Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 5033 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:25 am »

Okay, well. I gotta say I'm kinda surprised more people haven't at least heard of it.

Ohh, i was informed about it thanks to youtube. However, not having a console, i try to avoid even thinking about games like TLoU or Journey.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:47 pm »

I wasn't actually trying to turn it into a whole race thing, I was trying to draw comparison to the two different Walking Dead games. If you're making a story driven game about zombies those are what you're going to be compared to. God help you if you're anything like the latest one.
I'm generally curious if it tries to do anything special apart from the father empowerment blandness created for mass consumption. I of course hope it will but I'm extremely cynical of drama based games since the writing of video games still seems to be very much in it's infancy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 12:04:51 pm »

Edit: Bloody 504. :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:10:17 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »

Oh yeah, it is PS3 exclusive. I thought I mentioned that, my bad.
Also, re: hype... the funny thing is, I was quite skeptical before getting it, due to all this crazy hype, but, amazingly, it actually delivers.
...I seem to remember some guy saying somewhere in an interview or such that it had 'The Best Multiplayer Experience Ever' or something along those lines? Seems pretty freaking far-fetched doesn't it? Well, I'm pondering that, and I cannot think of any other game that has come close to achieving such a thing.

@Catastrophic Lolcats: It does. I'm not about to go into the story, but it does. No doubt some hyper-critical asshole person will pick it to pieces, but the writing is excellent.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:09:45 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:35 pm »

I've watched the Lets Play by PewDiePie and pretty impressed so far.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 08:57:28 pm »

I've watched the Lets Play by PewDiePie and pretty impressed so far.
PEWDIEPIE IS THE WORST YOUTUBER HE ONLY CARES ABOUT THE MONEY RARRRRR *Begins frothing at mouth*
On a serious note, this does look very good. I don't own a PS3 though, so maybe when the price drops.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »

It's a very good game. Was waiting for this topic pop up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:36 am »

I was interested primarily due to the hype, but seeing as how every game reviewer is giving this game a 10/10 and praising it as if it has one of the best stories of the year makes me hesitant. Literally all I've been seeing is 10/10, and I sincerely doubt this game is good enough to be absolutely perfect in every regard. I'm going to wait until the hype dies down, and people start making honest reviews before I decide to shell out some cash for it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:46 am »

Already pre-ordered as I loved Uncharted and Naughty Dog has been getting exponentially more awesome. Probably the last good PS3 exclusive too!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 06:07:33 am »

I cleaned up the fighting.  Please don't go out of your way to violate the forum guidelines.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 06:25:14 am »

I'm a bit further in than inteuniso at the moment. The story/characters is everything that they've hyped it up to be.

Gameplay is linear, but quite strong. I like scavenging for supplies and crafting things. I like that the game lets me stealth around... most encounters. But I hate it when the story forces me into an encounter I can't run/hide from.

I've never liked shooting guns with a control stick, and this is no exception. Limited ammo + horrible ability to aim = you dead. There's an upgrade that lessens weapon sway, but that's only half the problem. The other half of the problem is that this is a console game, and shooters have no place on consoles. Thankfully you can melee (punches, makeshift weapons) or use molotovs/bombs. So if you're like me, you're not completely SOL in terms of combat ability.

I do want to quickly defend the game to anyone thinking "Meh, zombies..." as I did. They aren't zombies, they're Infected. They don't shamble, they aren't stupid; they're humans driven to madness and violence by a fungal infection that gradually consumes them. I mean, yeah, it basically amounts to the same thing, but I feel it's an important distinction to make. It's not just jumping on the tired old zombie bandwagon.

Atmosphere and pacing are top notch. The game will make you cry in the first ten minutes (no joke). The relationship between Joel and Ellie is wonderfully developed.

Play this for the story primarily, gameplay second.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:26:56 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:39 am »

This sort of thing makes me wish I have money. and it looks good!
I am getting alot of that these days..... even to the point where I would patronize Steam...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dont read the spoiler.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 07:23:45 am »

This sort of thing makes me wish I have money. and it looks good!

Save your money and watch a playthrough on youtube, You get the story that is recommended by others and you can skip the chest high wall shooting that is the same as all other console shooter games.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 07:46:57 am »

I have been watching a lets play of this and I really think this is a game you don't need to play at all to enjoy it, if you can find a lets play where the guy shuts up and just plays the game you can enjoy it just as if it was a tv show ( well for me anyway ).
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 07:48:48 am »

Ive been watching Day[9] play through. He is slow to upload, but pretty good commentary and he doesn't suck too badly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4