Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Towers of Bacon & Cheese  (Read 4540 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Bacon & Cheese
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

Honestly, we should be able to do all of these things.

This is a masterfully crafted living wall.  All animating effects are of the most horrifying quality.  It menaces with the bony, clutching fingers of the poor souls trapped inside its timeless torment.  It stares at you through expertly crafted princess cut goblin eye-gems.  It is encrusted with... crust.  It cries for vengeance at the horrors which created it.  Beware its nightmarish screams.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »

It might be mildly amusing to replace the BLOCKS there for a bunch of reactions like that to make "anything out of anything" and then do some kind of community game or experimental fortress with said reactions enabled, preferably with mineral scarcity set to max. Which makes the better war hammer head, this chunk of goblin nerve tissue I found just lying there in the trap hall or these plump helmet spores? Is it better to make mail shirts out of yak wool, yak bone, yak cartilage, yak fat or possibly out of prepared yak eye biscuits than out of the comparatively rare yak leather? Making serrated disks out of the bones of your enemies for your traps - genius resource management? Stay tuned for tonight's episode.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:10:10 pm »

Will blocks made out of your artifacts be worth the same amount?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:36:16 am »

Honestly, we should be able to do all of these things.

This is a masterfully crafted living wall.  All animating effects are of the most horrifying quality.  It menaces with the bony, clutching fingers of the poor souls trapped inside its timeless torment.  It stares at you through expertly crafted princess cut goblin eye-gems.  It is encrusted with... crust.  It cries for vengeance at the horrors which created it.  Beware its nightmarish screams.

This makes me think of Myrkul and Kelemvors planes as well as the tower of liers in Baator. This would make for an awesome Demon or Necromancer civ.

Toady we demand full implementation stat!!!!!!!!!
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 05:48:03 am »

Sir, you have given me an idea for my first public mod. I might finish it in a month, with luck, but it'll be AWESOME!

:)

Felt like scripting and did some of the work for you (maybe). Elegant as a sledgehammer.

Script
Spoiler: itemreactions.sh (click to show/hide)

Result, from source files item_weapon.txt and item_instrument.txt:
Spoiler: reaction_new.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: permissions.txt (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 07:53:03 am »

Make everything, from anything. The next step in Dwarven industry.

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 09:06:39 am »

When I made the thread I wasn't expecting this level of response.

Or this quality of response.

But then again, this is Bay12. So it's inevitable.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »

Wow sir.
I just have a few questions/thoughts. You see, I know programming, but 95% of my knowledge is java and 4% is python. I have no idea what the batch script does. I only know the ECHO, GOTO, LOOP commands, and basic variables. Perhaps we could make a partnership? You script, I edit raws/give ideas/find ways to make the mod more !!FUN!!

It's just a Bash (unix shell) script using very basic tools, doesn't take any programming language. You can run it yourself either natively on any typical *x (add to df directory and sh itemreaction.sh) or by installing and using Cygwin on windows, I think that has all the text manipulation tools used. No way I'm doing my stream editing by writing new C if there's already sed stream editor :P

I have my own mods developing and that's about how much I want to invest in this game right now so will have to pass up on that, but here's fixed output from all the vanilla item files

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... and yes, as the careful reader may notice, this should allow you to make roasts from gabbro or even diamonds much like how you can make weapons from roasts. I have absolutely no idea how edible they may be, assuming it runs.

EDIT: nope, the food reactions crash DF, so no gabbro biscuits. For now. And it does get stuck in infinite loops of transmuting stuff a lot. But there's this:

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »

That'll work. It runs as is without tweaking. :D

Might take some exploration to figure out making which of what crashes DF. For example I think making bolts out of prepared meals or knuckle worms is fine, but who knows? Also could probably move stuff from the kiln to somewhere else.

This should even let you make things out of fire or amber if you can slice a suitable forgotten beast into pieces.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:04 pm »

Does nobody else find it humorous that the OP's last name is Baggins, and the main contributor to the thread is Halfling?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 04:55:22 pm »

We're just that active when the topic is cheese and bacon.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »

... This thread went from a question on if you could make towers of food, to a mod allowing you to make anything out of anything. I love this community!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

Only in this community, would a festering tower made of offal and old limburger cheese be considered epic.....

On the plus side, it would be hilarious to make a necromancer tower out of dwarven sugar, dwarven syrup, and strawberry biscuits.

Especially if the necromancer is female.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 06:22:45 pm »

Only in this community, would a festering tower made of offal and old limburger cheese be considered epic.....

On the plus side, it would be hilarious to make a necromancer tower out of dwarven sugar, dwarven syrup, and strawberry biscuits.

Especially if the necromancer is female.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »

LOL, that is more aptly the DFhack guys. Scripting is just what you do when you don't want to write infinite amounts of stuff by hand. :P

Thanks though. Let's see how it works for a mod. The infinite loops are a significant issue as it is - e.g. you make a simple camel lung tissue dress or toga, then order a hammer, and if that dress is still in the workshop, it's used to make the hammer and you get a camel lung tissue hammer made from that dress, losing the dress, and so on. So if stuff is on repeat you just have the dwarves making that same piece of camel lung tissue into a breastplate, then a pair of pants, then a shield, then a halberd, then bricks and then a dress again. Stockpiles feeding to workshops no longer seems to be respected now that I've added so many reactions, somehow. But let's see if splitting workshops could help with that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3