Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519947 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3000 on: February 17, 2016, 02:02:15 pm »

New character Heavy Cameo Games

It is annoying when a game meant to have characters from many games, series, or shows ends up just catering to the newest ones over anything else.

Example: So Heroes of the Storm if there is one huge fault of it... it is that it really is just an advertisement platform for their newest games. They have a huge library of relevant, important, and interesting characters but always stick to their latest one. I am still waiting for Maephisto but they haven't included a Diablo character from before 3.

Playstation All Stars is another example but I think its spread was more then decent.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 17, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »

You mean kind of like Super Smash Emblem for 3DS and Wii U?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3002 on: February 17, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »

It is annoying when a game meant to have characters from many games, series, or shows ends up just catering to the newest ones over anything else.

Example: So Heroes of the Storm if there is one huge fault of it... it is that it really is just an advertisement platform for their newest games. They have a huge library of relevant, important, and interesting characters but always stick to their latest one. I am still waiting for Maephisto but they haven't included a Diablo character from before 3.

Playstation All Stars is another example but I think its spread was more then decent.
If you like fighting games then M.U.G.E.N. might scratch that itch. Really though if you want references to old games then that's not something you can rely on a big business to deliver. It has to be a fan project (like M.U.G.E.N.). Character action games aren't really my bag but it's always amusing to think about characters that are really crappy fighters in-universe being balanced into a fighting game until they're just as deadly as someone who's using a firearm.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: February 17, 2016, 06:47:42 pm »

Whaaaa? I recognized several of the Diablo characters despite only playing as far as the Butcher in Diablo 1 and halfway through Diablo 2 (and an hour or two of D3, which I have completely forgotten because it was so boring). I think everyone I recognized was in Diablo 2, Tyrael and Diablo for example.

P.S. The Lost Vikings!!!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:15 pm »

Ill-fitting mods

See this is the thing that drives me crazy about mods, and doubly so Minecraft mods. It's the number one complaint I have with virtually every mod for every heavily-modded game out there.

I REALLY want to play Thaumcraft, based on recent discussion in Games You Wish Existed. But, based on the screenshots I've seen, it looks nothing like the base game at all, and that will bug the shit out of me to no end. I tried Mo' Creatures when that was popular. I couldn't stand it and I uninstalled it immediately because the things the mod added very obviously didn't belong.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: February 17, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »

Whaaaa? I recognized several of the Diablo characters despite only playing as far as the Butcher in Diablo 1 and halfway through Diablo 2 (and an hour or two of D3, which I have completely forgotten because it was so boring). I think everyone I recognized was in Diablo 2, Tyrael and Diablo for example.

P.S. The Lost Vikings!!!

Lost Vikings one is pretty much the only one. Not that they are going to add any Lost Viking bosses...

The Butcher is the Diablo 3 version, The Skeleton King is the Diablo 3 version. Diablo uniquely is the Diablo 2 version (which is odd to me).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:13:51 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: February 17, 2016, 11:26:26 pm »

The Butcher is the Diablo 3 version, The Skeleton King is the Diablo 3 version. Diablo uniquely is the Diablo 2 version (which is odd to me).

Tyrael has his Diablo 2 appearance as well. I have no idea who the Skeleton King is.

I recognize some from Starcraft despite never playing Starcraft 2:
Zeratul, Tassadar, and Raynor, for instance. Raynor's missing his ride for some reason. Kerrigan too, but I don't remember having her as a playable character ever in Starcraft 1. (I don't know if I finished the campaigns, probably not)

Also the siege tank character.

P.S. I don't know who Nova is (I mean, she's obviously a Ghost), but you can change her color scheme to the red one (once leveled up enough) which basically makes her look just like human Kerrigan from SC1.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:02 pm »

Skeleton King is King Leoric, from Diablo 1. He was an optional boss that could appear in your game, depending on which four side quests were picked for your save file (they were random each time). I thought his Diablo 3 appearance was really dumb, but that entire game's story is a slideshow of failure after failure so moving on.

Kerrigan was a Zerg hero in Starcraft 1, although she didn't really rise to prominence until the expansion Brood War.

Nova is from an infamous cancelled Starcraft game, but she was introduced to the canon anyway via novels. I'm pretty sure those came out before Starcraft 2 was even announced as existing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: February 17, 2016, 11:34:38 pm »

Raynor has his appearance from SC2, same with kerrigan.  Nova is a ghost in SC2 for a short bit (she might have been in the first too?  Not sure)

Either way, it actually irritates men when games use 'old version' characters when in their own story they've changed and grown.  That is unless the games explicitly a prequel but that's not really applicable to a moba.
Nom nom nom

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: February 17, 2016, 11:56:23 pm »

Ill-fitting mods

See this is the thing that drives me crazy about mods, and doubly so Minecraft mods. It's the number one complaint I have with virtually every mod for every heavily-modded game out there.

I REALLY want to play Thaumcraft, based on recent discussion in Games You Wish Existed. But, based on the screenshots I've seen, it looks nothing like the base game at all, and that will bug the shit out of me to no end. I tried Mo' Creatures when that was popular. I couldn't stand it and I uninstalled it immediately because the things the mod added very obviously didn't belong.

If it is the right one I am thinking of, I kinda wonder why it hasn't decided to attempt to break away from Minecraft to become its own thing, just due to how much it winds up changing within the game.  Admittedly, there are probably a few reasons I'm missing that they don't attempt that...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: February 18, 2016, 12:12:19 am »

Ill-fitting mods

If it is the right one I am thinking of, I kinda wonder why it hasn't decided to attempt to break away from Minecraft to become its own thing, just due to how much it winds up changing within the game.  Admittedly, there are probably a few reasons I'm missing that they don't attempt that...
Copy right to a good chunk of the code Thaumcraft is built around Possibly?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: February 18, 2016, 01:03:13 am »

Ok here is one I never thought I'd give as a pet peave... because until now only one game has ever done this... until Live is Strange.

Unmotivated protagonists

The world is about to end! OHH NO! quick! Sleep on the couch! Eat Cheetos! Do anything but actually solve the problem or mitigate it somehow.

It is one thing to Meander around and do a lot of side problems. Yet it is another to just completely forget the big issue of the game in exchange for other things.

Either way, it actually irritates men when games use 'old version' characters when in their own story they've changed and grown.  That is unless the games explicitly a prequel but that's not really applicable to a moba.

Same. I don't even like it when a game sort of "depowers" a character or makes it seem like they did absolutely nothing when you aren't around.

The exceptions now... THOSE are spectacular. Like in one of the Shadowrunner games where you can find the main character of another Shadowrun game. He might be weaker (mostly because you interrupt his story... Kind of finding him in the prequel area) but he is every bit as overpowered and broken as he should.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: February 18, 2016, 01:51:47 am »

Speaking of apathy...

One of the things Golden Sun did was give you options for how to respond to situations as the game came up. Most of them were "oh, but we're gonna do this anyway" with slightly different dialog... buuuut.... At the end of the tutorial the town elders ask your player characters (two teenage boys who'd just gotten their asses beat by the main bosses, IIRC) if they're ready to jump at the call to adventure.

If you say no, the elders say "Oh. Yeah, you're probably right, it was a silly idea." and the game ends right there.

You can also use it to mess with the infodump NPC who tags along. If you oppose every single one of his "we should go here now!" advice speeches, he'll eventually have a breakdown and throw a tantrum at you.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: February 18, 2016, 01:55:52 am »

You can also use it to mess with the infodump NPC who tags along. If you oppose every single one of his "we should go here now!" advice speeches, he'll eventually have a breakdown and throw a tantrum at you.

Given how dang annoying that guy will become in the second... He deserves it.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: February 18, 2016, 03:20:58 am »

Bandits that are in the middle of nowhere
Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are all guilty of this to some extent. Basically, bandits are just located in random places on the map, just sitting there, instead of being in places that are near important trade/travel routes like most bandits would be.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 324