Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64701 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »

My confidence in this project bottomed out pretty much the instant they started selling ships. I bought in at I think $50 for the Kickstarter but there is no way in hell I'd throw more money at it. The project is long overdue and honestly, for having literally a AAA budget, they don't have much to show for it other than a bunch of disconnected demos.

On the flip side, games can be in development 4 and 5 years in AAA before seeing the light of day. Still, I've basically already written off my investment in SC at this point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2015, 02:55:08 pm »

On the flip side, games can be in development 4 and 5 years in AAA before seeing the light of day. Still, I've basically already written off my investment in SC at this point.

Well, the game is in development from 2011.
Make love not war

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2015, 05:51:47 pm »

My confidence in this project bottomed out pretty much the instant they started selling ships.

Yep.

Also, the tone of CR's comments in that weird ranting letter on his website basically confirms everything negative being said about his leadership style and corporate culture.

Note to self:  When trying to convince people I am sane, avoid rambling on for several pages about twitter conspiracies against me.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

For quite a while I've thought that Star Citizen was nothing more than a long con, targeting clueless rubes.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »

For quite a while I've thought that Star Citizen was nothing more than a long con, targeting clueless rubes.

Well I just always thought they were incompetent and tried to make a game on a scope they had no idea of how to implement.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2015, 04:04:23 pm »

Apparently RSI is now threatening to sue The Escapist for defamation, and The Escapist politely told them to fuck off.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:08:11 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »

A  will surely help game development roll along.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2015, 05:06:39 pm »

Apparently RSI is now threatening to sue The Escapist for defamation, and The Escapist politely told them to fuck off.
Source? I'd love to read about this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2015, 05:15:02 pm »

I cant find the original material, but:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/10/04/star-citizen-drama-continues-as-cig-threatens-legal-action-over-recent-article.aspx

Freyermuth says that the company will begin the process of legal action in both the United States and United Kingdom (which has stricter anti-defamation laws) if demands are not met by end of business on Monday, October 5.

But these guys think it is just a bunch of sound and fury:  https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2015, 06:05:36 pm »

My confidence in this project bottomed out pretty much the instant they started selling ships. I bought in at I think $50 for the Kickstarter but there is no way in hell I'd throw more money at it. The project is long overdue and honestly, for having literally a AAA budget, they don't have much to show for it other than a bunch of disconnected demos.

^^^this

I always thought the game was too ambitious and would end up being disappointing because it was too overhyped, but I had some hope it would turn out being at least a halfway decent game.  However, I knew it was doomed as soon as I found out they were charging thousands of dollars for spaceships that don't exist for a game that does not exist.

There's absolutely no way this can end well. The hubris of the developers to charge that much, combined with the fanaticism of the community that's willing to pay it can only lead to disaster.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:50 pm »

It seemed over-hyped from the get go.  All I ever remember about this game is reading a bunch of articles about how much money they were raising.  It looked like more marketing than programming.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2015, 01:29:50 am »

Wait, Derek Smart's involved int his somehow?

Derek Smart, Derek Smart. 

Come tell us yourself.
Shoes...

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:55 am »

Wait, Derek Smart's involved int his somehow?

Derek Smart, Derek Smart. 

Come tell us yourself.
Only allegedly. The SC devs think he's involved because he hates them, but there's no proof whatsoever. And yeah, the legal threats are hilarious, because US libel law is extremely favorable to the defendant and UK libel law cannot legally be enforced on American soil unless it meets the American definition of libel.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2015, 07:03:15 am »

Honestly, I'm just sitting back with my popcorn and watching the slow-motion trainwreck this is turning into. The absolute worst thing they can do is actually get into a legal scuffle with Derek Smart or the Escapist. Not only will they be throwing away money to lawyers, they don't have a leg to stand on.

I think Derek Smart's prediction of three months to shutdown is a little short given continued funding from the cult - but I wouldn't be surprised if they have to make massive cuts or end up shutting down within half a year.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:55 am »

I generally dont know what to think, will this fail and crash, or make it to be a great game or something between.

So far, the only negative thing i see is milking  and pay to win features with slower development. But on other hand the thing that is developed looks really good, and as they hired actors like Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson and videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltoK9KxQKB0
I am mot sure they lack money to keep developing the game, as some people assume.
The game is really moving forward, slowly but still moving.
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29