Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192099 times)

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1425 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:01 am »

Yes, but it is ultimately my hope that between the damage from the fall and triggering the trap (since falling on upright spike traps still cause the traps to go off), it will cause a much higher chance of quickly killing or maiming. This should have the added bonus of cleanly executing things and not having to worry about the traps getting jammed up.

Unfortunately, it seems that the iron spikes aren't doing as much damage as I want them to. I made the pit deeper and added 5 spikes per trap (above the 2 per trap I originally had) and the two test subjects both survived and had to be subdued by the stone traps I set up as a fail-safe and having the militia wipe them up for me. I'm not sure if I should switch to using spears or just adding more spikes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1426 on: September 02, 2015, 04:18:36 am »

Just make a 30z drop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 02, 2015, 06:36:54 am »

Just make a 30z drop.

And/or reflooring the bottom with something cheap and heavy like slag, fall damage is based on the weight and relative speed of the impact surface; so a featherwood floor rarely inflicts more than mild bruising after a 10z fall while slag can break bones after 5.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:39:04 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:42 am »

Yes, but it is ultimately my hope that between the damage from the fall and triggering the trap (since falling on upright spike traps still cause the traps to go off), it will cause a much higher chance of quickly killing or maiming. This should have the added bonus of cleanly executing things and not having to worry about the traps getting jammed up.

Unfortunately, it seems that the iron spikes aren't doing as much damage as I want them to. I made the pit deeper and added 5 spikes per trap (above the 2 per trap I originally had) and the two test subjects both survived and had to be subdued by the stone traps I set up as a fail-safe and having the militia wipe them up for me. I'm not sure if I should switch to using spears or just adding more spikes.

Upright spike traps are not weapon traps and do not trigger independently, they only work with a mechanical trigger (whether lever, pressure plate, etc).

Or you could be talking about weapon traps loaded with menacing spikes.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 02, 2015, 02:37:10 pm »

Upright spike traps are not weapon traps and do not trigger independently, they only work with a mechanical trigger (whether lever, pressure plate, etc).

They still inflict damage if you fall on them though. You can even get bodies impaled on the spikes in the process. Upright spike traps never jam, for the record. You can have multiple blue whale corpses impaled on a spike and it will still extend and retract just fine. Last time I did a trap like this, 15 Zs and ten green glass spikes per tile killed or maimed pretty consistently on first impact against goblin invaders. Iron spikes might work better and flooring with slag would probably make it even more deadly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1430 on: September 02, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »

I was always under the impression that they have no effect on falling targets.  ???
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 02, 2015, 05:01:04 pm »

I've seen it mentioned before, but the wiki didn't have anything to say about it.

Tested it myself and units falling on upright spikes do get "attacked" by them: the combat log shows "the spinning menacing [] spike [strikes|misses]" for the the unit after the reports regarding the ground-impact damage.

My comment re: upright spikes traps earlier was also in the assumption that this did not happen.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 03, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »

I was always under the impression that they have no effect on falling targets.  ???

I can confirm they do trigger from a fall.

The irony is, from my testing (not using slag floors, but standard rock that is found) - from a 50 Z fall onto steel spear trapx10 in each, most invaders with 10 skill level average barely got scratched by this fall and the spears on impact. Odd one got a fractured bone, but most got light cuts and 0 damage from the you know, 50 story fall onto solid stone. This was notable for larger races, not the smallest races (such as goblins, gnomes, etc) - whom I never got to test it on.

Was HILARIOUSLY ineffective for me. Though, I did not know the floor type impacts it... tempted to do !SCIENCE! and see how much difference that makes to get a better grasp on that for myself, and everyone else.

Of course, for 'effective killing' - I'd much rather just build a 2 deep 'moat' - slap a bridge system over it, drop invaders in, then close the bridge on them. Even with swimming 15, they drown 100% in 10-15 seconds. Hilariously easy/cheap, and can decimate basically all non-flying invaders with 1 switch. :P

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 03, 2015, 03:02:59 pm »

In an alternate timeline, no one noticed that anytime a dwarf suffocated, bled, or froze to death, baby Stukos happened to be close by, yet no one saw a thing. Last to die was his mother, of course, and upon maturing, he started a warlock tower in the blood-soaked ruins of Forkbad.

In another timeline, Stukos and his mother were not sealed into the new channels under the forges.

In another timeline, Stukos did not know the brief warm embrace of magma.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 03, 2015, 10:09:16 pm »

Well I can say with experience that upright spike/spear traps do indeed trigger when something falls on it. I was unaware that floor composition factored into fall damage, that is something useful to know. Anyway, this isn't meant to be some death trap to kill invaders en-mass; just a cheap, uncomplicated, method of executing whatever skulking filth gets caught in a cage trap that also happens to make me smile and I would take a deep, spike filled pit over a drowning trap any day.

Gem Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 04, 2015, 12:46:32 am »

Well, with my fort, I got nice and big and started discovering technologies and building temples, and suddenly a new mayor was sent by the mountain homes.... Only thing is is that this "mayor" was an Elder Vampire, who murdered a bunch of people and raised them from the dead, and was only found out once he publicly turned into a bat, at that point he went berserk, and completely unarmed smashed his way through over 100 Dwarves, 40 of which were heavily armed already, due to this being a savage biome. Now he is sitting in a room in the old fort as I am building a new fort with the immigrants in another cliff across a few rivers. That was quickly ended when a Bronze Colossus showed up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:51:59 am by Gem Hound »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1436 on: September 04, 2015, 06:45:42 am »

Well, with my fort, I got nice and big and started discovering technologies and building temples, and suddenly a new mayor was sent by the mountain homes.... Only thing is is that this "mayor" was an Elder Vampire, who murdered a bunch of people and raised them from the dead, and was only found out once he publicly turned into a bat, at that point he went berserk, and completely unarmed smashed his way through over 100 Dwarves, 40 of which were heavily armed already, due to this being a savage biome. Now he is sitting in a room in the old fort as I am building a new fort with the immigrants in another cliff across a few rivers. That was quickly ended when a Bronze Colossus showed up.
That sounds like an amazing story :) Is the fort still alive?

Gem Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 04, 2015, 05:58:06 pm »

Well, sort of. If you count a crippled Dwarf tantruming in her bed being choked with miasma as surviving. :) Can't wait to see the colossus and the elder vampire fight eachother.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 05, 2015, 06:38:07 pm »

It is the 16th of the month the wretched dwarves have named Obsidian, year 4 since the start of the common era.

The demons of the Hamlet of Genvegeroure, "Illnessscreame," have done well.  Titans have assaulted the deep halls of their desert home but have been repeatedly repulsed with nary a loss.  Water and food are plentiful due to the aquifer beneath the earth and the masses of cavern creatures which throw themselves into the traps set at the subterranean entrance to the hall.  All have begun to despise crundles and crundle meat, but it and the flesh of mythic titans has sustained them for years.

Their numbers total twenty and three adult succubi and incubi (the womenfolk vastly outnumbering the menfolk, as is proper), with three children having been born during the first few years of the settlement, one of which has become a fine, young example of a succubi.

Their only losses have been the bravest amongst them.  Their early matron and her friend, our finest miner and mechanic, were carving out ore from the lower reaches of the hall, not yet into the cavern, when up from the lowest caves struck a horrific jabberer which made short work of them.  The beast, named "Alandiseororme" in fear of her might, was captured when it attempted to breach the gates.  She was kept in a docile state for years until the demons were fortunate to capture a male of her kind in the same manner.  Now, with both sated on crundle meat, Alandiseororme has lain her first clutch of eggs.

They expect her offspring to be as fierce as she.  Coupled with the thirty and more rutherers which have been captured and domesticated, the future of dungeon defense will rest upon the might of these titanic beasts.

Traps upon the surface have caught a peregrine falcon, when it dove down to snatch up a lizard within the sandy cave entrance to their home.  Hopes to raise a generation of falcons for entertainment, status and trade have not been fruitful as no male has been caught.  Eagerness for falcon pets has been put aside for eagerness for jabberer pets, and if luck be with them, giant peregrine falcon pets.  One of the monstrous beasts was caught in the same manner as it's lesser cousin.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 07, 2015, 05:11:15 am »

So I'm trying Warlocks out again and I've been getting the hang of it. It seemed unwieldy at first but I think I've gotten a pretty solid strategy going with it. I ended up making a fort that just so happens to have a volcano in the middle of it; as in, a mountain surrounded by mostly flat lands. Since I set up about seven ethereal gates and have warlocks constantly pumping out blocks, I decided that I'm going to build a giant tower around the mountain. The walls will come first, essentially just walling off the mountain, but I plan on raising the walls higher and higher until the mountain's highest point. From there I'll fill out the walls with floors to make it more of a proper tower. Since I essentially have infinite blocks, hopefully I'll be able to accomplish this before the game destroys itself with lag.

Unfortunately, things are going slowly since zombies are... well slow. Plus, I can't make a lot of skeletons because most of the bones I'm using is going into ironbone production and the amount of bones I'm getting from hunting is pretty low. The lack of pylons doesn't help either since I haven't hit a lot of gems. Frankly, I'm terrified that a siege will come and ruin my day while my walls are still being constructed.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 113