Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armless Urist McMacedwarf  (Read 761 times)

Ronnock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Armless Urist McMacedwarf
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »

So I've got some veterans in my army, and one of them, a skilled macedwarf by the name of Logem Kansolon lost an arm to a goblin axelord in the last  siege. Did not see a medic. It's been about a year since then, and he's still waddling around the training room, actively practicing. He has no medical history, so he's never even seen a doc about this, and he's got a flashing yellow plus sign on him at all times. Any way to make him see a doctor to make the *wounded* notice go away? Because clearly, Logem's attitude is  "Tis but a scratch" and the game's attitude is  "No it's not, your arm's off!"

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armless Urist McMacedwarf
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »

if you have a hospital and can give him another injury, say a 2 floor drop maybe, then I think that should get the doctors to take care of everything.
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Ronnock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:35 am »

Update:

Logem is apparently the only dwarf worth anything in my militia, even with only one arm.
Ambushing goblins came out, not too many, too much work to call everyone inside and let them eat the goats, so I sent my dwarves out after them. 4 dead. idiots hadn't put on their helmets still. Logem comes out, facing 4 goblin pikes and whips, and single handedly bashes all their skulls in with only a bruised leg to show for it. The rest run away. I'm prioritizing his armor from now on, and renaming him "Stumpy, the meanest right hook in the Realm"

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:49:41 am »

I've had a couple of dwarves like Logem. They lose a hand, but since it's only yellow flashing - minor injury - they won't always go to the hospital. Maybe because they would be too badass as fully healed, so they decide to give goblins some change againts them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:03:51 am »

It's possible it healed on it's own. No bleeding anymore, no open wound, no need to see a doctor. "The arm is gone." "I can see that. Anything you can do?" "Nope, it's gone." "Ok, thanks, I'll go back to training"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:01:50 am »

Is there any damage listed in his thoughts/status other than 'arm gone'? I'm also of the mind that the absent limb being removed took all of the potentially healable wounds with it. After that, blood loss would have been the only deadly factor besides infection and he's not apparently suffering either of those.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:24 am »

Any way to make him see a doctor to make the *wounded* notice go away?
That's not how it works. Going to see the doctor takes away the 'requires diagnosis' note in the health screen (though it may return between treatments). The red / yellow crosses are independent of the healthcare system, and will last as long as the underlying condition does.

Dwarves do not see a doctor about severed limbs because there's nothing to see and nothing to do. For the purposes of the medical system, the torso wound made by the loss of a whole arm simply doesn't exist. For the purposes of the bleeding system, it does, but dwarves don't go to the hospital just for being Faint or Pale.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:55 pm »

Yeah I had a similar problem but it was far more severe than a lost arm. What should be fatal wounds all over the body and not able to stand. I submitted a bug report but nothing yet. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6344

If he was skilled enough and unable to actively fight anymore you could just make him a champion. Pretty sure those guys train the active military from time to time.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »

Yeah I had a similar problem but it was far more severe than a lost arm. What should be fatal wounds all over the body and not able to stand. I submitted a bug report but nothing yet. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6344

I'm not sure what's supposed to be bugged there. It's a dwarf without treatable wounds, so she won't rest and go to the hospital (hurt fingers are generally not treatable and everything else has scarred over). She can't stand, that's why she's flashing the 'invalid' sign (the red cross; it's _not_ a 'got hurt recently' or 'needs treatment' sign). Since she's not resting, there's no reason for her to abstain from alcohol, either.

Oh, and 'she absolutely detests leeches'. No wonder she refused going to the hospital when she got wounded ;)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »

it's also something else. She just can't stand anymore. As long as they are not unconcious, dwarfs generally have to make their own way to the hospital. Not being able to walk, while still in heavy armor, might have slowed her crawling down to a snails pace
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »

I'm not sure what's supposed to be bugged there. It's a dwarf without treatable wounds, so she won't rest and go to the hospital (hurt fingers are generally not treatable and everything else has scarred over). She can't stand, that's why she's flashing the 'invalid' sign (the red cross; it's _not_ a 'got hurt recently' or 'needs treatment' sign). Since she's not resting, there's no reason for her to abstain from alcohol, either.

Oh, and 'she absolutely detests leeches'. No wonder she refused going to the hospital when she got wounded ;)
Many of her wounds were treatable. She just never got them treated so she now has massive scars everywhere. If you are right then that one smashed open finger prevented the rest from being treated. Although I have had smashed open fingers either be treated or heal on their own before so I'm not sure why this one is being a dick about healing.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 03:50:03 pm »

it's also something else. She just can't stand anymore. As long as they are not unconcious, dwarfs generally have to make their own way to the hospital. Not being able to walk, while still in heavy armor, might have slowed her crawling down to a snails pace
She passed out :P no one went to get her since the hospital wasn't built yet. When it was built she didn't go there. And since she was never treated she never got a crutch. And she was only in leather armor so that wasn't the cause of snail pace. And this happened a very long time ago in game so either way she should have made it to the hospital by then.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:58:47 pm »

Many of her wounds were treatable. She just never got them treated so she now has massive scars everywhere.

If i understood this right, she was wounded before the hospital was built. And since apparently all wounds were of the skin/fat/muscle variety, they didn't absolutely need treatment to heal - time would achieve the same, if with heavy scarring. Once such a wound is shut, it's no longer treatable and dwarfs may actually cancel their Rest job while in the hospital and walk away when this happens. Broken fingers (not cut skin/muscles in the fingers) are another matter, afaik broken bones don't heal by themselves but dwarven healthcare seems unable to properly locate and treat finger bones. Broken fingers don't prevent proper healthcare to _treatable_ wounds, however.

The lack of any medical history also means she never properly went to Rest, got 'brought to bed' or had her wounds diagnosed, which makes determining her actual health status close to impossible right now. She has wounds displayed in both legs and in the lower body, as well as mentions of 'motor nerve damage'. Chances are pretty good she doesn't need a crutch because she suffered motor nerve damage to _both_ legs and is permanently unable to stand (i'm not sure, but i think dwarfs who actually can stand with a crutch will normally get themselves to a hospital because this _is_ a 'treatment' that's bound to help them).

If there is a bug, then it's not that she's not seeking treatment _now_, it's that she hasn't sought treatment previously. That and that broken fingers are (mostly?) ignored by the healthcare system.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »

If there is a bug, then it's not that she's not seeking treatment _now_, it's that she hasn't sought treatment previously. That and that broken fingers are (mostly?) ignored by the healthcare system.
Yep. I reported it as she never sought healthcare. I threw up a hospital almost immediately(jury rigged it from the old dorm) so those wounds didn't have time to heal yet. Enter bug.