Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519583 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3540 on: October 16, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »

To be fair, he's a very punishing boss to fight even with the statues gone. High damage attacks with a large sweep will do that you know. You don't get much of a chance to recover from your mistakes. That 93% defeat rate was gained for a reason.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: October 16, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »

Oh, I'm not blaming it entirely on people not doing something as basic as getting the Iron Stakes. :P He's a hard boss and I'll readily admit to only being able to beat him one out of every four or five times (not counting when I first played the DLC and didn't know what to expect, when it took me more like twenty tries).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: October 16, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »

It annoys me when things aren't physical until you're within a relatively short range. In Saint's Row 3, it's no fun to wreak havoc with the helicopter because you have to be skimming just above ground level for civilians, gangsters and cops to actually exist.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: October 16, 2016, 08:41:20 pm »

It annoys me when things aren't physical until you're within a relatively short range. In Saint's Row 3, it's no fun to wreak havoc with the helicopter because you have to be skimming just above ground level for civilians, gangsters and cops to actually exist.

Is this just a problem with the console version, or...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: October 16, 2016, 09:20:12 pm »

I think the same limitations exist since who puts effort into a PC port? It does render very low-rez stuff on the ground so the streets look populated, though.

Same reason the nukepunch is useless in SR4, if you dive from high enough to use the nuke, nothing exists to kill.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: October 16, 2016, 09:22:21 pm »

I've only noticed it from nukepunch altitude (on PC), never from helicopter altitude (even in SR3). I seem to recall having army jeeps shooting at me from the ground when I helicoptered over the army base.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: October 17, 2016, 12:50:13 am »

I'm mistaken then. I only used flyers for transport in 3 and no vehicles at all in 4 (no need) so it's not something I ran into very often.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: October 18, 2016, 04:28:10 am »

I think the same limitations exist since who puts effort into a PC port? It does render very low-rez stuff on the ground so the streets look populated, though.
This doesn't necessarily require any effort - just tweaking the criterion that defines when simulation methods are switched. Which may be a constant, or result of mini-benchmark, depending on how much developers can be arsed to do.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: October 18, 2016, 10:30:57 am »

Games with lots of levels, where being under-leveled by a handful of levels means everyone's just out of your league. Even worse if it's coop multiplayer without some kind of level matching trick (like how some MMOs "raise" your level close to the other players, for hp/damage calculation purposes without actually giving you special abilities), because that means teaming with your friends is really annoyingly hard. Borderlands games, I'm looking at you.

This annoys me also because you just need to level your weapon over and over and over. You can't keep a cool pistol for longer than an hour or so because its damage becomes more and more pitiful as you advance. This is worse with "Unique" weapons, they end up in the trashcan way too quickly. I've been playing BL2 in a group for a few weeks and this is always a problem, I'm starting to think this game would be better without levels at all.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: October 18, 2016, 11:38:17 am »

Welcome to the treadmill, there is your wheel and right next to it is the water bottle with the sipper tube.

On that note, yea, I've got a whole lot less tolerance for progression mechanics like that these days.  And some of the games that allow you to upgrade gear is either crazy time-consuming/expensive or doesn't actually bring the gear up to par with higher grade gear.  ... Or both.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: October 18, 2016, 03:13:41 pm »

Honestly? If the best thing about a weapon is its look, there should be an easy fix! Some games do cosmetic armor slots and the actual armor armor slots. Do that for weapons :P

That way at least you're able to have a cool looking sword or gun, even if it works completely different than its look says. Then again, in borderlands it probably wouldn't work. Never played it myself as it never interested me, sooo... Don't have anything to say on that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: October 18, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »

What Borderlands needs/needed is an *expensive* way to keep the same gun while upgrading it.  The game's a bit desperate for money sinks, even Elerium (semi-precious resource) sinks.  We got some of our best loot from the one-armed bandits in the bar (;))

The nifty parts system seems designed to allow a Ship of Theseus situation.  You start with Moxxy's Bad Touch and have to scrounge Maliwan smgs for identical-yet-higher-level parts.  Then pay some massive cost to do the smithing.  Would have to be replacing identical parts, though, because letting you build a gun out of any parts would be hilariously overpowered :P

Meh I've always liked the idea of getting attached to a piece of equipment.  ToME 2 (the Middle Earth versions) had super-rare "intelligent" randarts which would gain abilities as you used them.  That was nice.  (Even though one of the "abilities" was "cause earthquakes" which was basically a "fuck you" to the player, too awkward to keep using).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:37 pm »

Honestly? If the best thing about a weapon is its look, there should be an easy fix! Some games do cosmetic armor slots and the actual armor armor slots. Do that for weapons :P

That way at least you're able to have a cool looking sword or gun, even if it works completely different than its look says. Then again, in borderlands it probably wouldn't work. Never played it myself as it never interested me, sooo... Don't have anything to say on that.

It's not the weapon looks that matter, but that they may have a cool effect, or triple shot or something like that, or maybe it had really good stats for its level, it's still basically trash after 2 levels.

For example: the Pimpernel in BL2. You can get it as soon as you hit level 20. But you can also wait until level 30. It does some splashy thing that goes up and does lots of damage, often headshots twice while aiming at the torso. If you get it early, you have to discard it because soon some common white gun is just going to outdamage it anyway. At 30, you kinda don't have much time to enjoy it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:29:21 pm by Sergius »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:26 pm »

That kind of reminds me: I hate it when there's no way to make ridiculous-looking armor look like the character's default or canonical outfit.

You know what I mean; it's like when you dress up as some sort of pimp-wizard-clown-Batman because you need that +2 to critical hit, or when the developers designed a character class uniform with very specific intent--say, one character in a party-based JRPG, or one race or gender in single-character games--and it looks bizarre and garish on everybody else. One of my favorite games but also one of the worst examples is Xenoblade Chronicles; the game has a lot of emotive moments and a very powerful plot in general, but it's kind of hard to take a lot of scenes in the game seriously when, say, the main character is wearing what looks like sixty pounds of electronic scrap, his mentor is dressed up as some sort of waistcoat-clad tribal warlord, and the healer is clad in a bikini top and floating Viking horns.

Some games avoid this by making wearing a complete set optimal--Monster Hunter is a prime example of this. There's no reason to dress up as a bare-chested samurai with a fish helmet when a full suit of samurai, fish, or bare-chested barbarian armor is objectively superior. Other games let you just reset or change your characters' appearances (but keep their stats the same) with an item or skill--for example, I have no regrets about blowing 800,000 pg on Freelancer costumes in Bravely Default, which otherwise would have suffered from it very badly.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: October 18, 2016, 06:59:00 pm »

It's particularly convenient in Terraria and Stardew Valley (and I think WoW and other MMORPGs maybe?):  "Social" or "vanity" slots.  Slots that don't affect your stats, just override your character's appearance.

It's silly, but games are silly.  Could be tactically important in some games of course, so it's clear why it isn't a given.  Cool though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 324