Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 537953 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »

Also worth noting re: arrows is that crossbows are plenty good at tearing through armor. Dunno if the hoberg are still around, but them or indie crossbow folks can do in a pinch if you're looking for ranged armor killers (that aren't mages, anyway), if your nation doesn't have crossbow access.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

Haven't seen Holberg yet, but yeah. Holberg Crossbowmen are cheap (relatively speaking anyway) and it's pretty glorious to watch 200 of them unleash crossbows at the same time. I've watched it decimate heavy cav before.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »

Started a new game as Vanheim.  Man these troops are expensive.  Also found a site for recruiting sages and a province that lets me recruit troll kings, trolls, armored trolls, and moose knight trolls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

Are the elves still good?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 10, 2014, 02:02:57 pm »

Started a new game as Vanheim.  Man these troops are expensive.  Also found a site for recruiting sages and a province that lets me recruit troll kings, trolls, armored trolls, and moose knight trolls.

i'm not certain what i should imagine when i hear "moose knight trolls"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »

Armored trolls riding moose. They're actually pretty deadly, ha.

Van... I can't recall much about them. I think the only one(s?) I've played much are the ones with the skinshifters (LA, at least. Think that's van, anyway...), and their initial strategy of "bury everything in skinshifters" is pretty simple :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »

Yeah these trolls are insane.  Too bad there's a recruit limit on them (3 per turn).  I'm playing as EA Vanheim, I used to hate fighting against them but now playing as them, the AI seem to dispel my illusions so easily.  Grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »

Trolls are nuts. I was having ~200 Merman getting rolled by ~50 Triton and Triton Guard. Add in 15 Sea Trolls? Crush them with minimal losses.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »

Is there a spell to find all astral sites in a province?  I can't seem to find it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2014, 03:10:21 pm »

Arcane Probing at Evocation 3. Three pearls, only takes one level of astral to cast.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »

Awesome, thanks Frumple!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

Also worth noting re: arrows is that crossbows are plenty good at tearing through armor. Dunno if the hoberg are still around, but them or indie crossbow folks can do in a pinch if you're looking for ranged armor killers (that aren't mages, anyway), if your nation doesn't have crossbow access.

Another thing to note is that slings are very nasty against anyone without helmets, even if their body is well-armored.

As a side note, the devs have made mention of possibly eventually revising slings to be more historically accurate rather than cleaving to conventional Gygaxian myths about their efficacy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »

Slings make for good, cheap, short ranged massed fire. I imagine they're not nearly as good in MA or LA, but in EA they can be pretty effective in bricks of 50.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »

Trolls are nuts. I was having ~200 Merman getting rolled by ~50 Triton and Triton Guard. Add in 15 Sea Trolls? Crush them with minimal losses.

if the Trolls had the trample trait that would explain it. Troglodytes oh how have i misjudged you
oddly enough giants dont have the trample trait

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:39 pm »

Trolls don't have trample, no, sea or otherwise*. They're just really rather good at killing most human-level opponents. Fairly tough (some protection), fairly sizable HP, regen and high strength. A solid group of them can wreck face on normal troops pretty easily. They're nice critters, just fairly expensive to get via normal means (i.e. summon). A recruitment site for 'em is... nice.

*Actually, the only native-underwater critter I can remember with trample is Asp Turtles (which are gloriously brutal monstrosities that can take most indie water provinces either solo or in groups of two or three and do horrible things to armies in general.) and... probably Leviathans, which are those but undead (and amphibious). Both really high up in terms of research, though. Conj or Ench 7.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 236