Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Adaptation - Another Evolutionary Suggestion Game  (Read 17046 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Adaptation - Another Evolutionary Suggestion Game
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:23:22 am »

Let's use wheels.
There's actually a reason you see no wheels whatsoever in nature. First, a wheel requires two completely separated objects, which by definition are different organisms. Second, wheels are pretty terrible if you don't have roads, which don't have nearly the self-interest required to naturally be evolved.
Treads
Are treads really a good choice of locomotion for a seadwelling animal :P?
Yes
Won't work.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 01:25:00 am »

Let's use wheels.
There's actually a reason you see no wheels whatsoever in nature. First, a wheel requires two completely separated objects, which by definition are different organisms. Second, wheels are pretty terrible if you don't have roads, which don't have nearly the self-interest required to naturally be evolved.
Treads
Are treads really a good choice of locomotion for a seadwelling animal :P?
Yes
Won't work.
Yes it will, with the power of the RNG.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 01:54:12 am »

I hope the GM at least keeps a semblance of reality. Otherwise, these games have a tendency to quickly devolve into minimalist style games.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 01:58:34 am »

I hope the GM at least keeps a semblance of reality. Otherwise, these games have a tendency to quickly devolve into minimalist style games.
True.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:13 am »

Proboscis 6+1, Lithovore 4, Rock Burrow 2, Hard Shell 1, Treads 1-2

The blobcatcher sits upon small silica mounds in the reef, digesting the surrounding coral and filtering non-organic matter out of the water and depositing waste material directly beneath itself.  It gains a small amount of sustenance as a lithovore, but primarily it consumes floating cells or current-borne swimblobs by means of an extendible proboscis with a rudimentary "jaw" that allows it to catch passing blobs and pierce their surface.  The innards of the prey blobs burst over the proboscis and are absorbed via active transport through the blob's membrane.

The soft, thin membrane of the blobcatcher makes it especially vulnerable to swarmblobs, a cousin of the swimblob that drifts until it attaches to a prey organism and then excretes digestive acids to kill it.  The silica mounds that surround the catcher also force it to remain immobile, and since newborn blobs only rarely 'fall' off their parent blobs and drift away in the current the reproductive process naturally gives rise to large clusters of blobs around single mounds.

GENERATION 2:
Blobcatcher
A white blob of jelly that sits upon mounds of silica, usually in reefs, and remains atop the reef by increasing the size of its cone.  It preys on swimblobs and surrounding seafloor blobs using an extensible proboscis.  Tends to form clusters of other blobcatchers.  It's about a centimetre or so wide.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on other blobs when they land. These growths fall off and become another blob.
MOVEMENT: Completely immobile.
EATING: It catches nearby cells or blobs drifting on the current or living within range on the coral, using its proboscis.
PREDATION: Predated by current-borne swarmblobs, predates swimblobs and local seafloor blobs.
COMPETITION: Silica mounds remove blobcatchers from seafloor blob coral competition by destroying surrounding coral and raising them above the coral bed on said mounds, but competition with offspring or siblings is fierce for space atop the mound.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of seafloor blobs have built massive networks of reefs. Fronds grow above the rest, filtering food from the open water. They grow from their stalks so that they don't get covered by the bottom layer. Their underground sections form a complex root system that feeds off of the corpses of blobs that were buried.  Poking slightly above the reed network are spires and mounds of blobcatcher cones, upon which colonies of writhing blobcatchers sit and predate floating prey.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:28 am »

Acquire limited anemone-like movement.
Develop the ability to extend the proboscis far and quick. With serrated pincers.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 03:36:10 am »

Dig deeper into the seafloor for protection
Harden shell with rock detritus

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:52 am »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
TWO OF THESE
AWESOME

Develop the ability to 'fire' offspring out of the birthing thing, causing them to disperse.
Perhaps have the offspring be mobile for a while until they find a suitable spot?
+1 to armor
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 05:52:37 am »

+1 to hard shell
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 05:55:03 am »

Let's use wheels.
Treads
Those have the same separation issue.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acquire limited anemone-like movement.
Anemones aren't attached to the seafloor via big rocky structures.

Develop the ability to extend the proboscis far and quick. With serrated pincers.
Dig deeper into the seafloor for protection
Harden shell with rock detritus

Develop the ability to 'fire' offspring out of the birthing thing, causing them to disperse.
Perhaps have the offspring be mobile for a while until they find a suitable spot?
+1

I'd like to note that that last one has precedence in the real world.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 08:41:41 am »

+1 to all

Develop two suction cups to pull ourselves along

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:23 am »

If we are trying to move I would suggest
Prevent shell from fusing with sea floor
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:32 am »

If we are trying to move I would suggest
Prevent shell from fusing with sea floor

Let's grow MASSIVE. If any of you have read the Artemis Fowl books, I'm thinking somewhere around the size of the krakens in that.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:27 am »

Use shell to cover self for armor
Become huge
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:16 am »

Use shell to cover self for armor
Become huge

Soooooo... exactly what I suggested?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10