Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Magical Burst: A Game of Desperate Magical Girls OOC/Signup Thread  (Read 13529 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

IC THREAD

So, after signing up for a rather more freeform Magical Girl forum game on these forums that is run by Scapheap, a strange mood came over me and I felt like trying to GM again (never tried running a forum RPG, so this is a new one), and specifically to GM a game called Magical Burst, which is a story-based game inspired generally by the Magical Girl genre and specifically by Puella Magi Madoka Magicka.

The interesting about this game is that it is DARK. Horribly, horribly dark, fittingly with its inspiration.

So, I have a few questions for you all who sign up here, starting with a very, very simple one.

There are two different 'versions' of Magical Burst out right now.

The first, original version, currently in its third edition, can be found Here. it's a bit simpler than the second version, but isn't quite as feature-rich as it, either.

The second is a edited version of the ruleset written by a 4channer who goes by the handle 'Gilgamesh, King of Heroes', entitled Magical Burst: ReWrite. This version is MUCH more full-featured, with different classes of magical girls, an expanded skill system, and generally just a LOT of extra stuff bounding around in there, and is available Here.

We'll need to decide which to play before we roll up character sheets, so I'll leave it at that for now. Vote!

So that's done, and it looks like we're gonna play ReWrite!

ReWrite Manual

For characters, make a sheet using This plaintext format and post it here in a spoiler, please. I'll look them over at a later date.

ALSO! A standard group of Magical Girls is a team of three, so that's what I'm going to start with. Because of this, I'll be taking the BEST applications, not the FIRST applications, though they're likely to be one and the same, since I doubt a whole ton of people are going to be coming in.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:50:09 am by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Burst: A Game of Desperate Magical Girls - Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »

I'd go with the second one. Much more stuff in it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:57:23 pm »

Hm...I think that that's the same thing that that RtD I joined a while back was based on.

Let's try the second. I already know what I'm going to be making my MG...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »

A lot of the character creation has random options, too :p

So that's two for ReWrite!

In that case, unless we get a third person that absolutely will not want to use ReWrite, it's probably safe to be making a character for that. I'll make a link section in the OP, then.

Second question! Would you guys rather use the basic setting (Youma, get your wish after 15 seeds, etc. etc.), the PMMM-based setting (corruption instead of Overdrive, Witches, etc.), or to not have any idea which it is, or if it's something completely different, until it comes up in the plot?
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:42 pm »

Surprise me!

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:05:53 pm »

In that case, unless we get a third person that absolutely will not want to use ReWrite, it's probably safe to be making a character for that. I'll make a link section in the OP, then.

Second question! Would you guys rather use the basic setting (Youma, get your wish after 15 seeds, etc. etc.), the PMMM-based setting (corruption instead of Overdrive, Witches, etc.), or to not have any idea which it is, or if it's something completely different, until it comes up in the plot?

Rewrite seems more interesting.

I'd be in for doing this, but I have no idea what a Youma is or what seeds are... should I abstain from making a sheet?
I need to put something interesting here.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »

Rewrite seems more interesting.

I'd be in for doing this, but I have no idea what a Youma is or what seeds are... should I abstain from making a sheet?

It's in the manual, but put simply, Youma are the monsters of the week, seeds are used to grant your wish if you get fifteen of them in the stock setting and to undo corruption so you don't
Spoiler: PMMM Spoilers (click to show/hide)
in the PMMM based setting, where the Youma are replaced with Witches.

All the information is in the manual, I promise.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:09:53 pm »

I don't understand much about either setting, so I don't care.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:19 pm »

Then why post?

Personally I'm interested and did not know there was a full beta for a PMMM-based TTRPG. I'll make a character but doubt I have the time to play. Even if not, I'm watching with interest.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »

There's not terribly much difference other than one mechanic (Overcharge/Corruption).

Stock setting is MARGINALLY more survivable, since you don't have the sword of damocles hanging over your head if you use too much magic... and in PMMM, you WILL eventually use too much magic, since you can almost never have enough Grief Seeds to keep everyone at full purity.

EDIT: Okay, more specifically, you DO have the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head, but it's more likely to just cause things around you to blow up/you to fall in love with the next person you see/mutations than to kill you instantly and turn you into a boss monster.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:13:50 pm by ragnarok97071 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »

Then why post?
It's called an abstention. Basically, no one will be wondering what I will vote or if it could change the results.

P.S. Could you find a way to share that sheet that lets us copy-paste it?
Sig

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:13:52 pm »

Then why post?
It's called an abstention. Basically, no one will be wondering what I will vote or if it could change the results.

But they wouldn't anyway if you didn't post :P

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:14:37 pm »

Then why post?

P.S. Could you find a way to share that sheet that lets us copy-paste it?

On the google doc, File -> Download as -> .txt was what I did. But I can stick it on a pastebin or something if you want, yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:15 pm »

Then why post?
But they wouldn't anyway if you didn't post :P
The math proves that it could be important to know my vote. It's a precaution.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »

Oh, one more thing, since I have a sort of plot going on that's going to start off before you get turned into magical girls...

MAKE YOUR CHARACTERS AS HUMANS.

The personality stuff at the end is alright, even the 'why did you make the contract', since it'll help with that prologue chapter, but don't assign your class/abilities/magical stats yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10