Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The Grimoire of MAGIC SCIENCE  (Read 7711 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Grimoire of MAGIC SCIENCE
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 09:11:37 am »

Hm...the best would probably be the Tower, especially since we spent this money on combat gear and really don't want to get lost. And we don't have any tools to let us break off crystals from the Maze yet.

The Tower.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 10:07:44 am »

Hmmm. Get some string, paper and writing equipment, a compass, and let's do the maze.
Oh, yeah, and I guess a hammer and chisel. And some pouches for crystals, powders and such, if we don't have them already.

Hm...the best would probably be the Tower, especially since we spent this money on combat gear and really don't want to get lost. And we don't have any tools to let us break off crystals from the Maze yet.

The Tower.

We don't have close combat gear, as far as we know we have no combat expertise, and a single crossbow isn't going to be enough to hold off groups of goblinoids, especially since they speed up when they get close too.

Oh, we should check if there are any groups doing a dungeon run or the like.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:11:04 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 10:12:58 am »

Alright, you've convinced me. Get crystal-gathering gear, and go to the Maze.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 12:51:43 pm »

We have a hammer, and a way to manipulate it from far away.  What more do we need?

Seriously though, you can use a magic glove to fight people 5 to 10 feet away with little to no danger to ourselves.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 01:49:35 pm »

My, my what interesting little ventures you mortals devise. Ido believe that I'll need to keep an eye on this, yesssssssss, yes I will.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »

I agree with Harbringerjm - the maze sounds better suited for our current skills. Also, we can always abandon a puzzle or what we might find there, absconding a fight against several opponents is another story. Just let us hope there are no portal-traps or similiar. Or that this sentence gave dragnar the idea for them..  :P

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 12:51:31 pm »

The trip to The Maze, as well as the purchase of some last minute supplies to make sure I don't get lost, is uneventful enough. Then again, I don't know why it wouldn't be, this close to town. The entry is all of 30 miles away, if that. Anyway, I also made sure to pick up a few tools from my lab to break off any interesting crystals I can find. Now, all that remains is to step through the arch and-

########
#      #
#      #
# @    ####
#             
#############
Health: Good   Mana: Minimal   Inventory weight: 5/15   Armor: Mundane(Light)

I hate dimensional shifts.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »

Commence mapping, assuming we aren't already. Investigate different coloured walls.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:42 pm »

Do we have a way to sense magic? If not we will just need to take a small sample of all the the crystal types.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 12:43:27 am »

I see four colours. There are four elements. Therefore, we should take a sample of each of the coloured crystals.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:21 am »

Try to throw something from a distance to slightly chip one first. If they contain elemental powers, then those elemental powers might be uncontained right in our face.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 07:04:57 am »

Try to throw Mage Hand something from a distance to slightly chip one first. If they contain elemental powers, then those elemental powers might be uncontained right in our face.
I see four colours. There are four elements. Therefore, we should take a sample of each of the coloured crystals.
Sounds like a plan.
Sig

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »

After a bit of thought, I manage to chip off some pieces of the crystaline structures lining the walls of this place. It's... Probably a good thing I did so from a distance, as the first one (the red crystal, to be exact) practically detonated at the first touch. The others didn't react half as poorly, but it doesn't take special instruments to tell the shards I've gathered up here are rather lower quality than the ones back home. Maybe some sort of special tools are needed to keep the majority of the energy within contained? Well, low quality or not, they still should be useful. Time to go a bit deeper into this place... Ah, and I'll be gathering up any more crystals like these four as I go from now on. Well, apart from the fire(I assume) ones.

########
#      #    ########
#      #    #      # # #
#      ######   _  ### #
#            @         #
################ ##### #
Health: Good   Mana: Minimal   Inventory weight: 5/15   Armor: Mundane(Light)

Looks like there's only two things of note in this room: First, the path branches three different ways. I suppose it would have been a bit too much to ask that any place called 'the maze' be straightforward. Secondly, and much more importantly, it looks like the dungeon's been generous: There's a magic circle of some sort inscribed in the middle of the room, active and glowing a soft blue. Hard to say what it does without a (possibly dangerous) closer look though.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »

Damn, we should have gotten a mirror. And maybe a couple of guinea pigs or something.
Move something over near the circle with mage-hand, see if it reacts? If it doesn't, we should be ok to approach, taking care not to get inside.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:15 pm »

Seconding the plan with the rocks, with the addition that before doing so we should inspect the circle to make sure it is not made of easily-broken chalk lines of cut-rate doom containment, and when starting we should try and throw a rock over it rather than actively magically holding the rock there.

For future reference (because we certainly don't have the power/resources now), could we theoretically use time magic to get a preview the potential future of us stepping into the circle?
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9