Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elements 3: [Locked]  (Read 4865 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Elements 3: [Locked]
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:13:01 pm »

In the beginning there was silence. A great void existed where sight and sound had no meaning. There was a great nothingness within this Void. Unknowable and unchanging the void existed for untold time. The unchanging void unwittingly gave birth to the first of the elements: Order.

Where before the Void simply existed Order sought to bring it under control. To better organize Order created time. Time was the measure through which to Void was learned and once learned categorized. However with the creation of time there began a disparity. Time began to get away from Order and in its haste to bring time back under control Order let vast portions of the universe slip from its notice.

These portions of the universe did not return to the Void however. Instead, despite the Void’s best efforts, they turned to something new. Chaos was introduced to the Void. Chaos sought another purpose. Change. It grew tired of the stagnation brought about by Order’s tyrannical reign and sought to create and destroy as it saw fit. However with only time as its plaything it sat about masking time’s passage from Order. Thus time once again escaped Order’s notice. This grew Chaos’ powers to be on par with Orders and soon portions of the Void began to morph and change. Instead of vast nothingness there was a matter. Air soon began to flood the universe.

Air sought to spread itself as far as it could and with no regard for the rules of Order. Order found that it could not bring the free-shifting element into its own control and thus created a prison for the new element named Earth.

Earth sought only to stay as it had been before. It did not seek to change itself or others. It merely existed. However Earth was very large and very dense and thus brought Air to itself. Soon the area around Earth was filled with Air. Air believed that it had fulfilled its purpose as it could grow no more. Thus instead of simply spreading Air, growing restless, began to move.

As Air shifted and tumbled Earth grew worried. Though at first the new visitor was benign it now began to move pieces of Earth from where they belonged. This travesty soon eroded a great mountain of volatile elements introduced by Chaos. These elements scraped and prodded at eachother until a great blaze was ignited: Fire was born.

Fire sought only to devour it grew where it could and eventually began to devour air. This pleased Earth greatly. Eons passed as more and more air was fed to the ever-growing inferno. Soon however an elemental reaction occurred. Pieces of air, imbued with the powers of all elements before it, began to form together. Great clouds formed that were different from the smoke and ash produced by fire. Eventually a great clap was heard. A mighty storm began which gave birth to Water. For many millions of years the great storms raged and poured. Fires were eliminated while Air soon regained its strength. However it never became as strong as it had in the past and so an uneasy alliance settled betwixt the elements. Fires raged when Air became too powerful, mighty torrents purged fires damning touch, great mountains protected Fire from the worst of waters wrath, and  air slowly eroded earth in order to fulfill its own desire.

Not only did the four elements grow accustomed to this peace but so did Order and Chaos. With enough destruction to sate Chaos and enough rigidity to appease Order there seemed to be an eternal peace settling over the universe.

However soon began the first scurries, creatures no bigger than a pebble began roaming the planet seeking to carve out a portion of this planet for themselves, and with that the peace was broken. As Life exploded across the lands, seas, and skies so did strife. This strife brought about the last and final element: Death.

Soon the peace that had lasted for untold eons was broken. Sides were taken and lines were drawn. Every element sought to eliminate its competition and gain true sovereignty over the planet. Jets of Fire and Water clashed as Life sought to stave off Death’s attacks.  {b]Air[/b] and Earth sought to stop the other from growing more powerful. Above it all Order sought to stop this madness and return to peace while Choas urged the competing elements onwards into a greater free-for-all.

Beyond it all though sat a force that had been there since the beginning. All of these elements an affront to its very existence. The Void has awoken once more!

Elements is a mafia-like game where each player is assigned an element with a different ability. Every day each element must vote to protect AND attack another player [you may use both on one player].  Most elements win when they have eliminated their opposing elements from the game. Every player gets a quick-topic and may choose to send an invitation to ONE other player. To do so simply PM the mod.

Spoiler: Elemental Abilities (click to show/hide)

Win Conditions
Every element wins when their enemies are voted out of the game and The Void is eliminated from play. More than one player can win but the game is over when the first player claims victory.

The Void however wins when there are only four non-void players left.

How to Play
1. Each player gets a Protect and an Attack
2. A protect gives a -1 rating to a player while an attack gives a +1 rating.
3. After all votes are cast then the players with the highest rating are eliminated from play. Being eliminated forbids you from posting in the thread other than a “Bah” post. Absolutely no game-play information can be given in the “bah” post.
4. Immediately after the player with the highest rating is eliminated a new round will begin.
5. Steps 1-4 will continue until a player has reached their win condition.

Players:
  • NotQuiteThere
  • Tiruin
  • TheWetSheep
  • Griffinpup
  • Lukeinator
  • DavetheGrave
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:07:29 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 3: In Sign-Ups
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:21 pm »

I'm IN, obviously. Question: what happens when chaos targets life or death?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 3: In Sign-Ups [1/9]
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:26:59 pm »

It'll be a random player other than Chaos or the player who is being forced to use the ability. I'll add that in here real quick.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »

NO way am I missing this and getting not-replaced in despite being a replacement :I

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:56:40 pm »

Uh, I'm a bit wary of joining a third game, but it is summer vacation... and elements is pretty low-maintenance... and I don't want to miss this one...

In.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 11:31:45 pm »

IN.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 3: In Sign-Ups [4/9]
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:08 pm »

In
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 3: In Sign-Ups [5/9]
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:22:19 am »

Just a note, you probably want to fix the enemies thing so that there aren't teams. So far, you've created 4 teams against each other, with the fact that "allies" don't mean anything here. In the original version, allies made sense, since, you know, they weren't against you.

But, in this iteration, allies make no sense, since for example, Earth isn't an enemy of Water, so why isn't Water an ally? Is it because Fire is an ally? But, then again, Earth's only ACTUAL ally is Order, which doesn't make sense at all, because in reality, these two are simply a different person with the exact same goal. Which also means that if Fire IS an ally of Earth, then so should Death. Basically, this would create 4 teams of two that are essentially 2 teams of 2 sub-teams each of two people.

Earth + Order vs. Air + Chaos
Fire + Death vs. Water + Life

Since the EO faction and FD faction are not at all enemies, they should BOTH be listed as allies, since it is possible for four players to win. But that doesn't even matter, since, you know, what's stopping Water and Life from being allies with Earth and Order? Nothing! Which is why it's basically four teams of two people.

Now, I'm going to ignore abilities, since they don't matter to me that much, and I'm just going to postulate an idea that'll make this slightly better. It simply involves switching the enemies of four players. I also feel like this change allows Void to be a competent faction, instead of teams ganging up on him.

This pattern fails on account of the team aspect. I feel no element should be given a teammate that can be fully accounted on. Therefore, my suggestion is this (Please note that the poles may be shifted, in case you wish to have Death be allies with Earth and Fire instead of Fire and Air. This is merely a test example that fixes some of the perceived game flaws.)

In my example, the elements that is adjacent to yourself are your allies. You each share one enemy, just like the original concept, and so I feel this sticks to how the original game was played. This also makes the term ally make sense. Anyone NOT listed as either can now be rightfully called a neutral.

Now, if you REEEEALLY wanted to expand, you could have three enemies, but that feels problematic, and is much bigger, plus it changes a few things. Plus, it's off-topic a bit.

Just figured I'd try to make the game fit the vision better.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:01:04 am »

The above post is quite true, on a second notice i'm In

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:18:01 pm »

Hm... I may have to take some time to slightly re-work the teams. If that's alright with everyone. Web points out some rather... Important information. Also, Dave, have you completed a BM? Plus, for future reference, you shouldn't use black text. Most people here, to my knowledge, use Darkling so it's hard to catch.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »

Hm... I may have to take some time to slightly re-work the teams. If that's alright with everyone. Web points out some rather... Important information. Also, Dave, have you completed a BM? Plus, for future reference, you shouldn't use black text. Most people here, to my knowledge, use Darkling so it's hard to catch.
I would've suggested three enemies, as it creates a much better star pattern, but then Void is horribly underpowered. But, yeah, my suggestion makes it less team-based, and more concept-fitting.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »

I havent done any mafia on this forum, but I've played variations on others, I understand the concept quite well.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:52:17 pm »

I dunno Dave. I'd recommend getting into the current BM as well. I'm sure you're decent at the game but you should do a BM anyway. It'll help you get into how we at Bay12 work with Mafia [as I'm told it's different from other areas]. Plus it'll actually let you into other games on the forum [I know that most games do not allow BM-less players in.]

I'll go ahead and add you here but I hope you consider what I said.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:06 pm »

I dunno Dave. I'd recommend getting into the current BM as well. I'm sure you're decent at the game but you should do a BM anyway. It'll help you get into how we at Bay12 work with Mafia [as I'm told it's different from other areas]. Plus it'll actually let you into other games on the forum [I know that most games do not allow BM-less players in.]

I'll go ahead and add you here but I hope you consider what I said.
Is it possible for me to join late? I'll see.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 3: In Sign-Ups [6/9]
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:51 pm »

It's entirely possible. It hasn't started yet. As I said you'll be playing here either way but you might as well pay your dues to the board so to speak.

Pages: [1] 2