Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64752 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2013, 01:30:02 am »

Does anyone else think the website for this game is really poorly designed? Like they just tried to cram way too much stuff in to these screens.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2013, 01:39:36 am »

Looks fine to me.  It might not be rendering right for you, or something.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2013, 03:49:06 am »

Why focus on the life time insurance only? If I get the cheapest account with the cheapest/no ship will I be able to fight and win (assuming equal skill and luck) a fight on day one against a guy with the best ship money can buy on day/minute one? If the answer is no the game is pay to win, if the answer is yes I wonder why people are buying these ships considering they're so terrible.

1) Cheapest ship is a basic all-rounder ship not specifically designed for combat, so you're comparing apple-to-orange;
Because one party gets the apples and the other gets the oranges.... Thats the problem.
[qoute]
2) Again, combat isn't everything and your definition of "winning" is the outcome of a single dog fight; your Call of Duty mentality isn't compatible with the type of experience this game offers;[/quote]We'll just wait for the economic improvements you can buy with real cash. But I have no doubt in my mind that if you get killed 20 times while a certain group of people doesnt get killed that much (and gets their ship back for free) that the second group has a huge advantage.

3) People don't pledge just to "pay-to-win"; they do so to support the development of the game through crowd-sourcing;
Still pay to win
4) I paid $175 for a cargo hauler because I want to experience the trading aspect of the game but you can still destroy my $175 ship with your $45 starter ship; is this "pay-to-win" too?
You will have other (paid for) advantages that make it still pay to win. Can I profit from the trading aspect of the game the same you can on day 1, assuming equal skill?

5) It seems crowd-funding isn't your cup of tea, so I'll leave it at this.
It's awesome. Not all publishers decide to give huge advantages to the high rollers tho. As I said early itt I look forward to the game and I actually thought about pledging but I sadly cant do that considering the p2w nature of the game.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2013, 04:11:18 am »

Why focus on the life time insurance only? If I get the cheapest account with the cheapest/no ship will I be able to fight and win (assuming equal skill and luck) a fight on day one against a guy with the best ship money can buy on day/minute one? If the answer is no the game is pay to win, if the answer is yes I wonder why people are buying these ships considering they're so terrible.

1) Cheapest ship is a basic all-rounder ship not specifically designed for combat, so you're comparing apple-to-orange;
Because one party gets the apples and the other gets the oranges.... Thats the problem.
[qoute]
2) Again, combat isn't everything and your definition of "winning" is the outcome of a single dog fight; your Call of Duty mentality isn't compatible with the type of experience this game offers;
We'll just wait for the economic improvements you can buy with real cash. But I have no doubt in my mind that if you get killed 20 times while a certain group of people doesnt get killed that much (and gets their ship back for free) that the second group has a huge advantage.

3) People don't pledge just to "pay-to-win"; they do so to support the development of the game through crowd-sourcing;
Still pay to win
4) I paid $175 for a cargo hauler because I want to experience the trading aspect of the game but you can still destroy my $175 ship with your $45 starter ship; is this "pay-to-win" too?
You will have other (paid for) advantages that make it still pay to win. Can I profit from the trading aspect of the game the same you can on day 1, assuming equal skill?

5) It seems crowd-funding isn't your cup of tea, so I'll leave it at this.
It's awesome. Not all publishers decide to give huge advantages to the high rollers tho. As I said early itt I look forward to the game and I actually thought about pledging but I sadly cant do that considering the p2w nature of the game.
[/quote]Join private server or make your own if you dont like the cash shop and spawn yourself a capital ship and own anyone not paying you to get one i dont know... There is other alterntive its not like they are forcing your hands.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2013, 07:11:30 pm »

Snip.
Each to his own then. This will fix all your problems and only costs $40 to get the game (and alpha and beta access):

Join private server or make your own if you dont like the cash shop and spawn yourself a capital ship and own anyone not paying you to get one i dont know... There is other alterntive its not like they are forcing your hands.

Despite our arguments, you're welcome on board my pay-to-win four-crew Constellation. As I said many times, the fact that I (or anyone else) have a pledge ship doesn't mean it's only to be enjoyed solo--this game is more of a co-operative space simulation instead of an over glorified deathmatch.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2013, 02:43:24 am »

Hangar Module is about one month away; apparently it's going to be released during the Gamescon thing

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2013, 07:44:05 am »

I think I want this game. O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »

You can still get Lifetime Insurance on your pledge ship if you have someone with Original or Vet backer status buy it for you.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »

You can still get Lifetime Insurance on your pledge ship if you have someone with Original or Vet backer status buy it for you.
Ohhhhhh cool, ill get somebody here to buy a 4man ship, i know nothing about ship classification in star citizen, is the 4 man ship a corvette? or frigate? i would think frigate would be at least a 6-8 man ship.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »

This has to be the first game I've ever seen where people are throwing real money at nonexistant crap before the game is even live.

Sounds like it will be utter shit to play if you didn't invest a few hundred dollars before launch. Everyone will have great ships at launch and who cares if they explode because free replacements forever yay!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:08 am »

Ohhhhhh cool, ill get somebody here to buy a 4man ship, i know nothing about ship classification in star citizen, is the 4 man ship a corvette? or frigate? i would think frigate would be at least a 6-8 man ship.

There's no real classifications like that yet.  Most ships have a listed role but that doesn't really relate to its size that much.  It's not like EVE which has like, frigate -> destroyer -> cruiser, etc.

I have Vet Backer status, I can help someone get Lifetime Insurance if they need it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2013, 01:23:18 am »

This has to be the first game I've ever seen where people are throwing real money at nonexistant crap before the game is even live.

Sounds like it will be utter shit to play if you didn't invest a few hundred dollars before launch. Everyone will have great ships at launch and who cares if they explode because free replacements forever yay!

Yeah that sounds about right, thank you for your insights, you have a good lock on the situation.

Edit:  I mean, really:  This is the only game you've seen that is crowdfunded and has tiered rewards?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:30:07 am by Capntastic »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:51 am »

Yeah that sounds about right, thank you for your insights, you have a good lock on the situation.

Edit:  I mean, really:  This is the only game you've seen that is crowdfunded and has tiered rewards?
He meant paying to get a virtual ship outside of kickstarter while the game is still in devlopment. Among other virtual stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:11 am »

He meant paying to get a virtual ship outside of kickstarter while the game is still in devlopment. Among other virtual stuff.
Yes. that. This is going way beyond 'crowdfunded by kickstarter with tiered rewards'. Now we have limited time offers and buying ingame perks with real money which will make the game easier for you.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2013, 07:41:18 am »

Tbh, if they deliver on on their promises I don't think it will matter much.
I am mostly looking forward to the singleplayer campaign anyway though. I got the basic ship from the kickstarter and I don't intend to pour more money in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29