mood: mine/smelt or trade for some bars of it.

And don't worry about your armorer starving.  Moody dwarves have no earthly needs -- even if they enter the mood thirsty and take over a year making a planepacked, they'll still be in much the same state when they leave as when they entered.  They will go insane (possibly violently) after too long, though, which is a fatal condition.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:50:13 pm »

Bone stacks tend to be glitchy, try slaughtering a new animal and seeing if he'll take it's bones.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:59 pm »

Yep he went berserk. :(

I read about the preferences thing on the wiki. It was iron. I melted the only iron shortsword I had but it was not enough for a bar.

That really sucked because I have over 40 metal weapons and armor of nearly every type except iron. There doesn't seem to be iron on my map either, even though I'm partly in a mountain.

I guess I have to kill him now before he destroys everything?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:11:43 pm »

you can cage him and use him as a psa against wanting the wrong type of metal for a artifact.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »

I have an armorer who has taken over a metalsmiths forge in the secretive mood who will not start building.

I have 51 rough gems, 8 bars of metal(2 silver, 5 copper, 1 bronze) and many bones(turkey, boar, reindeer)

None of which are forbidden, yet he just won't start building. What could be going wrong? Does he need a certain labor enabled? I fear he will starve soon. :(

"Skeletons" means skulls, I believe, not bones. I think when they want bones they sketch "stacks of bones" or something like that.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:48:51 am »

"Skeletons" means skulls, I believe, not bones. I think when they want bones they sketch "stacks of bones" or something like that.

No they sketch skeletons or scream "I must have bones".

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »

I don't think skulls are a mood material unless it's the base for the artifact.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Swyftfeet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:01 am »

Sometimes they need more that one type of bones... I had a buttload of turkey bones in the stockpile and watched the guy come over and grab some turkey bones and he was still yelling he needed stuff so I slaughtered a donkey and boom he went and got the donkey bones and he then started his construction.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

Bone stacks tend to be glitchy, try slaughtering a new animal and seeing if he'll take it's bones.
This has fixed for me the very problem you describe many times, even though I had bones of that animal type in the fortress.  You can also try setting up a stockpile of just bones.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »

Bone stacks are slightly buggy in that you can often have a "[creature] bone" that's actually a stack of zero. If the bones you have available are in stacks of two or more, they're definitely alright to use. Sometimes you'll have a "[creature] bone" that really is a stack of one, but that requires either a separated part just big enough to rot down to one unit of bone or a stack of bone that was abandoned just before the bone carving job that would have used up the whole stack. I don't think there's anything in vanilla that gives one bone when butchered.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.