Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: They don't haul  (Read 494 times)

sherwatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
They don't haul
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »

Hi everybody!

I am newbie, started to play today.
I downloaded the latest release and followed the instructions of this wiki article:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Quickstart_guide

I am stuck at the Delving Secure Lodgings -> Stockpiles part. I followed the instructions, but my dwarves don't haul to bring everything from the caravan to the stockpile. I didn't do anything else that the article hasn't told me. What is wrong?

Domitian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They don't haul
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »

Double check that the dwarves have access to the area (i'm sure they do), aren't restricted from doing there (by doors or settings) and that your stockpile settings are correct. q the stockpile and go back into the custom settings and check that all of the items mentioned in the guide are (e) Enabled

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:54:39 pm »

Check the standing orders (o):
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Orders

Check the stockpile (q over the stockpile):
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Stockpile#Will_take_from_anywhere

If you have made an entrance by channeling or with stairs it is most likely that you have accidently removed the supporting wall for the ramp or that the stairs are diconnected or otherwise blocked.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:01:40 pm by Laurin »

sherwatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »

I checked 3 random dwarvef and they have the haul labor. There are no doors, I just mined a hole into a mountain. I mined a room for the stockpile and before I assigned it, I moved the chalks to outside from the room. Every dwarf helped bringing out the chalks. So they can reach both the caravan and the stockpile room. The stockpile's settings are the same that the article suggests (custom settings). I am a newbie, so I don't even know how to perform a lot of things, but I think my (default) settings are correct and they should haul. Maybe just tiny point I am missing, but don't know what. I just followed the article. There are barrels of wines for example at the caravan.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »

What does it say in the stockpile's additional options? I know I messed that up in the beginning: If you turn off both organic and inorganic option your stockpile won't accept anything.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:24 pm »

check how many barrels are enabled for the stockpile and if wheelbarrows are set to be used?

edit:
and please really check the stockpile setting with (q). You may think it is set right, you ma even be right, but untill you check it's not sure and pretty easy to do wrong
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:27:59 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:28:06 pm »

Or try to make a new stockpile. Don't change anything, type p for stockpile and place a tiny one somewhere. Than q over it and uncheck animals, which is default and check food and goods and furniture, just to see whether it would work.

You could also remove the stockpile and place it anew. (To remove, type p, than x, than draw the rectangle on the old stockpile).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:33:20 pm by Laurin »

sherwatt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »

Okay, in the advanced options the animals and non-animals was toggled off, I think this resolved the problem... kind of. The problem is, only one dwarf started to bring things into the stockpile, the rest are just idling. But they have the hauling labor.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »

do you have the stockpile to use 1 wheelbarrow?  in which case only 1 dwarf will haul there.  in general a good number of wheelbarrows per stockpile is 3 (stone) or 0 (almost anything else).

The "all things in one stockpile" is not really great practice.  You're better off anyway making separate stockpiles for food, crafts, blocks, wood, furniture.  and then if you make one small mistake you will have more of a frame of reference to give folks more info to try to help you with.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »

Try to keep most things at default settings until you get the hang of the interface and how stockpiles/workshops/orders work. It's hard enough to learn the game without fiddling around in the nitty-gritty of the stockpile options.

Also, if you accidentally hit "a" while looking at the stockpile it would set it to only accept from links. Make sure it says "Accept from anywhere" on it. Though you said you've got 1 dwarf hauling there now, so you're probably okay on that account. It sounds like a wheelbarrow problem, as these guys have said.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.