Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518017 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1380 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »

My time with DotA (Which was admittedly short) was actually a pretty friendly community. Not exactly open-armed, mind you, but certainly not as bad as I've heard them to be.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 14, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »

The same thing with the communities is a bit of a problem with fighting games. I really like Street Fighter and the like, not very good, but even if the abrasiveness is only a few people it does tend to colour ones perception towards the negative. Something which pops up with competitiveness in general I suppose but I kind of wish it was a bit more like mucking around with friends over in Mario Kart or GoldenEye64.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 14, 2015, 08:25:49 pm »

The same thing with the communities is a bit of a problem with fighting games. I really like Street Fighter and the like, not very good, but even if the abrasiveness is only a few people it does tend to colour ones perception towards the negative. Something which pops up with competitiveness in general I suppose but I kind of wish it was a bit more like mucking around with friends over in Mario Kart or GoldenEye64.

Those games are more than 12 years old, and had no online component. Of course they're going to be more fun, since you're in the same room as your friends while playing them.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 14, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »

Those games are more than 12 years old, and had no online component. Of course they're going to be more fun, since you're in the same room as your friends while playing them.

Indeed, it is why I said I wish. I don't take multiplayer very seriously. Win or lose I like to have moments of awesome, like pulling off a supermove or using a powerful item. These things tend to fall to the wayside in multiplayer for being inefficient or the like.

Related to this, I don't really like how in StarCraft II there are no asymmetrical maps because they're not conductive to competitive gameplay even though there was some present in StarCraft I. StarCraft II as a whole felt a bit too geared towards the competitive player base what with the A.I giving up after a point and rushing being the main tactic.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:58 pm »

What do you mean by 'giving up'?
The circle is complete.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »

In StarCraft II, when the A.I is beaten back to a point where it can't recover (say, losing all of it's workers or most of it's base) it'll send the message "gg" and not try to build up again. While I understand there isn't much to do from such a position, having it feel like the A.I gives up on the fight before I have decided it's over kind of kicks the enjoyment out from under my victory.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:46 pm »

Star Craft II's AI in general was a bit tacked on.

As of waaaaaay back when I played it (close to release) the AI had one tactic, which was sending out competent early rush.  If that failed, it would send the same waves again and again, slightly upgrading them each time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:09 pm »

Ohh yeah! Risking our lives and protecting people from life and death situations AWESOME!

You know, just because the player finds it fun to save the day probably doesn't mean the characters should find it awesome.

I often have a lot of issue when characters sort of have this mentality... People are almost getting killed and the next fight may very well be your last.

You could MAYBE treat it with SOME amount of gravity? Let us know this isn't a videogame and that we know you are never going to lose.

OHH NO! We are going to lose!!! it makes total sense!

Ok I don't like the opposite either. Look, we handle it quite well and while this is dangerous... This situation hasn't escalated THAT much. Maybe you shouldn't soothsay my downfall juuust yet?

Anime Storytelling in JRPGs

This one is quite old. It wasn't that RPGs didn't TRY to be like animes even from the beginning (Just look at Bartz whole adventure), but they always had a sort of feel to them that was uniquely their own. They sort of sought to have their own aesthetics and storylines separate from how an anime would have. HECK one of the concepts of the Dragon Quest games, at least early on, was that it was about whole generations and thus many types of companions would come along.

Yet there is this growing trend to make JRPGs pretty much Anime through and through. Which we sort of have the Tales games for.

Only Us Teens

Ok I don't know why this bugs me... but it does...

Why are some games allergic to older people? Would it kill you to include a freeken adult? There is no reason why everyone in this party needs to be a child.

Ultimate Upgrade of Post-Game Uselessness!

Wow, I got the ultimate weapon that required me to fight the hardest boss in the game before the last boss! I can't WAIT to use this... What? Its useless because I already beat the boss I would have probably wanted to use it on?

Well why the heck do I have it?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 14, 2015, 10:28:47 pm »

Well why the heck do I have it?

New Game +, obviously.

Wait, you mean the game doesn't have new game plus? Or it only makes the game harder and adds literally nothing else?

New Game + Modes (in linear story-driven games) That Don't Add Anything Extra

Maybe I'm just too used to the VN way of doing things, but I hate it when NG+ has nothing... Well, new. I've always wanted to see a NG+ mode that like, adds extra paths to take or something. This boss that's meant to be unbeatable? Kick their ass and get a different story. Of course, most games don't have the dev budget.
I'm pretty Chrono Trigger did this pretty well, but I'm talking about whole new party members and the like that add to the story in some way. They aren't just there to look pretty, essentially.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 14, 2015, 10:45:11 pm »

Might have a New Game + without anything new...

Or it might not have a new game+ at all.

I'm pretty Chrono Trigger did this pretty well,

It didn't, outside its multiple ending system.

But at least it has the excuse of being the game that popularized the Newgame+ and did it incredibly early and yet still tried to put its own spin on it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 15, 2015, 01:24:25 am »

I felt like the alternate endings in Chrono Trigger were plenty of incentive/justification for newgame+.  More so than most games that have it.  On the third "playthrough", short-circuiting everything and facing Lavos entirely alone...  There was something especially eerie about the complete lack of dialogue (the main character is mute, as is Lavos).  Victory wasn't difficult at that level, but it was surprisingly satisfying.

Disgaea lets you increase the difficulty (using the hilarious senate-voting system) so early levels don't have to be an absolute breeze...  But really the newgame+ mode doesn't serve much purpose, the real post-endgame content is the item worlds and bonus dungeons.  I did replay the story missions once though, to re-experience the humor (and occasional moments of actual emotion).

I like newgame+ mode in general, even when it's just a way to replay the story without any challenge.  It's even better when challenges are available, though, otherwise it can get boring fast.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:54 am »

Inconsistent level lengths

It's a really weird peeve, I know, but it bugs the hell out of me. In KOTOR2, each planet is basically a "level", but they're wildly different in scope. Korriban is just two easy-peasy dungeons and you're done with the entire thing. No sidequests, no pazaak tables, not even a hub area. Granted they're pretty neat dungeons, but you can probably beat the entire thing in one sitting if you know what to do and built your party even moderately well. But Onderon is basically two planets' worth of content: there's a turret minigame, over a dozen sidequests, a big main quest line, about a billion minor NPCs, etc. etc.

But what bothers me isn't that Korriban is really short or that Onderon is really long, it's that they're much different sizes in the same game. :-\
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:00 am »

It's a really weird peeve, I know, but it bugs the hell out of me. In KOTOR2, each planet is basically a "level", but they're wildly different in scope. Korriban is just two easy-peasy dungeons and you're done with the entire thing. No sidequests, no pazaak tables, not even a hub area. Granted they're pretty neat dungeons, but you can probably beat the entire thing in one sitting if you know what to do and built your party even moderately well. But Onderon is basically two planets' worth of content: there's a turret minigame, over a dozen sidequests, a big main quest line, about a billion minor NPCs, etc. etc.

But what bothers me isn't that Korriban is really short or that Onderon is really long, it's that they're much different sizes in the same game. :-\

So you think the Very Definitely Final Dungeon should be the same as the tutorial Zone?

'Kay.
The circle is complete.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 15, 2015, 02:30:56 pm »

So you think the Very Definitely Final Dungeon should be the same as the tutorial Zone?

'Kay.

Basically the same thing as the Final Boss being easier to kill than a boss you fought earlier in the game, I think. Always a pain in the arse that one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 15, 2015, 03:32:48 pm »

Easy Peasy Beautiful Final Boss

I HATE easy final bosses. You spent all this time leveling up, playing building skill finding equipment. Now is the final showdown where you can show EXACTLY what you are made of!

Ohh wait sorry turns out it is a curb stomp battle.

I honestly think the only reason why final bosses are so easy is because they are scared players might get stuck...

Seriously nothing kills the feeling a game gives me then a easy final boss. It makes me feel like they were never a big deal.

Final Bosses many many times more difficult then anything you fought before

The opposite is also a peeve of mine. Where the game feels like trying to build yourself up JUST for the final boss. Everything else before him was pointless.

Some games skirt along this well. For example in Romancing Saga Saren is described as an god and the game lets you know how much of a big deal he is... and when you fight him? YEAH he definitely is... Yet the tactics for defeating him are not contrary to how you fought previously.

The games that sort of do this the worst are Roguelikes ALWAYS! (no exceptions) where bosses are basically noob traps you were meant to plan for from the very start.

Delay Tactic Boss

Ohh look... the boss has tons of HP... and can heal itself... and can stun you for a few turns as it heals.

When I first heard of bosses that took literal hours to defeat I was like "Wow! that must be some epic boss fight" only to finally see these bosses and find out that.

No... They were long slogs.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 324