Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Conservative Logic  (Read 2608 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conservative Logic
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:13:01 pm »

Elite Security: Mister CEO, would you like some guards for your safe room?
CEO: Oh no, I'll just stay in the same unguarded study that the other 8 CEOs were all killed in. Also, instead of buying cheap body armor just to stop a knife, I'll just wear this unarmored but still very expensive suit.

My soldier has snuck past the guards and killed the CEO and gotten out unharmed 11 times.

EDIT: Where the hell do they even get all their CEOs?!?!
EDIT 2: http://th64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/Random_Villian/Tumblrrr/th_tumblr_lebsb5U6dB1qcubjz.gif
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:42:49 pm by TinFoilTopHat »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Conservative Logic
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:49:01 pm »

EDIT: Where the hell do they even get all their CEOs?!?!

CEOs are not born, but made. They are a renewable resource.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:23 am »

They are a renewable resource.
Really? That sounds suspiciously Liberal for a CEO. I would have expected the ritual sacrifice of a dozen impoverished single mothers.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:28 am »

Impoverished single mothers are also renewable.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:25:13 am »

Do you seriously think the average Conservative CEO would be intelligent enough to properly protect himself?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

Impoverished single mothers are also renewable.
Thus accidentally making the CEOs a renewable resource. But the dumb Conservatives will never figure this out.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Feature proposal: when the LCS becomes successful (and commits enough violence), important conservative targets (such as the President and CEOs) and locations start protecting themselves harder.

After all, there's no reason for a CEO to use bodyguards and armor all the time, but when there's a powerful force that doesn't hesitate to remove Conservatives by direct means, it'd have sense to do so.

For example: the LCS commits enough violent crimes. All important buildings in the area (banks, police stations/court houses, media, power plants, intel offices, corp buildings, CEO houses, army bases, prisons...) become a bit better secured (somewhere between 0 and High Security), even those which weren't raided. The CEO hires some body guards, the rooms with important data/objects become constantly guarded, probably some buildings temporarily gaining a metal detector* -- stuff like that.

*I understand that this may be quite difficult to implement in code.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

I never understood this, the news speak of a Conservative hating group on the loose that doesn't give a crap of anyone's safety and the CEO's trust their lives in their obviously trusty guard dogs, faithful servants and badass guards. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:32 pm »

One would think that the tenth or so CEO would realize he only got the job because the LCS killed his predecessors, and upgrade security accordingly.

By the twentieth, the true CEO residence should be hidden from public knowledge, requiring the "enlightening" of a middle management stooge to find out the location.  Just my two cents.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »

If it wasn't obvious that was sarcasm in my above post. 

shibby1295

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:27 am »

This logic applies to more than the CEO. Generalizing the idea here would lead to a level of 'fear' surrounding all conservative establishments. The higher the 'fear' level for a place, the better secured it is... but the added security means added costs, and eventually that place might be permanently shut down.

Example: Thinking in terms of what should happen in the world, and leaving aside how to implement it in the game, if the LCS consistently raids animal-testing labs, then animal-testing labs should begin to have higher and higher security... but they should also get rarer as companies seek cheaper and safer alternatives. If the LCS can continue penetrating even the best-defended sites, it will eventually just not be worth it for any company to test on animals. (Though, at least in this case, they could just move it overseas...)

Tracking the 'fear' at each site is fairly straightforward, but representing the beneficial, deterring aspect of the fear would require some innovation in victory conditions or scorekeeping.

Even if 'fear' is only rewarded in (some) players' minds, though, it could help with realism and difficulty curve. A feature to consider for the future?

Also, I second EuchreJack's idea of hiding the location. Though if anyone can think of one, I'd like a bigger challenge than enlightening a middle manager. (Or maybe enlightening a successful exec should just be harder?)

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:11 am »

I like the idea of increasing conservative paranoia as the LCS becomes more successful, having sleeper security personnel in those locations should somewhat counter it though. It's not so much that sleepers magically make the conservatives less concerned with security, but more that they would be doing an intentionally poor job and leaving gaps open for the LCS to exploit.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:50:48 am »

continue penetrating even the best-defended sites

giggity

nephilimnexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »

Well the CEOs are not entirely stupid.  At the first sign of trouble they bolt for their safe-room, so if you're planning on assassinating one then that's exactly what you'll have to do, because going in guns blazing will only leave a pile of guards waiting for you instead.

In other words: Send in Agent47, not Rambo.   ;D

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 04:39:24 pm »

In defense of the Corporate CEOs, they DO know quite a bit about how to run a business, and have the high Business skill to do it. As for security, that's not their specialty. And every business cuts corners to increase its profit margins. The only way they could GET that wealthy is by cutting corners and doing things on the cheap. If they spent loads of money on security, CEOs would have much less money for drunken cocaine-fueled orgies with prostitutes. And the Elite Security types they employ are like Blackwater... privately owned armies, basically, with military training that was funded by taxpayer dollars, prior to their early retirement from the military.

Anyway, look at it like this. A bunch of Roman emperors all got assassinated in ancient Rome. So what did the next guy who became emperor after that do to protect himself? Well, whatever it was, it didn't work, since he got assassinated TOO. And that just happened again and again and again, and it took forever for the Roman Empire to develop proper security, since it was almost impossible to get all the security guards to actually be loyal to whoever the current emperor was, and not be susceptible to bribes and such from ambitious people seeking to become the next emperor. (I am traveling overseas and I'm in Rome, Italy right now.) And in modern times, we've had, what, like 4 U.S. Presidents who got assassinated throughout American history? Even though they have better security than anyone else in the country. Corporate CEOs don't have security remotely as good as U.S. Presidents, in the real world. The REAL thing that keeps Corporate CEOs relatively safe is that there are so many CEOs of major corporations that killing just 1 of them wouldn't have much of an impact on the corporate system, and they basically have strength in numbers. That is something the U.S. President doesn't have, since there is only 1 U.S. President at a time, making whoever has that job a much bigger target than any run-of-the-mill CEO. I mean, I have seen Stephen Colbert and billionaire CEO Richard Branson physically fight each other by throwing water in each other's faces on TV. I doubt Richard Branson has any real security with him when he's on the Colbert Report... if Stephen Colbert wanted to, he could probably have any guest on his show that he doesn't like EXECUTED... even famous and wealthy guests. Luckily for the rich and famous, most talk show hosts are not assassins. Except for Conan. He's a barbarian... before becoming a talk show host, he went around raping and pillaging. You can tell he's a Viking because he has the red hair, which strikes fear into the hearts of the Vikings' enemies.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL
Pages: [1] 2