Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192238 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #855 on: April 07, 2014, 12:34:43 pm »

But coins are stacks and will be used as such. Run the "exchange 1000 copper to 500 silver" reaction, and it will use your 1,3mil copper stack, and give you 500 silver for it. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »

Mass dump operation outdoors was interrupted by a drow siege, full cavalry regiment with rutherers jabberers and cave crawlers. 37 dwarves dead. The bats tore the marksdwarves apart and about ten of the dump crew were killed before they could reach the fortress. The infantry was either slaughtered or turned into war gods. The hospital is still full from the last siege and between the tantrums and the mass insanity it's getting hard to get anything done.

But coins are stacks and will be used as such. Run the "exchange 1000 copper to 500 silver" reaction, and it will use your 1,3mil copper stack, and give you 500 silver for it. ;)

Valid point.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:53 pm »

I just had an elf caravan that sold me a colossus elephant ($2.5K).  I promptly slaughtered it and made a 4000 stack of masterwork lavish meals ($700K).  That makes one stack of meals worth about 4 times the value of the rest of my fortress combined and the single most valuable thing I have ever had a dwarf make in any of my fortresses.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 08, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »

I just had an elf caravan that sold me a colossus elephant ($2.5K).  I promptly slaughtered it and made a 4000 stack of masterwork lavish meals ($700K).  That makes one stack of meals worth about 4 times the value of the rest of my fortress combined and the single most valuable thing I have ever had a dwarf make in any of my fortresses.

Jesus christ.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 09, 2014, 08:34:51 am »

Aww, and here I thought I’d come across something in a succession fort I could keep a secret.  ☼GreedyLittleBastards, the Multi-verse☼ was embarked in Untamed Wilds on basically a mountain of gold.  Sufficient gold + Embassy = pretty much anything goes in Masterwork.  Along with War Elephants, our traps have caught a Roc and many Great Bulls.  They’re bigger than elephants and worth more – Great Bulls weigh 8K and caged, they sell as pets at the Depot for 30K each.  Previously, the highest value pot of legendary meals posted on Bay12 was 75K.  We’re still cooking up those monster roasts but it is a kick to buy out an entire caravan, isn’t it?   :) 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 10, 2014, 02:07:52 am »

Had a titan show up made from knowledge wishing to spread love to the world.  It promptly melted horribly as soon as it entered the map.  I really wish I had stopped and exported the description, it was hilarious. 

Almost inspires me to make a bunch of short, five minute tutorials on some of the automation you can get going with workflows.  Just the ability to automate some of the more obscure consumables and root basics (like peat/charcoal/diamond generation or ore processing lines) really lets me focus on other things.  My masons rarely make anything but blocks for the stone crafter for example and I love that I just have to make sure I am feeding them stone to keep a supply of blocks in stock and the workforce is ready to respond to the request for thirty more bedroom sets almost immediately.  Never mind that it can also generate additional bins/barrels/buckets/cages/anvils/booze/etcetera on a nearly on demand basis.

Guess I will have to think about it.

fire1666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 10, 2014, 03:47:34 am »

I would have continued my fort for the let's play im doing but sadly dark stranglers where the only ones who where there so im starting a new fort, 30 start with 6 miners, 3 lumberjacks and a good metal production squad ready to go and a pair of swordsdwarfs. im going to record that fort now instead.
hopefuly I won't have as bad luck as I had in the last fort...

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 10, 2014, 04:16:45 am »

Had a titan show up made from knowledge wishing to spread love to the world.  It promptly melted horribly as soon as it entered the map.  I really wish I had stopped and exported the description, it was hilarious. 

Almost inspires me to make a bunch of short, five minute tutorials on some of the automation you can get going with workflows.  Just the ability to automate some of the more obscure consumables and root basics (like peat/charcoal/diamond generation or ore processing lines) really lets me focus on other things.  My masons rarely make anything but blocks for the stone crafter for example and I love that I just have to make sure I am feeding them stone to keep a supply of blocks in stock and the workforce is ready to respond to the request for thirty more bedroom sets almost immediately.  Never mind that it can also generate additional bins/barrels/buckets/cages/anvils/booze/etcetera on a nearly on demand basis.

Guess I will have to think about it.

PLEASE!!
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:40 am »

No idea how much it weigh. But I did melt it down out of curiosity. Got almost 3000 bars of copper from it.
Since iirc, if I had tried to use it at the vendors they would use the whole stack for a single reaction, or am I wrong?
Did you separate it before melt?

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 10, 2014, 07:36:47 am »

Embarked on a map with 130k gold - it's everywhere.  Found a nice multi-tiered waterfall in the third set of caverns (water edges on top and left edges of map are on different Z levels), never seen that before.  I'm hollowing it out to make a sculpture garden.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:43 am »

The Strong Deep One breaks the grip of The military commander's upper front teeth on The Strong Deep One's groin

Mental note: review training schedule and see just what exactly these squads are practicing ...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:22 am »

Embarked on a flat (with stream) site in... whatever that high-temp sand desert worldgen is called, I forget the default name.

So far (two years), literally every surface creature that's passed through my fort has been a forest spider. This isn't too problematic in itself, except they sometimes enrage I've lost some civs every other season as a result. Surprisingly, the military dwarf that I brought along at embark does pretty well at killing them despite their web shooting. I guess they web him, target his head (protected by a helmet), and then he eventually breaks free of the web and bashes them to death in between further webbings.

I'm debating capturing some and war training them but that would probably just make a huge mess of webs everywhere. Already I want to clean up my surface of all the webs that have already been shot around intermittently, which hasn't been very successful since usually what ends up happening is another batch of spiders appear during clean up and end up shooting more webs all over the place as I send the military guy to save the civs.

It would be nice if webs eventually just decayed on their own into thread... maybe even make it moddable the time it takes (so things like GCS webs might potentially last forever, but other smaller/"less dangerous" spiders might only last a few weeks), and also the likelyhood that any decayed given web would create a thread (so it would still be profitable to harvest actual webs). I don't expect that to be added in MDF (I doubt it's even possible, although maybe a periodic dfhack script could do it, just as it fixes bugs periodically), but I'll probably pop over to the vanilla suggestion forum.

In the interim I'll probably just cheat and remove their ability to shoot webs. Maybe add it back later on when I have an army of airmancers to assign them to.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:39:01 am by Niveras »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #867 on: April 12, 2014, 08:38:34 am »

Make an altar, pray for rain. Raindrops destroy webs on the surface. As does fire, which might be tricky if you have no grass to burn.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 12, 2014, 09:44:35 pm »

There's a forgotten beast in the caverns that the troglodytes have sent wave after wave of ambushes in an attempt to slay it and avenge their fallen comrades. Can't be trying to raid me, I've sealed off the caverns. For good reason in my opinion:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's blood. It's covering the entire caverns with troglodyte blood. Something to do with it's deadly dust. I have no desire to reopen the caverns. I'm playing as warlocks and I find it too easy to lose skeletons wandering off in the caverns. When I encountered an underground lake, I drained it and continued building downwards in a straight line with a solid wall around my staircase. The tower is just extending downwards.

Also of note, I'm about to try to burn the dwarves camping outside my tower with magma.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 13, 2014, 03:51:32 am »

"This is a orichalcum crutch.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with oval clear zircon cabochons and encircled with bands of orichalcum.  On the item is an  image of a citrus tree in wolframite."

um...ok...once someone gets their leg bitten off they'll have a fantastic replacement...
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 113