Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Potential smith ruined by 1 sentence  (Read 4378 times)

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
Potential smith ruined by 1 sentence
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:14:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Read his likes. What should I do? He has broken 2 of most ancient dwarven ways already and I haven't embarked yet! One on hand he would make a good weapon smith but on the other hand he is a hippie humper elf lover and a catsplosion waiting to happen!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential smith ruined by 1 sentence
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »

Damn, now I owe a friend 5 bucks; I was sure it wasn't actually possible for dwarves to have a positive preference towards elves.

In terms of actual gameplay, the "likes elves" thing probably won't crop up, though the cat preference might, as you said, lead to a catsplosion. I suggest you do SCIENCE (and if you see fit !!SCIENCE!!) on ways to prevent cats from adopting dorfs.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »

Damn, now I owe a friend 5 bucks; I was sure it wasn't actually possible for dwarves to have a positive preference towards elves.

In terms of actual gameplay, the "likes elves" thing probably won't crop up, though the cat preference might, as you said, lead to a catsplosion. I suggest you do SCIENCE (and if you see fit !!SCIENCE!!) on ways to prevent cats from adopting dorfs.

Cat steaks and Magma baths for adopted cats?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »

I decided that he cannot be trusted with weapons or military service and sure as hell not gonna be any noble. If he is made mayor he will have a very drawn out unfortunate accident. It is not a risk I am willing to take! Maybe if he smells like dog all the time the cats wont go for him?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1339319/df_scripts/34.11r2/pref_adjust.lua right click save target as to your df hack scripts folder

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 01:48:59 pm »

Well yeah, that's because DF dwarfs aren't the foaming-at-the-mouth elf-haters bay12 mistakes them for eight days a week. All the elf hate is founded in the players, not in the game, and much of it is an anachronism carried over from older versions, when elves sent diplomats to talk down at you and impose logging limits.

A preference for cats can become a real problem, but catsplosions can be curbed by caging all kittens as soon as they're born, and leaving at most a single female to roam free.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »

It took a few months but both the kittens adopted that guy. I delegated him to butcher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »

That's a fine Dwarf if I may say so myself. I think it's unfair to judge him for liking Elves, in fact - I'd say in return for his smithing labours he should get a terrarium full of Elves in his own bedroom as a reward!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:13 pm »

Cat steaks and Magma baths for adopted cats?

You can't butcher pets normally, and killing them, particularly if there's a lot of them, is a great way to get the owner to tantrum.

Of course, as said above, caging kittens as soon as they're born and/or designating them to be butchered immediately after being born (just make sure to keep enough around to handle vermin) is, AFAIK, the best currently known method of handling cat populations.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »

You can't butcher pets normally, and killing them, particularly if there's a lot of them, is a great way to get the owner to tantrum.
Ive found that its actually possible to do that if they are war or hunting animals. At least it worked with cave dragons

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

Cats have the "aloof" attribute, and cant be trained, even if you stuck the tags on them. You have to make the cats stop being cats before they can be trained like that.

Sorry kids, no Egyptian temple cat guardians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

Cats have the "aloof" attribute, and cant be trained, even if you stuck the tags on them. You have to make the cats stop being cats before they can be trained like that.

BIG cats on the other hand...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 03:01:48 pm »

If Urist McCatsplosion has himself an accident, you can murder the adopted cats, as they will revert to being unowned (though I believe they keep their name). You should probably do that.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

BIG cats on the other hand...

Oh, now that is perfectly acceptable.  Giant Lions for the win! (requires a little poking of the giant creature modification raw though.)

If Urist McCatsplosion has himself an accident, you can murder the adopted cats, as they will revert to being unowned (though I believe they keep their name). You should probably do that.

Urist McCatlady can be successfully freed from her toxoplasmosis induced state of dementia by penning her little darlings inside the Schrodinger's Cat quantum deconstructor, then pulling the lever.  As long as there is no observer to the reaction that goes on inside (It's required for proper quantum superposition!), the kitty cat will be both alive and dead simultaneously, negating the dangers of any undesirable thoughts!

It's a miracle of modern dwarven engineering!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:11:00 pm by wierd »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »

But then you can't eat the kitty!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3