Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16455 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hotline Miami 2
« on: June 21, 2013, 04:52:39 am »

Since it's been announced more officially now, I thought it warrants a thread of its own for speculation and stuff.

Hotline Miami 2 is the sequel and conclussion to Hotline Miami, a psychadelic, fast-paced, gory murder simulator with a kicking soundtrack and pixely graphics. What we've known for a while about it is that whereas the first was placed firmly in the late 80s, the sequel will be taking place primarily in the early 90s.

There's a snazzy teaser trailer available, as well as a write-up with screenshots on Rock Paper Shotgun, revealing some of the following:
  • The basic mechanics will be mostly the same.
  • It'll be dealing with the fallout of the events of the first game, as well as some things before.
  • Apparently canonically Jacket eliminated the Russian mob, making the hotline close house.
  • There'll be a group of Jacket wannabes called The Fans, who'll be mechanically similar to Jacket's masks, although with more drastic gameplay altering effects.
  • The Fans do terrible things to try and live up to their idol.
  • There'll be more characters you play as compared to the first game's 2.
  • The tutorial will be the movie set of a slasher film.
Currently planned as a 2013 release.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:10 am »

I hope they'll either completely redo, or abandon their idea for plot revealing. HM was amazing, with the exception of the ending.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:34 am »

"Fake difficulty the game part 2".

It's nice to see indies getting sequels tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:49 am »

I would disagree with that so hard. All the enemies in the game act mostly predictably. It's pretty much always your fault when you die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:22:18 am »

I would disagree with that so hard. All the enemies in the game act mostly predictably. It's pretty much always your fault when you die.
I'd like to disagree with that just a little bit, there's usually a tiny bit of luck involved, but fake difficulty wasn't included in this game :/

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:41 am »

I hope the atmosphere stays the same (aesthetics of LSD induced hallucinations? HELL YEAH)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:27:35 am »

I'd like to disagree with that just a little bit, there's usually a tiny bit of luck involved, but fake difficulty wasn't included in this game :/
Luck as in "I hope that guy doesn't spot me?" Yeah, that was a bit of it, but 90% of the time if you died it was your fault.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:17 am »

I hope the devs have improved since the original. It's been released for how long and still doesn't work with Steam correctly? It was fun, though, even if I didn't have any music and their fixes didn't work.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:58:52 am »

I hope the devs have improved since the original. It's been released for how long and still doesn't work with Steam correctly? It was fun, though, even if I didn't have any music and their fixes didn't work.
Tried the relatively recent beta version?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:12:47 am »

Tried the relatively recent beta version?

I was unaware of its existence. I'll try it out - I've heard great things about the soundtrack.

Javier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:15:06 am »

Yeah, because without being particularly good at quick reflex-based games after a few playthroughs of the original I can finish pretty much any level without dying once, and without repeated attempts being the exact same. By this point I stopped playing the game because it is actually far too easy. Precisely one of the greatest features of Hotline Miami is how its difficulty is anything but fake. You just gotta get the hang of the game.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 08:21:37 am »

I'm one of people that found Hotline Miami a bit on the easy side as well. Enemies were extremely predictable and as long as you avoid guns like they're the Xbox One you can usually breeze through levels chaining score getting A+.

I still love Hotline Miami to death and can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully they'll heavily expand the game length. I hope the soundtrack stays equally or more awesome.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:15 am »

I think I'm going to be playing this at rezzed tomorrow ! I shall post opinions tomorrow :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 08:25:18 am »

Incidentally, though not entirely related, GoG is now having a 24 hour sale, among which is Hotline Miami for 66% off ($3.33), in case someone's been waiting for a better deal.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:04:48 am »

I hope they'll either completely redo, or abandon their idea for plot revealing. HM was amazing, with the exception of the ending.

They're doing the story from multiple character's perspectives. There will be one group of people (I think called the Fan Club?) who are bummed they missed out on the last round of psychotic murder sprees. So they're the only group of characters that get to use the masks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11