Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Belgium trip!  (Read 854 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Belgium trip!
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:56 am »

So i'm taking my family to Belgium problem is i have nothing planned so far :P
so dear bay12 anyone got any idea? what's there to do in belgium?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium trip!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:51:36 am »

Only time I've been to Belgium was on a history trip over the weekend to learn more about WW2.

However, the chocolate from their is nice, and, according to my brother, the hot chocolate is brilliant, so you have that.

that's nice and all but... i hate choclate -_- SCRATCH THAT THIS SHIT IS AWESOME

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:54:20 am by SharpKris »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

Depends what you're interested in, and where you're going. Belgium isn't that big, but anyway.

Well, here's something per province.
West Flanders: War memories, Ieper, Belgian coast. (Not that interesting). Medieval city of Brugge is nice.
East Flanders: Not much to do here. There are a few musea in Ghent. You can go cycling. Belgium is fairly flat.
Antwerp: City of Antwerp. Fairly Big, harbor. Has a few big churches, musea, a harbor. Visit parts of the old city. Eat waffles
Bruxelles*: Visit the capital. Visit the European parliament. Visit some other buildings. Palace of Justice is rather impressive. Also lots of musea. And waffles. Visit the world most overhyped statue. Also mussels.
Limburg:  Quite a bit of nature. Some interesting musea. Visit the old coal mines.

*Technically the province of Waver

I'll leave the other 5 provinces to the other 5 Belgians.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:01 am »

West Flanders: War memories, Ieper, Belgian coast. (Not that interesting). Medieval city of Brugge is nice.

Medieval city? got some more details?
everyone told me about that peeing child statue and all i could think about is "dafaq belguia?"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:19 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp50aAVNc-U

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:29 am »

Pretty much every city in Belgium has an old medieval core. Some are nicer than others.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:44:49 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp50aAVNc-U
Movie.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 05:53:52 pm »

You could spend a lot of time in Antwerp. Antwerp is lovely. Not been to the rest, but friends have told me that Ghent is lovely, as is Bruge. Also, in the countryside of Flanders they [some of them, rather] speak Flemish! Flemish is a magical language spoken by only the most Flemish of Flemings, and then there's whatever it is they speak in Ghent...
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:05 am »

You could spend a lot of time in Antwerp. Antwerp is lovely. Not been to the rest, but friends have told me that Ghent is lovely, as is Bruge. Also, in the countryside of Flanders they [some of them, rather] speak Flemish! Flemish is a magical language spoken by only the most Flemish of Flemings, and then there's whatever it is they speak in Ghent...
Kinda, each and every province has it's own dialect. Some are interesting, some are funny, and they all complicate conversations.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:35:01 am »

Cycling is pretty recommended, since Flanders is pretty flat. The Hageland, on the edge of Limburg and Flemish Brabant, close to where I live, is a popular cycling destination. I'm afraid the only Walloon on B12 is... Aw, I forgot his name. If you're going to the coast, De Haan is probably the best-looking village. 

E: Aarschot is a neat little town on the edge of the Hageland. Then again, I'm biased since I live there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:37:59 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Khloe80

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 04:11:08 am »

:) Thanks for the simple advice, I'm traveling at the moment and thinking of doing a trip to Belgium as a lot of people say its really nice. I will put those things down on my list to research :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:24:39 am »

It's just propaganda from the Glorious Belgian Empire :P

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:13 am »

Find my great-grandfather's grave for me? But really, I've got nothing.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:12 am »

Dont think that biking is a family activity :P
the kids would love the medieval stuff though! (the kids yea....)
wounder if they'd like a dinner and show stuff

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:29 am »

It can be fun as a family activity if your kids have the endurance. Either way, the villages aren't VERY mediaeval unless you go to Brughes or some of the other large ones. If you pass by Bruxeles, you could visit a theme park called Mini-Europe. It contains small recreations of a lot of well-known monuments like the Colosseum.

Tongeren is pretty well-known for having the Gallo-Roman museum. There are a lot of cafes and restaurants pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:47:09 am by miauw62 »

Pages: [1] 2