Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could anyone help me with my build? Need a gaming mobo  (Read 662 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Could anyone help me with my build? Need a gaming mobo
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »

Currently looking into upgrading to a gaming computer, have everything except a mobo that works with the parts I have. I thought I had compatible parts, but in reality I'm just an idiot.
Here is the mobo I was looking at, and here is my build. I would like to keep it under $700, so no mobos over $110, please.  Also, the note for this build says:
Intended to be a well off, mid-range gaming computer. Low res screen for better FPS.
Also, the poor disc drive is because I don't really need one. Maybe for a Ubuntu/Windows disc, but that's it. Digital downloads (for games and whatnot) are where it's at.

I'm somewhat content on the specs, maybe an upgrade on the GPU, not sure if it's needed or not though. Anyways, if you have any suggestions for part changes, I'm open to those too.  Any help/advice is appreciated.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone help me with my build? Need a gaming mobo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »

Currently looking into upgrading to a gaming computer, have everything except a mobo that works with the parts I have. I thought I had compatible parts, but in reality I'm just an idiot.
Here is the mobo I was looking at, and here is my build. I would like to keep it under $700, so no mobos over $110, please.  Also, the note for this build says:
Intended to be a well off, mid-range gaming computer. Low res screen for better FPS.
Also, the poor disc drive is because I don't really need one. Maybe for a Ubuntu/Windows disc, but that's it. Digital downloads (for games and whatnot) are where it's at.

I'm somewhat content on the specs, maybe an upgrade on the GPU, not sure if it's needed or not though. Anyways, if you have any suggestions for part changes, I'm open to those too.  Any help/advice is appreciated.
for starters that is the wrong mobo for that cpu, its for the APUs (different CPU slots)
i recommend this
5 bucks more but MSI's last longer for gaming apparatuses than Biostars.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »

for starters that is the wrong mobo for that cpu, its for the APUs (different CPU slots)
i recommend this
5 bucks more but MSI's last longer for gaming apparatuses than Biostars.
As I said before, I have no idea what I'm doing with mobos.  Updated the list w/ the mb and a different monitor.  I'm assuming now the case and cpu would work with the mobo?

Seems to be a lot of DOAs in the feedback o:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:16:13 pm by Toxicshadow »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »

This is actually remarkably similar to what I've been upgrading into...

Corsair 400R Carbide series - casing

Corsair TX650 - 650w power supply

Gigabyte GV-R685OC-1GD Graphics card with
AMD Radeon HD 6850 - GPU (This is pretty much the only thing I'm carrying over from my old PC, apart from the hard disk and cd drive)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - Motherboard

AMD FX 6300 - CPU (this is the exact same one you've got listed there, only mine is the "black edition", I have no clue what the difference is, but whatever it is it appears to be cosmetic)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:39:30 pm by Pnx »

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

This is actually remarkably similar to what I've been upgrading into...

Corsair 400R Carbide series - casing

Corsair TX650 - 650w power supply

Gigabyte GV-R685OC-1GD Graphics card with
AMD Radeon HD 6850 - GPU (This is pretty much the only thing I'm carrying over from my old PC, apart from the hard disk and cd drive)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - Motherboard

AMD FX 6300 - CPU (this is the exact same one you've got listed there, only mine is the "black edition", I have no clue what the difference is, but whatever it is it appears to be cosmetic)
Nice, any reason for a 650w? Or just personal preference?

Main reason I'm looking into upgrading is because I'm currently running on this. And it's terrible. Was a birthday gift some time ago, so I never said anything, but it's really bad. Monitor is too large, cpu/gpu is very weak.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:33:49 pm »

I would say I'm very happy with the current build I have, except that right now it's refusing to boot, and we're trying to troubleshoot why.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »

I would say I'm very happy with the current build I have, except that right now it's refusing to boot, and we're trying to troubleshoot why.
Dang o:  I'd love to help, but I wouldn't be of much use lol. Good luck to you though!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »

POST is failing i presume?
Check all cards and memory sticks.

DOAs always happens no matter what, its what you get with a lower qual boards, i would really recommend you getting your hands on a ASUS board but if you want go grab the biostar im not stopping you.

Now then the PSU, im not gonna lie the AMD chips eat craptons of power so graphic cards are limited. a 650w would ensure you easy upgrades in the future if you ever want to get a big graphics card/overclock also as a psu ages you lose the power potential so starting out high a psu can last for years.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:14:36 pm »

-snip- see post above
Yeah, I think I'll go w/ the MSi you mentioned. Assuming it fits w/o issue, it looks fine.  As for a different power supply, what about this? 650w and a bit cheaper than the other one. Only downgrade is the 80 Plus rating, which shouldn't be *that* much of an issue. It's not a server, so it won't be on 24/7 (Although with my habits, close hehe).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »

-snip- see post above
Yeah, I think I'll go w/ the MSi you mentioned. Assuming it fits w/o issue, it looks fine.  As for a different power supply, what about this? 650w and a bit cheaper than the other one. Only downgrade is the 80 Plus rating, which shouldn't be *that* much of an issue. It's not a server, so it won't be on 24/7 (Although with my habits, close hehe).
The 80plus just means its energy efficient at that level its a good one