Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 506059 times)

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2013, 01:25:02 pm »

If I could take a modding round, I would like to take a crack at implementing my evil perfectly fair additions.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 01, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »

The problem is that I'm making a guy made of fire and as such don't want him to have a central nervous system, bones, organs, etc. I suppose I'll just reinvent the HUMANOID_SIMPLE that DF uses, and tweak it enough to try and fit the new system.

Interesting question. I know that tissue relsizes are, indeed, relative. But are they relative to the numbers within the specified creature, or across all the raws? AKA, if I have two identical creatures, same bodysize, same body (1PARTBODY for simplicity and proof of concept), etc... except that the tissues on one have relsize 2 and the other has tissues relsize 200, will one be easier to puncture than the other?

For the fire-man, there's creature tags for that kind of stuff - "NOTHOUGHT" combined with "NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT" removes need for a nervous center, "NOBONES" does what you'd think, and organs really aren't necessary in the first place. Intestines only make you weak, and vanilla dwarves have been known to survive and recover from heart removal.

The relsizes are relative only within that creature, I believe, though I'd like some confirmation on that too - otherwise all my "giant" spiders will probably be only slightly abnormally sized when compared to the halflings.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 01, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »

Ok, first off YES relsizes are only relative within the creature you are defining.

Second, laularuk, stop complaining :P, the defining of body parts is probably the least obtuse part of this process, just go on the wiki, look up body tokens, compare to how other people did them and your basically set. You probably THINK you have tissues and such down, but I bet you have an errorlog that is quite frightening, I know I did.

And for the fire-man, you could easily just copy halflings stuff and adjust it to not have certain stuff. Frankly most of the "fire" part could be accomplished with tissues and creature tags....I mean, after all, that's how TOADY did it :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2013, 03:20:43 pm »

ninja'd

BODY_SIZE isn't relative, but relsizes are relative within the creature only. If your giant spiders have greater BODY_SIZE than the halflings, then they're bigger, no matter what.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »

ninja'd

BODY_SIZE isn't relative, but relsizes are relative within the creature only. If your giant spiders have greater BODY_SIZE than the halflings, then they're bigger, no matter what.

And if they are a LOT bigger then the halflings....squish  :o

Also WHEN THE HELL IS THE PLAYER TURN GONNA START? I AM LITERALLY TREMBLING WITH EXCITEMENT

Indeed, I do this.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »

ninja'd

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »

The problem is that I'm making a guy made of fire and as such don't want him to have a central nervous system, bones, organs, etc. I suppose I'll just reinvent the HUMANOID_SIMPLE that DF uses, and tweak it enough to try and fit the new system.

Interesting question. I know that tissue relsizes are, indeed, relative. But are they relative to the numbers within the specified creature, or across all the raws? AKA, if I have two identical creatures, same bodysize, same body (1PARTBODY for simplicity and proof of concept), etc... except that the tissues on one have relsize 2 and the other has tissues relsize 200, will one be easier to puncture than the other?

Sup.

It's easy to replace any unwanted layer of the halfling with stuff that you want. Look to the vanilla bronze colossus raws for a prime example. Instead of using a simple body made of one thing, you can just take a humanoid body made in any way out of anything and make it entirely out of anything that you wish, like fire. :)

If you want to make a simple humanoid bodyplan that's 100% kosher, you can just take one of our body plans and remove all the stuff that you don't want. Such as for the halfling plans just take CORE, note that you don't want skulls or spines or guts, and if it has the NO THOUGHT CENTER, NOBREATHE etc. type of tags it doesn't even need the lungs or brains - so just delete them. Removing stuff from what was before is never that complicated.

I suppose the logic on that last part would be that since both represent the entire creature, they'd be the same?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2013, 03:31:17 pm »

Note that as you plan to make this creature out of fire, you may want to give it general material resistance or whatever at some insane level to counter the er....gibs....

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »

Also WHEN THE HELL IS THE PLAYER TURN GONNA START? I AM LITERALLY TREMBLING WITH EXCITEMENT

LOL

Well, did you playtest it yourself yet? Now would be a good chance to do that and take out some of the most glaring bugs (they are still there... for example I don't think your elves can keep records or wear or wield anything [intentional?] and tree lord sap removed in combat is named "molten skin" likely due to a malformed name tag).

I'm thinking we should make the player pool literally an unordered pool though. Like, first one who is there and wants it, gets it. This is so it always comes in a timely fashion and we don't get a backlog. Thoughts?

If I could take a modding round, I would like to take a crack at implementing my evil perfectly fair additions.
I'll take that as my cue to add you :)

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:23 pm »

For the player pool the way the do it in drunk fortress would probably work best... Except without the getting drunk. First come first served all the way!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »

Vanilla creatures-made-of-fire suffer ludicrous gibs, but I'm going to do some testing to see if that's required. But yeah, I can handle this. I actually have an interesting plan in mind...
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2013, 03:45:25 pm »

Well, did you playtest it yourself yet? Now would be a good chance to do that and take out some of the most glaring bugs (they are still there... for example I don't think your elves can keep records or wear or wield anything [intentional?] and tree lord sap removed in combat is named "molten skin" likely due to a malformed name tag).

Well the elves can't do those things because I ran out of time that I could've used to make a bunch of items for them to use, something I noticed is that since the treelords have [UTTERANCES] the elves get the weird kobold names as well (the trees have it, the elves don't, as the elves are supposed to be the "face" of the trees.) So I'm not sure exactly how much of an effect that will have on gameplay.

Also FUCK YOU STUPID NAME TAG SHIT.

I am nothing if not a magnet for weird bugs :P

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »

Vanilla creatures-made-of-fire suffer ludicrous gibs, but I'm going to do some testing to see if that's required. But yeah, I can handle this. I actually have an interesting plan in mind...

That's exactly the type of stuff/silliness/feature we can avoid here. I'm not that great on materials science but I think the vanilla variety of fire tissue is ridiculously fracturable and that's why it just breaks. Now, if you make those values more reasonable (like those of bone), the creature will be much more dangerous. But preferably don't make it resemble adamantine with a tissue layer thickness of thousands :P

Well the elves can't do those things because I ran out of time that I could've used to make a bunch of items for them to use, something I noticed is that since the treelords have [UTTERANCES] the elves get the weird kobold names as well (the trees have it, the elves don't, as the elves are supposed to be the "face" of the trees.) So I'm not sure exactly how much of an effect that will have on gameplay.

Also FUCK YOU STUPID NAME TAG SHIT.

I am nothing if not a magnet for weird bugs :P

Yeah... there's some tags that apply creature wide. I think maybe the pack animal stuff does too? Like making one caste of a creature a wagon makes them all wagons, it's a creature wide attribute.

Anyway, you can keep adding stuff during your bugfix turn to make up for oversights as much as you should fix any raws issues. Else it would be mostly impossible to fix things. It just needs to, you know, work from now on.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »

man

I'm just trying to trim the error log and I've hit a pair of walls.

First of all...

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/inorganic_DOOM_laularu.txt"
Unrecognized CE_BLEEDING token: 5

Code: [Select]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:20000:PROB:100:BP:BY_TOKEN:ALL:START:5:PEAK:6:END:2500]
Tried BY_TOKEN as well as BY_CATEGORY... I don't know if that's the problem, but I just can't seem to get that stupid error to go away. The syntax I'm using SHOULD parse. Should.

Anyway, the other one is...

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_underground_laularu.txt"
PALE_RIDER:Unrecognized Creature Token: MELTING_POINT
PALE_RIDER:Unrecognized Creature Token: BOILING_POINT
PALE_RIDER:Unrecognized Creature Token: IGNITE_POINT
PALE_RIDER:Unrecognized Creature Token: HEATDAM_POINT
PALE_RIDER:Unrecognized Creature Token: COLDDAM_POINT

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:55000]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:57500]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]

The problem is that I basically took that format right out of the vanilla Dragon raws and it CLEARLY works there. :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2013, 10:45:49 pm »

ahem *cough*toldyouso*cough*..... :P

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 261