Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41

Author Topic: BM XLII - Game Over: Mafia Win!  (Read 75132 times)

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLII - Day One - A Cunning Plan
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »

I was simply implying that a mafia would probably jump on the chance of a feud between two players. Its more or less a logic thing then a threat. For all I know imp or YOU could be the scum. Or even both? And this is some elongated plan to wither me down and stab me in the night.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:54 pm »

Day 1 ends on Monday, July 29 at 8:00pm CST

Votecount

TheWetSheep (0) -
griffinpup (0) -
Griffionday (1) - Powder Miner
Powder Miner (1) - TheWetSheep
Imperial Guardsman (2) - DaveTheGrave, notquitethere
DaveTheGrave (2) - Nerjin, Imperial Guardsman
Boy (1) - griffinpup
Nerjin (0) -
notquitethere (0) -

Not Voting - Griffionday, Boy

Extend (0/4) -
Shorten (0/5) -

TheWetSheep has Requested Replacement on or before Sunday, August 11.

DaveTheGrave - Editing posts is not permitted under any circumstances.  If you need to fix a post, it is acceptable, during the game, to double-post with corrections.  First infraction is a warning, second infraction is a modkill.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2013, 10:09:10 pm »

Griffpup: I've seen you around a few times... Anyway who would you most prefer to have on the scum-team with or against you?
I've seen you around a few times too... :o Anyways, I'd pick NQT against me, as I feel that I'd get a deep seated satisfaction from lynching him.  I'd prefer... one of the more experienced people as a scum partner. 
Griffinpup: Is that all?
No.
When does lurking become scummy?
When someone doesn't post any meaningful content for a full day without a valid excuse... And/Or When someone intentionally avoids commenting or posting on an issue to avoid being noticed.
griffinpup: You don't have long on the computer, but before you have to get off, you want to make a post? What sort of things do you keep out in order to have enough time to type the post out? What do you leave in?
Ooohhh...  That's a very hard question.  I prefer to be fairly detailed in my posts where applicable.  I am also in multiple conversations/arguments at the same time.  I would focus on one of the discussions I was in, while not mentioning the other until I had more time.  I would also state that I was a bit out of time and would respond to the other discussion later.

Griffinpup, even in the RVS I find it helps to try to make your vote do some work when you use it, otherwise the other player will feel little pressure.
I don't see you as my playing superior, and therefore don't really value your advice.  Sorry.

TheWetSheep - What's YOUR definition of active lurking?
Griffionday - What manipulations do you use while playing scum?
Powder Miner - List all the major scumtells you will be searching for.
Imperial Guardsman - Why haven't you posted RVS?
DaveTheGrave - What's with you?  You still haven't answered the question, despite you being prompted by Nerjin.  Answer it.  You are being cagey and hypothesizing what scum will do excessively.  Why?
Boy - Have you read a mafia game on this forum yet?  If so, which one(s)?
Nerjin - You are squeaky clean townie.  How do you go about finding scum in a sea of noobs?
notquitethere - You are dirty filthy scum.  How do you pretend to scumhunt in a sea of noobs?

PPE:
Thanks for warning him about the editing.  I wasn't looking forward to writing up that part of my post.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2013, 11:13:37 pm »

DavetheGrave: You missed my question, probably because I shortened your name:
Dave: How do you plan to find scum?

Also, why would scum kill IG because you're arguing with him? And why do you have a hard time answering hypotheticals?

Griffinpup:
Griffinpup: Is that all?
No.
What were you trying to achieve with your first post?

Same as yours probably: not contributing to beneficial game discussion but trying to appear as if you are. But my question to you was about normal lurking, as in, not posting at all or very little.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:07 pm »

What were you trying to achieve with your first post?
Be the first person to post since the game started.
Same as yours probably: not contributing to beneficial game discussion but trying to appear as if you are. But my question to you was about normal lurking, as in, not posting at all or very little.
And that was what my answer was about.  I limited it to lurking specifically.  I was asking what the difference between the two are in my question.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2013, 12:54:08 am »

Nerjin:
GriffDay: If you were scum would you pursue an easy lynch or would you try to push a different conclusion?
Definitely push a different conclusion.  The benefits are endless:

It's so much more fun.
You will rarely be called out for bandwagoning.
It shows that you are "thinking" about the game.
You are adding to the game: both white noise and possibly suspicions of other people.
It means you can always pull off your vote later if it's more useful to be elsewhere as you are a FREE SPIRIT WHO CANNOT BE TAMED.

Really, pushing for an easy lynch will just cause you to slip out of the game, and jepordize yourself for lurking.

When would you go for an easy lynch over a more difficult one?

Sheep:
Griffionday: If you were scum at 3p LyLo and someone claimed cop but had no information on you or the third person, would you counter-claim?
Well, I think it depends on what I was planning to do.  If I wanted to push them onto to third player, then I might accept that without much comment.  On the other hand, this would be a good opportunity to attack if he were the person I wanted to try to lynch.

IG:
Voting puts more pressure on people then questions. Pressure is good. When they crack, the information you get is quite useful.
What do you mean by "when they crack"? 

Powder Miner:
Griffionday: You're cop, and you claim such. However, the man you claim is scum counterclaims as a cop, providing someone totally different as an investigation. How do you prove yourself?
Hopefully I've played more town than the scum by that point, and am able to point out where he's dropped tells in the past.  Whether or not that is true, I would still be able to start focusing on him and his play to see if I can start bringing other people onto my case.

griffinpup:
Griffionday - What manipulations do you use while playing scum?
The only one worth anything: playing as town.

What manipulations do you plan to use?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2013, 01:02:10 am »

TWS
NQT: Is this question helpful?
Only if my answer gives you an idea about my character. Did it?

Griffpup
I don't see you as my playing superior, and therefore don't really value your advice. Sorry.
That's okay, I don't claim to be superior. I've just played quite a few games and the received wisdom is that you should put some pressure with your votes. Another classic piece of advice is to never let your opinion of a player from one game cloud your judgement of them in the next.

notquitethere - You are dirty filthy scum. How do you pretend to scumhunt in a sea of noobs?
I thought you didn't want my advice  ;D. Jokes aside, I'd probably let the new players mislynch each other while offering a case on the most plausibly scummiest. Oh, and I'd probably manufacture bogus conflicts with my scumbuddy so we can distance ourselves from each other.

How important do you think inter-game meta is?

Powder Miner
Notquitethere: How much do you think you can lie about the game before people get suspicious?
I assume you mean 'lie' in the sense of lie low. It depends on the players but generally by LYLO, accusations of lying low will be brought up. If you meant 'lie' as in deceive, then it doesn't take long at all for an astute player to spot a blatant falsehood, but it depends how much they're paying attention.

Dave
If you're responding to just one thing someone's said, it helps to cut their quote down a bit. This helps minimise the walls of quoted text on the screen.
I was simply implying that a mafia would probably jump on the chance of a feud between two players. Its more or less a logic thing then a threat. For all I know imp or YOU could be the scum. Or even both? And this is some elongated plan to wither me down and stab me in the night.
Thing is, scum also have an incentive to act like town players. Try not to be over-paranoid. What would you do as scum if you saw two less experienced town players at each other's throats?

Griffionday
For what sort of thing is it reasonable to lynch a player on day one?

Nerjin, the 'voice of reason' nature of being an IC makes an possible mask for a spy bully scum player to hide behind. If you are town, in what way will you be alert to this possibilty with me?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2013, 02:49:02 am »

Griffionday
For what sort of thing is it reasonable to lynch a player on day one?
Seeming the most scummy.

If you want more specific than that we're getting into the realm of policy lynches (namely that there is a list of things that I consider reasonable justification for a lynch).  I try not to have a policy about most cases, as it ties you up as town, and if you're wrong then you leave an opening for scum to attack.  That being said, there are cases where it'd be appropriate.  For example: any form of "I've got to level with you, I'm scum and want to win, what sort of deal can we make?" should be summarily followed by a lynch, possibly with shortening the day as well.

What were you going for with that question?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:07 am »

What were you going for with that question?
I wanted to know your criterion for a day 1 lynch-- this isn't a purely hypothetical question as I'll be looking at how you (and everyone else) votes as the day goes on. A good RVS question is posed as a trap. I'm glad you don't condone policy lynches (other than lynching self-proclaimed scum, which is reasonable). 'Seeming the most scummy' is a bit vague. Do you want to be more specific?

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2013, 06:18:13 am »

DaveTheGrave - What's with you?  You still haven't answered the question, despite you being prompted by Nerjin.  Answer it.  You are being cagey and hypothesizing what scum will do. Why?
Because I didnt see the question. But to answer it, if the ending of your statement is teh question. Because i dont want to wrongfully be lynched in the start of the game.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:08 am »

I really thought I was posting RVS.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2013, 07:37:39 am »

Because I didnt see the question. But to answer it, if the ending of your statement is teh question. Because i dont want to wrongfully be lynched in the start of the game.
Claiming town?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:12 am »

Griffinpup
(I should point out that IG asked RVS-style questions to Nerjin and Dave.)

Imperial Guardman
Claiming town?
This is a null-tell. All players, including scum, implicitly claim to be town in a normal mafia game.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2013, 09:03:33 am »

Claiming town?
Are you implying your not?

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

Are you implying your not?
I dont see how that would imply im not town in any way.
Dave. You are the jailkeeper. Who do you protect/roleblock first night?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41