Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Towers of Bacon & Cheese  (Read 4539 times)

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towers of Bacon & Cheese
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:32:15 am »

Question for everybody: Is it possible to make towers out of food products?

As we know, it is possible to make towers out of soap. And soap is made in a workshop.
Therefore, since cheese is also made in a workshop, it should be possible to make it into towers.
The bacon part isn't ready yet, so other meats must suffice.

It's just that I was reading I this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?698797-A-Story-to-Die-For-An-Elder-Kings-AAR and there seems to be a mention of cheese and bacon towers, which are the sort of madness that the DF community lives for.

So: is it possible?

Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Bacon & Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:42:05 am »

Nope.

Constructions can be made from soap because soap is produced in 'bars,' food is not.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:04:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This rather poorly thought out reaction lets you turn anything, including other items, corpses, etc, into blocks made from what that reagent was made of, which can then be built into constructions. Since it lets you also turn blocks into blocks, can get stuck in infinite loops unless workshop is fed from a stockpile not containing any blocks.

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:41 pm »

This rather poorly thought out reaction lets you turn anything, including other items, corpses, etc, into blocks made from what that reagent was made of, which can then be built into constructions. Since it lets you also turn blocks into blocks, can get stuck in infinite loops unless workshop is fed from a stockpile not containing any blocks.

So using this I should be able to make cheese towers. Cool.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »

So using this I should be able to make cheese towers. Cool.

More than that, using that you should be able to make ANYTHING towers. I'm not sure that it won't crash your game if you try something fancy, but it definitely works for simple things like cave spider silk and yak eyes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:36 pm »

What happens when you put a cage with a live creature into the reaction process?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:14:11 pm »

What happens when you put a cage with a live creature into the reaction process?

Science!

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:17:40 pm »

Then you start loading nobles into cages so they can finally help the fortress out.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

More than that, using that you should be able to make ANYTHING towers. I'm not sure that it won't crash your game if you try something fancy, but it definitely works for simple things like cave spider silk and yak eyes.

You know, sometimes you just come across something that makes you say "God damn I love this game."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »

I predict that the cage will be turned into blocks and the creature within released.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:13 am »

Build an entire tower out of dead goblins, or necromancers and zombies. For the irony.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:17:33 am »

Well, my hunch is that what is going to happen is they will crush the cage and whatever it contains into a cube made of the cage material, as they do with barrels. Could be a convenient way of disposing of prisoners and destroying entire stockpiles of food for a few blocks...

So let's add a reaction that actually works on the contents of stuff, just to see what happens.

Seems reasonable... Sadly no alcohol blocks were made, alcohol was just ignored for this process. I know for a fact that weapons can be made out of alcohol as that is how I usually test alcohols in arena mode, but I suppose you would have to make it solid first, or something. What happens to prisoners with this reaction is left as an exercise for the more adventurous fortress mode player.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:39:06 am »

Science!
Stating the obvious, I know you are all thinking it!

How about building your defenses out of blocks made from carcases of the last siege - literally a wall of bodies (and even drawbridges)-  or a trade depot out the last elven caravan...

This would give any fort an evil note!

PS: Question will your bridge come alive in an evil biome if made out corpses? 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:45 am »

It's not made out of corpses though, it's made out of blocks. The material the block is made out of isn't really important, as it's the item's type that primarily controls how it interacts with the world. For instance, you can't cut a dead FB made of glass into gems, because its item token is 'corpse' or 'corpse piece' and not 'rough gem'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:10:14 am »

It's not made out of corpses though, it's made out of blocks. The material the block is made out of isn't really important, as it's the item's type that primarily controls how it interacts with the world. For instance, you can't cut a dead FB made of glass into gems, because its item token is 'corpse' or 'corpse piece' and not 'rough gem'.

Hmmm so there is no way to easily mod the blocks to come alive, without creating wandering stone walls?

hmmm sad
Pages: [1] 2 3