Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190960 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »

Extension granted until Noon on Friday GMT -8.  Updates in a couple of minutes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »

Toaster:
Griffinpup:  What is your goal in RVS?
To gain an understanding of the other players playing.
Jim:
Princess griffinpup, how likely are you to freak out under pressure?
I don't really freak out under pressure ever, so...

Leafsnail:
What is your scumhunting process?
NQT:
What's better, quality or quantity?
Lenglon:
You're one of the most active and most RPing players here, so two questions for you.

How do you deal with your posting speed being substantially higher then several players and what problems does that create?

Why do you RP so much, despite getting flak for it in, oh, just about every single game you've RP'd in?

Otto:
Do you like goldfish? (lolololololol)

NQT:
What is the most reliable scumtell?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »

Toaster:
Griffinpup:  What is your goal in RVS?
To gain an understanding of the other players playing.
What do you understand about players so far?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:11 pm »

"Heh, I suppose my energy is somewhat noteworthy. I admit, being as active as I often am does cause some problems. I always have to watch myself and work extra hard to remember what people have said to me and when. It's quite easy for me to mix it up because with so much going on and so much to do, it all tends to blur into one vague, disorderly mishmash. I actually keep a small notepad on my person just to keep track of who said what when, but I still don't remember to use it as often as I should. Still, that isn't the biggest problem it causes, because since I'm moving from place to place and conversation to conversation so much, people often seem to think I'm being flighty and not really paying attention to them. I don't mean to offend them, and I really do pay close attention, but it still seems that way to those who arn't watching very closely, and I'm afraid I snub them by accident as a result. Still, I'm doing what I can to keep myself organized, and I hope that others will extend me the same grace in return that I try to extend to them. As for why I'm willing to engage in seemly frivolous conversations? It's because there's actually a lot of meaning to them. the way people act while relaxed and having fun is often just as meaningful and telling as how they act when scared or worried. It also is more comfortable to me, I feel safer and happier when the others around me seem to be enjoying themselves. It always feels so angry and oppressive whenever people are being dead-serious all the time. I like to have fun, to enjoy myself, to try to live, rather than be all cold and calculating tactics. It's one reason I've started handing out pamphlets to my presentations. I want the cold and calculating people to be able to get their clear and concise information dump while still getting to relax and have fun explaining things myself."

Lenglon:
You're one of the most active and most RPing players here, so two questions for you.

How do you deal with your posting speed being substantially higher then several players and what problems does that create?
Pup: I usually have to pay extra attention to timestamps because of my posting speed, because I'll sometimes ask someone something and have 4 or 5 other posts between my question and their answer, and they won't have actually been unreasonable in how quickly they respond, but it'll feel that way if I don't check the timestamps during my reviews. the biggest problem it creates is one of perceptions. I'm prone to looking like I'm active-lurking because I'll post 5 low-content posts instead of one high-content post.
Why do you RP so much, despite getting flak for it in, oh, just about every single game you've RP'd in?
Pup: because it's fun, also, it's an extra communication channel that allows more depth of emotion and reasoning than straight text alone, particularly when someone RPs back in response.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:32 am »

Hmm... I think there might have been a misunderstanding when it came to 'emerge'. Scumminess is an emergent property that arises out of scum posts. Obviously, I think we should be pressuring players and asking questions to draw out scummy behaviour, which you're doing an admirable job of so far.
This doesn't seem to be sarcasm, which is odd because I been focused on you and unless you are scum...

You're absolutely correct that I should have more actively followed up on the fact that you didn't precisely answer the question I thought I was asking you. Really, I was asking you what your wincon was but my question was ambiguous. After implying that you didn't answer the question I thought I was asking you, I expected you to get back to me on that point, which you now have. Nevertheless, you are correct in that I should have pursued that enquiry more directly.

To follow up, what is your wincon? (Note: I'm not asking about any role or flavour details, I just want to know what you literally aim to achieve in this game.)
Get back to you in what fashion?  If you meant for me to try again to answer your question again why did you not bring this up when you next talked to me here?  Possibly you should have pursued that inquiry at all.

I win when the love of my life is safe from undesirable suitors.  On that note: if you're not asking for role or flavour details what is the point of the question at all?  Are you claiming a truth-telling ability or just into asking pointless questions?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2013, 02:51:38 am »

Princess Leafsnail
All three of these votes make no sense at all, notquitethere.  You go from thinking a line of reasoning is a joke, to thinking it's weak to the point of being scummy, to thinking it's a damning case.

Firstly, all three of these positions seem dumb to me.  Jim's vote was pretty clearly serious, but not a locked in lynch vote, so your first two positions were weird (especially because you've since acknowledged a middle ground between the two types of votes exists).  I also don't see much strength at all to Jim's case, so it seems odd that you'd switch to emphatically supporting it afterwards.

Secondly, I don't think you'd allow yourself to be smacked around this easily as town - I usually find you pretty stubborn and set in your reads.  I suspect you voted Jim in a panic, then regretted it reverted your vote back to Cado after you calmed down again.
It's a fair position, but you'll also see that I'll move my votes around a lot as town early day 1 (see the latest BM where as the cop I voted nearly half the other players on day 1). I like to try to interact with as many players as possible to get the broadest possible read until someone particularly scummy comes out. My focus though has been a bit off so I'll readily admit that I haven't been as effective yet as I ought to be. To explain my recent behaviour: I genuinely thought that Cado's reaction was  a strange reaction to what I took to just be a dumb RVS vote, but then Jim explained how he was serious which I thought completely unjusifiable, but then I had another look at Cado's initial response and the concern with being tracked didn't seem quite right so I turned back to Cado. I have admittedly been a bit too free with throwing around the vote, but at the same time, I do think it adds a necessary degree of pressure to the questioning.

To summarise: I don't emphatically support Jim's case, but I do believe in using my vote to get answers and changing my mind when new evidence comes to light. This might make me look inconstant, but I think this is better than maintaining an unsupportable vote (which I have seen stubborn town players do in the past).

Princesss Cado
NQT: Your vote is adding pressure because you wish for more information rather than going for a Lynch vote like Jim so i'll ask you this. In the other games you've played with me, how does my behaviour in those compare to now? And who else besides me seems scummy to you?
To be honest Cado, I think we're mostly fumbling around in the dark on Day 1, I really hit my scumhunting stride on day 2 when I can go over interactions in light of the flip. You're explanation about paranoia fits with what I've seen of your playstyle elsewhere. What will you do this game to stop yourself being lynched?

Princess Griffinpup
The quality/quantity dichotomy is a bit misleading. The quantity of a post is one of its qualities. No one thinks that vast or frequent mostly-contentless posts are a good thing. Do you think this question has got you any closer to finding scum? Do you think random questions are appropriate near the end of Day 1 or was there nothing that has actually happened in the game to comment on?

Princess Okami
I'd almost forgotten you were playing. Do you have a compelling case on anyone yet?

Princess Griffionday
Hmm... I think there might have been a misunderstanding when it came to 'emerge'. Scumminess is an emergent property that arises out of scum posts. Obviously, I think we should be pressuring players and asking questions to draw out scummy behaviour, which you're doing an admirable job of so far.
This doesn't seem to be sarcasm, which is odd because I been focused on you and unless you are scum...
Hah, I can see that reading of things! No, I meant that you'd been doing an admirable job of pressuring. Obviously, if the player isn't scum you won't draw anything of use out of someone. Have you interacted with everyone else yet?

Get back to you in what fashion?  If you meant for me to try again to answer your question again why did you not bring this up when you next talked to me here?  Possibly you should have pursued that inquiry at all.
I'm not sure where your misunderstanding here lies. I asked you an ambiguous question, you answered the question one way, I implied you'd not answered the way I'd intended you to answer, you asked me why I didn't ask me the question again, then I asked the question again freely admitting that I should have reasked it sooner. I didn't reask it sooner because my focus on the game was not sufficiently strong. This isn't a scum-tell, it's just me being distracted. Now I'm more on the ball, I'm determined not to let things get to Great Temple levels where I was town but utterly ineffectual.

I win when the love of my life is safe from undesirable suitors.  On that note: if you're not asking for role or flavour details what is the point of the question at all?  Are you claiming a truth-telling ability or just into asking pointless questions?
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:37 am »

PFP rereading
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.
Hey, let's stop using other active games to support any case at hand, can we? This thoroughly annoys me in how you carry the same outlook and use it to convince others here.

WHEN THE GAME ISN'T FINISHED. >__>

I've noted you really love doing this type of thing, NQT. Relating to vagueness and uncertain points.

Consider this query. Why are you fond of doing that?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:16:16 am by Tiruin »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:16 am »

« Last Edit: Today at 10:16:16 am by Tiruin »
...So changing the icon next to the title on the post thing denotes an edit.

Consider me pouting at that.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:38 pm »

Please don't do that again.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:21 pm »

Agh, sorry. Wrong thread.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:27 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:15 pm »

Tiruin
Hey, let's stop using other active games to support any case at hand, can we? This thoroughly annoys me in how you carry the same outlook and use it to convince others here.

WHEN THE GAME ISN'T FINISHED. >__>

I've noted you really love doing this type of thing, NQT. Relating to vagueness and uncertain points.

Consider this query. Why are you fond of doing that?
I like to back up my mafia-related points with reference to concrete events that I've experienced in other games. It helps show that I'm not just making things up and that my scum-hunting technique has developed in light of actual play-experience. I don't think referring neutrally to something that anyone can read for themselves is against any rules. Nevertheless, I see that you might think this may prejudice you in the other game, so this is the last I'll say on that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »

Yes, that is quite against the rules of the Mafia subforum.  Do not discuss ongoing games.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »

I knew that but I didn't think mentioning something that objectively just happened in another game counted as discussing, but I take the point on board and I won't do it again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:19 pm »

Web:
I actually only asked it because I didn't know if it mattered. I wanted to know if we were wearing different types of dresses or something. Because honestly, I wasn't sure what I was wearing, and it made me a little uncomfortable.

Fair enough.

NQT:
Princess Cado
Princess Groovester
Princess Cado

This is quite the flip flop.  Considering your vote is currently on Cado, what's your opinion on Jim's scummitude?

It's a fair position, but you'll also see that I'll move my votes around a lot as town early day 1 (see the latest BM where as the cop I voted nearly half the other players on day 1). I like to try to interact with as many players as possible to get the broadest possible read until someone particularly scummy comes out.

Appealing to meta is never a valid defense.

Cado:
NQT: Your vote is adding pressure because you wish for more information rather than going for a Lynch vote like Jim so i'll ask you this. In the other games you've played with me, how does my behaviour in those compare to now? And who else besides me seems scummy to you?

Appealing to meta is never a valid defense.

Ottofar:
What reactions?  How would they help?  I'm pretty sure you were going for an under-the-radar strategy.

Any reactions and all reactions. They could help find the scum. Also, you would be wrong, then.

Then maybe you should try to convince people otherwise.

Griffinpup:
Otto:
Do you like goldfish? (lolololololol)

I almost let your rather late set of RVS questions slide until I hit this one.

Don't you think it is rather late for RVS?  Do you truly see nothing else in this game that is worthy of mention by you?

Spoiler: Extremely OOC to FFS (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70