Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 91

Author Topic: @)~~}~ (RPG) Magia Exquisitis II: OOC ~{~~(@  (Read 56441 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: @)~~}~ Magia Exquisitis II: Interest Check + OOC ~{~~(@
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:20 pm »

Sounds good to me, I have no intention of changing my character.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:31 pm »

Mine's set.

Fate-Ninjary ho!
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »

I might find a way for people who don't make it into the game or don't have time to join to participate in some small way. I'm considering it.
Will you let us know when you're done considering it either way?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »

Sure. I'll likely make that call after the first meeting.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »

Since I've never actually played PTU, let's see if I understand the basic mechanics right:

During the Forum Turn, there's something called the Reflection Phase, during which you can spend Feature Points to get features, rituals, spells and cantrips. You also get Attribute Points which can be spent to increase Body, Mind or Spirit. And possibly Skill Points and Stat Points to go with them?

Skill checks are usually Xd6+Attribute where X is your skill rank, but can be [3+S]d6+Attribute if you have a specialization (S=Specialized ranks), or Xd4+Attribute if you're attempting a [Difficult] skill without enough ranks, or even [3+S]d4+Attribute if both are the case. Attribute checks are always 3d3+Attribute. Presumably specialized ranks are cheaper/easier to get than normal ranks?

Rolled attacks are always 1d20-Evasion vs. the AC (Accuracy Class) for the attack. Or, equivalently, 1d20 vs AC+Evasion. Or, perhaps most usefully, 1d20-AC vs. Evasion. Natural 20 is a Critical Hit, natural 1 is a Critical Fail, and if you roll less than Evasion on the 1d20 roll, the defender gets a counter action.

Damage is determined by adding Base Damage + Stat (+2 if you're of the same type as the attack? Do mages have types?) and then comparing to the Damage Chart, rolling the amount listed and then multiplying (if applicable) based on elemental weakness/strength/immunities.

Taking damage can cause Injuries, which prevent you from healing back up to max HP and can cause death if left untreated. You heal 1 Injury every 24 hours as long as you rest and don't get injured again.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:40 pm »

Since I've never actually played PTU, let's see if I understand the basic mechanics right:

During the Forum Turn, there's something called the Reflection Phase, during which you can spend Feature Points to get features, rituals, spells and cantrips. You also get Attribute Points which can be spent to increase Body, Mind or Spirit. And possibly Skill Points and Stat Points to go with them?

Skill checks are usually Xd6+Attribute where X is your skill rank, but can be [3+S]d6+Attribute if you have a specialization (S=Specialized ranks), or Xd4+Attribute if you're attempting a [Difficult] skill without enough ranks, or even [3+S]d4+Attribute if both are the case. Attribute checks are always 3d3+Attribute. Presumably specialized ranks are cheaper/easier to get than normal ranks?

Rolled attacks are always 1d20-Evasion vs. the AC (Accuracy Class) for the attack. Or, equivalently, 1d20 vs AC+Evasion. Or, perhaps most usefully, 1d20-AC vs. Evasion. Natural 20 is a Critical Hit, natural 1 is a Critical Fail, and if you roll less than Evasion on the 1d20 roll, the defender gets a counter action.

Damage is determined by adding Base Damage + Stat (+2 if you're of the same type as the attack? Do mages have types?) and then comparing to the Damage Chart, rolling the amount listed and then multiplying (if applicable) based on elemental weakness/strength/immunities.

Taking damage can cause Injuries, which prevent you from healing back up to max HP and can cause death if left untreated. You heal 1 Injury every 24 hours as long as you rest and don't get injured again.

I have not decided how I'm going to handle Mage Types, and I'm not sure if I'm keeping the same PTU injury mechanic, but otherwise I think you got it.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 12:37:35 pm »

So any ideas on how you'll decide the inhuman ancestry of internals?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »

Applying (well, already applied) the floor interest. Will write a character concept when I get to Nate's house.
Still alive, amazingly.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »

So any ideas on how you'll decide the inhuman ancestry of internals?

On a case by case basis, deciding what works based on the character backstory and the demands of the plot.

Applying (well, already applied) the floor interest. Will write a character concept when I get to Nate's house.

Good luck getting free time for a character sheet at Nate's house without yours truly to draw his attention.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2013, 01:41:22 pm »

Fuck it, my backstory was a six hundred word essay on how to be cliched. Sorry it took me so long to delete it and replace it with a sliiiightly shorter one on the exact same topic.

Character Name: David Clarent
Location of Origin: Eastern coast of the United States

Class: Druid
Theme/Style (in a sentence or less): Using the power gained from his pacts with spirits David focus on creation, viewing his use of magic as a sort of art as reality and his own body move fluidly under his hands to fit his needs. Thank god for commas.
Preferred Meeting Date: I guess I would like later in the week, but really, it does not matter to me.
Issue with Friday: Nope.

Spoiler: Character Background: (click to show/hide)

IC Response to Jan's Email:

Re: Employment Offer. That you will accept.

i'll meet you there I guess? uh... i hope you have some answers because i am confused.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:50:35 am by Criptfeind »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:13 pm »

Redid my theme/style again. Probably won't be touching it anymore, since I'm finally satisfied with it.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:06 pm »

Bit of mathhammering for Weirdsound/the players:

The mean number of Cantrip frequency spells you can cast in a day is equal to

[B+S] + [Summation from N=[B+S] to [4S+B] of P(U(4)^S > N+4-B)]

for S<2 and

[B+S] + [Summation from N=[B+S] to [6S+B] of P(U(6)^S > N+4-B)]

for S=3 and S>3, where U(x) is a uniform distribution of X integers, 1 through X; S is your ranks in Contain Magic; B is your Body attribute and N is the number of contain Magic checks you've made so far today.

Looks complicated, right? It is. But, fortunately, it comes out to be about equal to Average Roll - 4 for normal mages and Average Roll - 2 for Internal mages. And your average roll is Body + 2.5*CM skill for people with a CM skill of 0, 1 or 2 and Body + 3.5*CM skill for people with a CM skill of 3 or more.

tl;dr: You probably aren't going to run out of cantrips most days unless you're constantly using them for everything.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 03:34:42 am »

Character Name: Francis Wennington
Location of Origin: Bristol, England

Class: Scribe / Merchant thingy?
Theme/Style: Song. It's a quiet one, but she keeps some instruments on with her as she has to have the frame of mind for it.

Preferred Meeting Date: WED
Do you foresee any problems moving the playing date to Friday in Late August/Early Sept? No

Character Background:
Francis loved learning new things, especially at her young age. When she was four, she started going around and exploring the city of Paris all by herself. Her mom did not like that, though, but her and her dad both had different viewpoints on how to handle the matter. When she was seven, her parents split up, but with a stroke of luck, Francis was able to stay with her dad, who moved into her rich aunt's house over in England. There, she had libraries of books, and a new city to explore, more when she grew up and take the train. Her mom and dad still wanted to keep an eye on her, though, and asked everywhere for help. One day, when she was twelve, she found a magic shop. Going in, there was an old frail man. He had heard about her parents' wishes through the Network, and did what he thought was best. He offered to teach her the magic of the Network. She agreed, and over the past few years, she learned about the workings of the Network, brushing up and finding out her natural powers of information. When she was done, the letter came, and right before then, she told her parents about what she can do, and contacted them via magic in order for them to stop worrying, which...

IC Response:
To Jan:

I would love to join. I've heard about America so much, but I've never visited there (except for Hawaii, but I don't think it's right to judge a whole country by one little chain of islands.) I have switched the plane ticket for one sooner, though, so I can explore the city of Boston. It sounds like a lovely place, really, and I'd like to be able to look around where I will be staying before I decide to stay there. I will meet you there, though, definitely. Thank you for the opportunity!

Salutations:
Francis
Still alive, amazingly.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 04:24:06 am »

Wouldn't performance go better with your theme?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 04:26:22 am »

I call the room furthest from the mage who sings her magic and works during her sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 91