Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Polticically Correct Nursury Rhym... Media For Young Children! Write with me! :P  (Read 2528 times)

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I'm refuting the notion that something called edgy and yet so commonplace should be valued solely for its edginess.  If it's got additional value, whatever.

I'm keeping you company because you keep saying untrue things >_> <_<

What have I said that is untrue? I haven't actually "said" anything. I'm re-writing them in a PC world. I wanted to see if the PC Police would declare war on me or something. It appears they're only butt-hurt at this point, but I was hoping that they'd actually try to defend PC.

So far I've just been told that I'm "wrong", and *gasp* "boring". *cries, goes into coma*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

. . . Buddy, if you think I'm trying to hurt your feelings, then you ain't see nothing.  I'm just being honest.

As for wanting to see if the PC Police would declare war... why, that sounds like you were trying to troll.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't say anything about my feelings... Oh, and yeah, I think I said "at least you're honest" to you 2 times now. 3 now. Let's do this team tag team fist-face thing and make it 200 or something, eh?

What I did say is I wanted you to tell me what I said was *gasp* "wrong".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*gasp*
Knock that shit off.

Whoa, where'd you come from? XD

Are you here to tell me how wrong I am, and how I'm wrong for Vector while he isn't here? The sooner the better. (No, seriously, if you have something to say, say it, please.)

Trying to have a debate here (or say anything that has to do with politics or lifestyle or anything at all that has to do with them in any way) is almost like trying to dine with wolves.

Cool it, guys.   >.> <.<

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I'm here to tell you to stop with the gasping thing. It makes your posts unimaginably annoying to read.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Lurk more!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must say PatriotSaint that most of the people who post in these discussion threads are American-style "progressives"/liberals or generally left-leaning. You must become very robust if you wish to challenge them.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm here to tell you to stop with the gasping thing. It makes your posts unimaginably annoying to read.

So you're telling me that the only thing you wanted to mention was a gasp that happened 2 times in this thread?

Well, fair enough, but I'm still waiting for Vector to defend what he said.  :/

Feel free to lurk guys, and to mention all your pet peeves when they appear, like *gasps* and parodies of PC.  ::)

Think it's time another nursery rhyme.  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well, fair enough, but I'm still waiting for Vector to defend what he said.  :/

Feel free to lurk guys, and to mention all your pet peeves when they appear, like *gasps* and parodies of PC.  ::)

Think it's time another nursery rhyme.  :P
Well I'm not sure how many nursery rhymes it would take to recover from this mess, it seems that it's holding too much genuine hostility between posters for too little reason for it to produce anything of worth.

On a minor note, you double post where it's really not needed a lot. If you have more to say within a short time where a new post is not needed, just edit and add to your most recent post [providing of course no one has replied yet. Bay12 is slow enough that such a thing is not really into consideration].
That's just an etiquette thing, as it avoids flooding a thread with one user.

On a more major note, scriver's criticism was valid. Most of the people here in the lower boards are personalities on this forum, there is more to them than a name and an ideology. Quite a lot of people started on the upper boards and migrated to the lower boards over time, meaning that before they even started talking about political issues they were an established character with a lot of depth to them, whereas you have come across as a partisan made incarnate in digital form - and nothing more. You are not alone in this however, as some people do feel so strongly about their ideas that they identify with them. You are however, rather alone indeed in one particular aspect and that is the level of maturity detailed in your posts. It is sad to say, but they show a lack of understanding about the forum and language in general.
The thread was a novel idea which I think could have been a rather fun thing to do, though Kaijyuu is probably right in that it should have been on the FG section, but as the thread went on it just seemed increasingly more like you were not using humour for humour's sake or any other clever reason, but you were just using it to defend yourself. Generally, this is cheaper than your momma jokes and insults combined.
Worse still, you've been using it to defend yourself against non-existent attacks.
I don't see how you've managed to think you're being insulted by Vector, who is one of the kindest people on this forum to have, and I also think your sense of humour needs a bit more refining.
My opinion of how this thread could have been done well is that essentially in a parody, you take an established story and you change something in a way that is actually believable and work out how this changes the story, and use it to reflect on what it says of us and why it is funny. That is why humour is so valuable. But you've ironically embodied political correctness rather well in a rather un-PC way, in that instead of taking a story and interjecting with soul-crushing neutrality, you've just changed it to be edgy for as Vector herself said it, the sake of edginess. This is the most brain dead form of humour imaginable, and is something you'd really only expect to see from a poor imitation of South Park or new /b/.
When complaints and criticisms appear in a thread, most of the time you don't just ignore them or sarcastically chide them hoping it won't change the thread's atmosphere. You address them if they are founded in reason and then the thread continues unabated.
It really is sound advice to lurk more, or at the very least just relax on the political proselytizing.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Genuine hostility? Perceived, then.

(not necessarily in any order, just some "stuff")

1. I never said I was "offended", sorry if I made it sound that way.

2. I mean what I say. If I say that it's fair enough than as far as I'm concerned it is.

3. I did not perceive anything here as an attack. I do not see anything I said as an attack either.

4. I don't feel the need to defend anything I say, but if someone wants me to, I will. When someone says that I keep saying "wrong" stuff, I want to know what stuff I'm saying that is "wrong".

5. Edgy, huh? In a few years, I doubt it still will be.

6. I'm glad to take criticism, and I'm glad you actually took the time to flesh it out. It's a lot better than having being wrong and boring as a point...

7. I can make changes. I guess someone as new as me would be an "intruder" of sorts.

8. I always could have. I'm glad you posted because now I actually know where you're coming from.

9. If this is about misunderstandings and a lack of understanding, which at this point I can see it is, then I'm glad to react to it and change according.

It really is relieving. I'm glad someone took the time to say what the problem was, and then actually explain it after.

But when I see a post that perhaps warrants a civilized debate/discussion, it doesn't help that after that, more rather ambiguous posts follow.

Do you want something to change, or do you want me to talk to you about why you're even here?

Now I know.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't see how you've managed to think you're being insulted by Vector, who is one of the kindest people on this forum to have, and I also think your sense of humour needs a bit more refining.

Thank you.

PatriotSaint, here is why I say that you've been saying incorrect things.  You make vast extrapolations and assumptions of my point of view from very little evidence, which inevitably makes me come off far more belligerent than I really am.  Here is a prime example:

And for calling me a hate-filled racist person who dares talk about what is "taboo", therefore making me "boring".

Because of these assumptions you're making, it's really hard to get along with you.  We can't make any progress because I can't make a single statement without having to clarify it down about five times, so the effort to communicate is a bit too much--I thought this incorrectness was clear, given the many clarifications that have been necessary from my part.  I have no idea who you are outside of a couple of political statements, and it's clear that you've got no idea who I am (for example: I am not a guy); but what we've established so far in my understanding is that the cost of communication with you is very high, and that your sense of humor isn't exactly novel.

No, in a few years no one will consider this sort of humor edgy or taboo, because we will have come to understand that it's never been edgy or taboo.  Did you never read "Politically Correct Fairy Tales?"  It was available when I was in early elementary school, as well as its sequels.  Yah've been righteously scooped, m'boy!  How can you be edgy about something that's already been published in the form of a coffee-table book and circulated as a gag gift for years?  There's a publishing industry that's already profited mightily from your "new," "taboo," and "edgy" notions--that's right, they've been co-opted by the establishment to the point where the profit cycle is over, and I don't know of anything less edgy than that.  Unless you're trying to be retro, in which case I'd say that there's faaaar more politically incorrect and taboo things to be retro about, should you want them.

It's not about your tripping upon some smiling enclave and being an outsider.  It's about basic human functionality--there's a bunch of people milling around, a lot of conversations going on that you can join, and your first topic is "let me tell you about how capitalism is amazing in a few short posts."  Like, the equivalent, to me, is that you've put on a sandwich board and started bickering in bursts of information that are, well, appropriate to a sandwich board.  You joined a well-established conversation, the Progressive Thread, where the level was "authorial tract" with a sandwich board, and then you start your own conversation with the suggestion that everyone should enjoy your edgy sandwich board... and then when you don't, you imply that we're close-minded folk looking only for further confirmation of our own opinions, and severely misrepresent what we do say to you.

It's not that we can't handle debate.  It's that we're looking for something different from what you have on offer at the moment.  A number of conservatives have, after becoming more "robust" as Owlbread suggested, downright thrived here--for example, Nikov repeatedly gained my grudging respect.  But this level of discourse has been here so many times, always with the hurried explanation that it's edgy and taboo and we who dislike it are stuffy, sensitive, and cold.  That is why I am hastening to explain that no, I'm not offended.  I'm simply bored.  If you want to make a name for yourself then you need to act like a person, not an easily confused political-incorrectness bot--just like in the real world.

So take that sandwich board off, pull up a chair, and let's get to know each other.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

1. Well you apologized at least, so there's grounds to move on.
2. If you mean what you say make what you say worthwhile. I'm not quite sure what you mean there, but you did sound like you were exaggerating and being sarcastic quite a fair bit.
3. I think on this one it'd be better to defer your judgement to the people here who weren't attacking you in that you were getting defensive and overreacting. You're also making the mistake of treating Bay12 as a singular entity rather than a collection of individuals
I thought the people on this forum were not only open to debate and discussion, but debate and discussion even with those they don't agree with.
There was a time where it was a valid criticism that Bay12 had become a hugbox... This is no longer the case. Really it's just a matter of you being less than civil or sincere in your dealings.
4. That's called having a need to defend what you say!
Generally, you shouldn't have to defend yourself. Bay12 is a nice enough community and you shouldn't treat what's not an attack as an attack. If you feel like you have been attacked, there is a report button. If it's just a criticism, respond. And unless you must, don't spend a disproportional amount of time derailing a thread just to respond to one sentence.
5. Maybe. And there it also shows that the quality of some of the jokes in this thread to be quite ephemeral, in that they won't age well at all because they are innately not funny.
6. Civility and sincerity, hand in hand. No problem on my part, because you do seem like you are trying hard too and I don't think it'd take much to change for the better.
7. There is no "us and them" kind of thing in this forum, [unless there is a penguin revolution, but that is a whimsical exception]. I suppose your new status is a factor, but it isn't just because you're knew that you're being criticized. New members I often find are under higher scrutiny, and first impressions are establishing moments. You've had a shaky start.
8. Again, no problem, you do seem like you are trying.
9. I guess I'd suggest keeping this thread alive for as long as it is, but once it dies lock it and start a new thread in FG&RP if you really want to continue it anew, with a fresh start. You could even copy & paste the poems here to there so it'd have a better start to expand on.

*META EDIT
It be my pleasure ninja

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a time where it was a valid criticism that Bay12 had become a hugbox

Yeah, that's true.  I think the forum was closer-knit at that time, which was pleasant, but it was somewhat less-pleasant that we had those semi-frequent circlejerk threads ("B12 is the best forum evar!") and constant attempts to make more "emotion" threads.  And a truly disturbing amount of shitposting.  We've got the pyramid reposts and the derails, but things aren't anything like what they were.

In our current incarnation I feel that we're lacking the, well, megaproject mentality we had back then, but it's much easier to become part of the group and we don't have regular kerfluffles, so that's cool.

Pages: 1 2 [3]