Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64707 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »

Not to mention that when your defense to the allegations resorts to ad-hominen, you've all but admitted defeat.

It's not even the ad hominems that are the problem, it's that the rant looks completely unhinged. I was taking The Escapist article with a grain of salt and I have to say the response was more concerning to me than the article itself.

Indeed it seems like that, but then looking at Derek Smart's blog it looks like he is doing crazy rants as well, which is to be expected because Derek Smart is renowned for his craziness.

That being said it doesn't look like Star Citizen is looking like it's going to release anytime soon so I'm glad I didn't back it, although I'm not too happy with the progress of Elite Dangerous either but at least that got released.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2015, 03:39:10 pm »

At least elite dangerous has a playable product with an expansion on the way this holiday season, to include multiple-player crewed ships, ship-launched fighters, planetary landings, etc and they have been pretty regular with patches, updates and new features.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »

Anyone who thought SC was ever going to be released is nuts. There was no way you could do what they wanted to do.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

Not to mention that when your defense to the allegations resorts to ad-hominen, you've all but admitted defeat.

It's not even the ad hominems that are the problem, it's that the rant looks completely unhinged. I was taking The Escapist article with a grain of salt and I have to say the response was more concerning to me than the article itself.

Indeed it seems like that, but then looking at Derek Smart's blog it looks like he is doing crazy rants as well, which is to be expected because Derek Smart is renowned for his craziness.

That being said it doesn't look like Star Citizen is looking like it's going to release anytime soon so I'm glad I didn't back it, although I'm not too happy with the progress of Elite Dangerous either but at least that got released.

Derek Smart is renowned for being crazy, absolutely, but I don't see his blog being that relevant to how wacky Roberts' response was. It's not like Smart is the only person on the internet (or even the most notable person) to accuse Roberts of mismanagement; the stuff from the article has been discussed on SA and elsewhere for ages.

Frankly, the big reason the response seems so unhinged is its obsession with Derek Smart. I've been in the position to respond to hit pieces on a company, and no one in their right mind writes a rant about a two-bit pseudo-competitor as their response. It's amateur at best, and deflection at worst.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2015, 03:54:39 pm »

Not really relevant but I feel like I should comment. Derek Smart's crazy is often overstated. I have interacted with the man personally and he was quite reasonable. He does sometimes get a bit excited though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:28 pm »

NO GAME of that scale as ever been done, none, its the first and there is a very nice saying from Albert Einstein: "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
Everything: The Game is actually a pretty popular concept these days. One that keeps failing for obvious reasons.

Wonder if it'll work out this time with the 90 million or crash and burn spectacularly. I'm fine with either.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »

I'm thinking it will be 'in development' for another year before releasing a lackluster product without many of the promised features. But don't worry, those will be added in eventually if you just keep buying fake spaceships!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »

Holy shit that response is written by someone who painfully realizes he has just been smacked right where it hurts.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:01 pm »

That article makes me both happy and sad.

Happy because I knew this would happen from day 1. I'm usually an optimistic guy when it comes to games, but that's I'd like to believe I don't put all my eggs in one basket then get jaded when I drop that basket. The game just seems too uber-ambitious to be true. It feels like their design statement/goal is "ALL THE FEATURES!!!!!!!!!"
Seriously. This kind of shit gets called out for every other kickstarter. Why was Star Citizen unique in getting people to look past the over-ambition?

Sad because while I've been predicting the crash and burn of Star Citizen since day one, (Of course, it hasn't really crashed and burned yet. It just seems more likely at this point,) It does seem like a game I'd really want to play.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2015, 10:36:11 pm »

I'm thinking it will be 'in development' for another year before releasing a lackluster product without many of the promised features. But don't worry, those will be added in eventually if you just keep buying fake spaceships!
Probably. At least I don't have to pay for my internet spaceships with real money.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:10 am »

Has... has anyone implying the game will never be finished, actually played any of the released modules? Or kept up with the dev blogs at all? The dogfighting is pretty fun, and it's been better than Elite Dangerous' combat for over a year. There have been balance issues, but every game has problems with balance, especially while still being heavily developed. We have no idea how much work they've put into the singleplayer experience already as it's all under wraps, but they've nailed the feel of a "modern" Wing Commander when it comes to gameplay. I don't doubt CR's ability to put together a fun campaign -- Squadron 42 is going to be a ride.

I'll refrain from commenting on the multiplayer because I'm not really interested in the persistent universe they're selling. I won't be surprised if it releases in some horribly broken state, but that's not what I signed up for. If the multiplayer is good, that's just icing on top -- I'm looking forward to SC because I want to play another Wing Commander.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 02, 2015, 01:39:19 am »

I think the article did a good job not to focus too much on his obsession with Derek Smart in the response posted on the Star Citizen website. I'm with Chiefwaffles - I've been expecting this from Day 1, while hoping they managed to pull it off.

The problem is that they're WELL over their initial release date with very little to show for it, and given the focus on a persistent multiplayer universe with Squadron 42 used as a tutorial to get you used to the game experience, I'm not expecting a lot from the single-player experience when (or if) it is ever released.

Also, the comments on the Star Citizen website are seriously creepy in their cult-like response to criticism of the game and Chris Roberts.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #207 on: October 02, 2015, 11:05:06 am »

While I I'm on the fence about current state of SC myself, its quite probable that a bunch of the drama junk is just anon posts from glassdoor... or at least according to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n6lum/escapist_anonymous_sources_uncovered
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 02, 2015, 12:19:21 pm »

If you read enough of the reddit posts, you'll see people say things like:
Quote from: PhantomPowerSC
Look at how all 4 reviews are written, short sentences, same style, all bullet point type critiques, people write in different styles, these are all the same. Would not surprise me if all were written by one person.

Quote from: Please_Label_NSFW
"Resign: My only hope for this company and the project are for the management team to step down and hand over their reigns to a more level headed competent team."
http://imgur.com/zs8AU3X
I WONDER WHO THAT SOUNDS LIKE!?!? That idiot literally just gave away who he was, how can he be such a moron... Derek Smart just signed his signature all over that review.

Not sure who I want to believe, but then, it probably shouldn't even matter to me because I'm never going to spend thousands of dollars on a virtual spaceship, let alone for a game that doesn't exist, and will never support a company that charges thousands of dollars for virtual spaceships...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2015, 12:44:24 pm »

Like I told my friend, who is a fanatic about this game and tried to get me into it several times, I may one day play the game if they actually release a product, but I will never pay them for spaceships that may one day be created in a product that does not yet exist.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29